Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Schedule or cues?

Hello ladies!  I know that this question really does depend on parenting style but I wanted to throw it out there anyway.  For bedtime, we have been following a routine with DS.  Bath, book, nursing, then into the crib.  It works well for us and he goes down without an issue.  He had been sleeping through the night until the 4 month wakeful hit us and now he's not anymore (althoug I'm not sure it's 4MW because he eats most of the time, but I digress).  Usually we start his routine between 6:45 and 7 and he's usually down around 7:30.  I've noticed the past couple weeks that some days he starts rubbing his eyes around 6:15-6:30.   I'm wondering if I should start following those cues and start the bedtime routing as soon as he seems sleepy, or if I should stick to the schedule.

One thing to note, I'm going to start moving his schedule 15 min earlier this week, 30 - 45 mins earlier next week in preparation for Daylight savings.  That way once the times change we'll be back on schedule and we won't be trying to put him to bed an hour earlier than he's used to.

So what do you think, continue with the schedule or follow his cues.  What do you do and how does your LO sleep.  TIA!

Re: Schedule or cues?

• Options
    I agree with you on moving the schedule earlier 15 minutes.  We tried to just move up DS' schedule based on his cues and it took a while to get him down - when we looked at the clock after he fell asleep, it was maybe 5 minutes earlier than it would have been had we gone with the schedule as usual.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    I hadnt even thought about daylight savings.  I'd go with the cues if it doesnt make him wake before 5.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've tried, several times, At cues and it took me THAT much longer to put Jim down. He goes to bed at 9:30 regardless the time I start, as crazy as that sounds.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm a baby-led kind of momma so that's where I fall and that's what I support. Smile  At least until the baby has been out of the womb as long as he was in.  He's the boss!  He sleeps great though... he usually wakes up to eat a small bottle once in the night but that doesn't bother me.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    we don't exactly have a schedule, except for this: 9pm, we take her downstairs to our room, and let her play with us until she gets fussy. Then it's bottle time, and she'll usually fall asleep either while drinking, or while we try to burp her afterwards... so while we follow the timing for bringing her downstairs, we follow her cues once she's down here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"