Baby Names

the name Angelina--does Jolie have the monopoly on the name?

I kinda think she does. whenever anyone hears it (or l hear it) I automatically think....Jolie.   it is a beautiful name, but I think she "owns" it. LOL
Sisterly love--Sophia (1/14/07) and Baby Margaux (7/13/10) image Doctor in training! :)image

Re: the name Angelina--does Jolie have the monopoly on the name?

• No, one of the people on Jersey Shore had that name. And I'm sure many other people do to.
  • Silly, but I always think of Angelina Ballerina :)
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • Loading the player...
  • MrsP--that's the other example I gave to DH of what comes to my head when I hear the name Angelina! LOL
    Sisterly love--Sophia (1/14/07) and Baby Margaux (7/13/10) image Doctor in training! :)image
  • I know it's not the exact same name, but I often think of the song Angelia by Richard Marx.. I know, showing my age LOL!!

I think the most obvious connection people will make is Angelina Jolie, but there are worse people that your DD could share her name with.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I automatically think of Angelina Jolie when I hear it. And while I know parents don't pick that name because of her, I always think they must have named their daughter after her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I automatically think of Angelina Jolie and so does my husband, unfortunately, because I love the name.  If you like the name, use it.  And by the time she's old enough to be in school I'm sure Angelina Jolie won't be popular.
  • imagesstephen27:
    I automatically think of Angelina Jolie and so does my husband, unfortunately, because I love the name.  If you like the name, use it.  And by the time she's old enough to be in school I'm sure Angelina Jolie won't be popular.

You don't think she'll be famous 5 years from now? I think we'll be seeing and hearing from her for a long time into the future. I think she'll have a long career. With that being said, if you love the name, I don't think there is anything wrong with using it!

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• imageMrsP7309:
    Silly, but I always think of Angelina Ballerina :)

I immediately think of this before I think of Jolie.

• imageSarahL77:

imagesstephen27:
    I automatically think of Angelina Jolie and so does my husband, unfortunately, because I love the name.  If you like the name, use it.  And by the time she's old enough to be in school I'm sure Angelina Jolie won't be popular.

You don't think she'll be famous 5 years from now? I think we'll be seeing and hearing from her for a long time into the future. I think she'll have a long career. With that being said, if you love the name, I don't think there is anything wrong with using it!

Agreed.  And, really, is having people think of Angelina Jolie a bad thing? Granted, she used to be kind of freaky, but has since become quite the humanitarian.  I associate her with positive things, but that's just my opinion.  ::shrugs::

• Sadly, I think so.  Every time I hear Angelina I think of Angelina Jolie.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • my grandmother's name was Angelina and so is my good friend, so for me the name Angelina is not tied with Angelina Jolie.
  • I think she "owns" it :(
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Yes, I think she "owns" the name.  My mom is desperately trying to name this baby. That is one of the names she came up with.  I couldn't do it.  I even tried it out for a few days and everyone I mentioned it to said "angelina Jolie?!"
  • I think when people hear just the name, they will associate it with Jolie. However, once the name is attached to your LO, that association will no longer be the first thought people have. They will almost always think first of the Angelina they actually know in real life over Jolie.

DH likes the name Sienna for a girl, and I immediately turned it down because of the associations with Sienna Miller (I know, she's not near the same scale as Angelina Jolie, but still!). After I thought about it as a name for my LO, I started to really like it. I guess my point is, think of it as your LOs name... picture your LO and imagine calling her that name and see how it works for you. In the end, if you love the name, go with it!

• Definitely makes me think of Jolie when I hear it.
  • whatevs - if you like it, who cares?

https://nameberry.com/babyname/angelina

My DD's name is not being used much right now because of it's obvious connection to Secretary Clinton.  That just made it all the more appealing to me that people were thinking you can't use it because of that.

People can think what they want.  Only you need to know the true reason you picked your kid's name - it is none of anyone else's business.

• imagestreamtrax41:
    I think when people hear just the name, they will associate it with Jolie. However, once the name is attached to your LO, that association will no longer be the first thought people have. They will almost always think first of the Angelina they actually know in real life over Jolie.

I agree.  I know a little girl named Angelina (I love the name btw) and depending on the context that's who I think of, not the actress.

• haha I automatically think of her... Not a fan :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"