Success after IF
Options

when did you start reading parenting books?

Re: when did you start reading parenting books?

• Options
    I've recently started reading Happiest Baby on the Block.  This is my first parenting book.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I will eventually read the Happiest baby on the Block.  My SIL and some friends swear by it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I read Happiest Baby on the Block when I was pg.  That's not really a parenting book IMO so much as techniques to soothe a newborn.  We did all that swaddle/shush stuff and it definitely works.  I recommend getting the video from the library to see it in action as it really helps you understand it.

Then I read a lot around 5-6 months when sleep was becoming an issue.  I didn't want to sleep train but I tried reading the leading books to see what might help.  I read The Baby Whisperer, Baby Wise, The No Cry Sleep Solution, Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child.  They come from all different perspectives and I can honestly say I learned something useful from each of them.  In the end, I digested all of that information and ended up following my gut on how to handle sleep with my little ones in a way that works for us.

• Options
    About a week before Ava was born (seriously, lol).  I liked The Happiest Baby on the Block and The Baby Whisperer.
    My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • Options
    Before I had DS, I read The Baby Whisperer and I'm REALLY glad I did.  She talks about her E.A.S.Y. routine so I had that in my head as soon as we brought DS home.  I think if I had waited until he was home from the hospital I would have been too tierd to think about it!  But we did her routine from the start and he really responded well.
    imageimageimage
    TTC #1: IUI #2 = BFP , Betas 550 (16 dpiui), 1523 (18 dpiui)
    Hypothyroid, LPD, FSH 13.0, TTC 2 yrs B4 BFP

TTC #2: FSH 23, AMA, IUI 1, 2, 3 = BFN, IVF #1 = MC
    IVF #2 = BFP - Betas 194 (14dp2dt), 366 (16 dp2dt), 841 (18 dp2dt)
    (vanished twin ~7 weeks)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I didn't read any.  I read BabyWise after she got here and didn't like it or agree with it at all.

Oh... well - I do read your baby week by week, but that isn't really advice as much as it is "your baby should be doing x, y, and z by now."  Which isn't really helpful either : ) 

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I started at like 12 weeks with my singleton but I was on modified bedrest so I had lots of time.

I much prefer the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD to the book- it really helped to see some of the techniques.  I swear by Secrets of the Baby Whisperer and, to a lesser extent, Babywise, but it's not for everyone- they are both about putting a baby on a routine which definitely worked like a charm for us but which isn't for all families. 

I read alot of the sleep books too- Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby;  Solve your Child's Sleep Problems and the No Cry Sleep Solution (horrible book IMO). 
  • Options

Wait . . . There are books?!?!

I don't think it's ever too early to start reading, since you won't have much time to do in-depth reading once they're here.

• Options

I really only read breastfeeding books beforehand...I SHOULD have read some sleep books, but I didn't.

Get the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD...its great.  Other than that, I have a stack of books I haven't had time to read ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"