Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

i have a question about my 0-3 month old

but i prefer to ask it here.  :P  every night at around 8 or 9, Penny gets ridiculous.  she cries and cries and nothing we do (mylicon, gripe water, nursing, tummy, rocking, front pack, swing, bouncy, paci, etc etc ad nauseum)  nothing works.

and then when she's done her best crying for an hour, she finally settles and goes to sleep.  it can't be colic, right?  i thought that was an all day thing.  this is just an hour every night thing. 

Re: i have a question about my 0-3 month old

• Options

I think it's normal for babies to have a "witching hour." Usually they grow out of it around 3 months (although Charlie seems to be ramping his up even more which is really confusing me). I think they usually say that to be colic it has to go on for 3 or more hours per day.

Hopefully she stops soon! I know it can be nerve wracking!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Our baby had those rough evenings, too, without it really being the textbook "colic." It goes away!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't know much about colic but I do think it tends to flare up at night (from my understanding, it lasts more than an hour...around 3 or so hours)

Sorry:( That's so sad...Emmerson used to get fussy too...not colicky but def. fussy for extended periods of time (she did have reflux) and we would just bounce and shoosh...and bounce and shoosh. Our yoga ball was the best thing.  Could it be reflux?

• Options
    It's her 'witching hour.' Liliana had the same exact thing at the same exact time for months too.
  • Options
    I think this is really common. And I always thought that colic is typically in the evening. My niece had a horrible case of it, and for her it was 5:00 - 9:00 every single night. I hope it resolves for you soon.
  • Options

I have heard of babies going through this.  I hope she grows out of it quickly!!

I wrote you back already, too! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    like the other replies have said, it's probably just her bad time of day.  However, if she's been awake for a while at that point in the evening, then she could be overtired.  When my DS was that little, he could really only be awake for about 1 hour (including eating) before needing to go back to sleep.  Not sure what your schedule is like, but if necessary you may consider trying to get her to sleep much earlier (if that's even the case!)
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ugh, sorry Cali. When Asher was a NB he cried for 1-2 hours every evening. The thing that worked was holding him upright on my lap while bouncing on an exercise ball, sometimes with the dustbuster going. This was the magic combo, it had to be vigorous bouncing, nothing else worked. And then we figured out that he needed to go to bed at that time. Around 6-8 weeks we started putting him to bed at 7:30-8 (still do) and that was the end of the witching hour.
  • Options
    fab- dh and i were just discussing this.  maybe this means the end of keeping her up on the couch with us till we're ready?  i guess she could be telling us she needs to go to bed.  we'll give it a go tomorrow night. 
  • Options
    Our son did that up until 3 or 4 months--every night from about 6 to 7, he'd scream. and scream. We figured out that if we walked outside with him (it was warm) he would instantly stop. We'd sometimes put his swing on the porch and let him sit out there while we just sat by him and he'd just hang out. Baths also helped.
  • Options
    Like the pp said, our DD went through the exact same thing from about 6-12 weeks she would cry from about 5-9pm.  It was a nightmare!  I wish I could tell you how to fix it.
  • Options

imagemegd06:
    Our son did that up until 3 or 4 months--every night from about 6 to 7, he'd scream. and scream. We figured out that if we walked outside with him (it was warm) he would instantly stop. We'd sometimes put his swing on the porch and let him sit out there while we just sat by him and he'd just hang out. Baths also helped.

Oh yeah!  Walking outside always helped for us, too!

• Options

imagekelbrian:
    It's her 'witching hour.' Liliana had the same exact thing at the same exact time for months too.

Yep, this.

Fortunately the evening fussiness usually peaks around 6 weeks so hopefully the worst will be behind you soon.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    That sounds exactly like colic. Colic lasts less than 3 hours a day and usually happens in the evening.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"