Upstate NY Babies

How do you punish a 15 month old??

Evan just repeatedly hit Leah (who is sleeping on the couch) on the head with his sippy cup...basically until I could get over there and take him away.

I lifted him up and sternly told him NO...but he laughed at me. I put him in his crib for a time-out.

I guess I wasn't prepared for this...he is normally perfect (haha, j/k) What do you do??

Re: How do you punish a 15 month old??

• I think at that age, it's all redirection and telling him no like you did.  Our pedi told us that he probably wouldn't "get" time out until 18 months.  G always had sleep issues so once he finally started sleeping well, we decided not to use the crib as a time out place so he didn't have a negative association with his bed.  I'm sorry that happened to Leah!
  • Personally, we would probably spank - for things like putting himself in danger or hurting others.  But I don't know what age we would start that and am not familiar with a 15 month old, like what they understand.  IIf I was doing time outs though, I wouldn't want to do it in the crib.  Maybe have a special time-out only place, like a mat or something.  We have a gate that connects in a circle if the issue is that he will get up and leave.  If you don't have anything like that, maybe put the mat in the crib?  But just so he associates it with the mat and not the crib maybe?
  • Loading the player...
  • What is it about sippys? Justin clocked (MelissaSue's) Eve on the head with one a few weeks ago :(

Our ped said we could start time out- 1 minute for every year old they are. I don't know how the heck we could get him to sit in one place. I've read that you should re-direct. We're having TONS of trouble with Justin's garbage can obsession and I've tried; "no, no", moving him away, distracting him, several locks and even a little "biff" on his hand but I can't figure anything out. It's SO hard to discipline them at this age.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsWhiteonWhiteSt:

What is it about sippys? Justin clocked (MelissaSue's) Eve on the head with one a few weeks ago :(

Our ped said we could start time out- 1 minute for every year old they are. I don't know how the heck we could get him to sit in one place. I've read that you should re-direct. We're having TONS of trouble with Justin's garbage can obsession and I've tried; "no, no", moving him away, distracting him, several locks and even a little "biff" on his hand but I can't figure anything out. It's SO hard to discipline them at this age.

Melanie - if you want to do time outs, just keep with it.  Gavin didn't get it at first and thought it was a game...wouldn't sit still at all.  But he eventually did get it and will now sit for time out.

• We started time outs @ 18 months, which honestly I think was too early. We've used them a few times since he turned 2 for serious offenses and he gets it now but thankfully doesn't warrant a trip there often.

I think @ 15 months redirection & positive praise is probably best. 

Photobucket
    Charlie 11.01.07 ~ Paul 05.07.10 ~ Annaliese 02.24.12
  • I agree that I don't think there's much you can do at his age, redirection is probably the best idea.  Rosie is 22 months and she still doesn't get the concept of punishment.
  • imageMrsWhiteonWhiteSt:

What is it about sippys? Justin clocked (MelissaSue's) Eve on the head with one a few weeks ago :(

Eve had it comin.. :)

I have no idea.. If I tell Eve "no no" she keeps doing it or just stops for a second..I don't know that they are old enough to really understand cause and effect/consequences.. so who knows if time out or anything like that really works..

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • We didn't start time-out until 18 months.  I would redirect.  They say not to overuse "no" as it won't mean much to them if you say it too often.  At your son's age a lot of what they do is out of curiousity so it is hard to discipline.
    Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"