Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Anybody else with firehose nipples?

My poor DD gets drowned in my milk every time I feed her. Even if I pump some out beforehand she's still choking on it. :-(  I'm getting soooooooo frustrated and so is she. Anybody else with this problem have any good advice for me?
Neena Mae. 1/7/10
"A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anybody else with firehose nipples?

• sometimes.   try the hold where baby lays on your side/versus on your lap.   that puts their head up higher so the milk doesn't flow as fast.  or i have read to lean back a bit to slow the flow.   good luck--eventually it does level off which is nice!
  • imagedionnemd10:
    sometimes.   try the hold where baby lays on your side/versus on your lap.   that puts their head up higher so the milk doesn't flow as fast.  or i have read to lean back a bit to slow the flow.   good luck--eventually it does level off which is nice!

I didn't even think about the football hold keeping her head at a higher level- thanks! I was really hoping that at nearly 2 months my supply would've leveled off, but no such luck -- I guess I'm just a machine!

Neena Mae. 1/7/10
    "A baby nursing at a mother's breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature." - David Suzuki
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Poor DS gets sprayed in the face sometimes when he unlatches when he first starts feeding. I have no solution.
  • Yep, I also have oversupply issues coupled with forceful letdown . . . but DS has gotten used to it. In the beginning he was coughing and sputtering like crazy, but now he's learned how to regulate . . . or just gotten used to having milk sprayed down his throat. :) For now, I second what pp said about having DD in an elevated position. I did a lot of nursing with DS on my chest while I reclined in my glider. Gravity can be your breasts' friend sometimes.
  • pass some of your fairy dust this way... i have such a low supply
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"