Parenting

Overseas travel with newborn and toddler- WWYD?

I can't believe I'm even asking this. I used to LOVE to travel and was always taking off somewhere.

My DH is working in Greece and Israel this summer and we have the opportunity to go with him. Cost is not an issue. I used to work in Greece in the summers, too, so it would be great to go back. And I'd love to see Israel. It would be for 3-4 weeks.

The issue is that we'd be doing this when DS2 is around 6 weeks old, so not STTN, I'm sure. DS1 doesn't nap, ever. And DH will be working every day, so we'll be hanging out by ourselves, either out and about or in a hotel room that won't be childproofed. Which means I won't be able to relax enough to nap, I'm sure. And we'll have the time difference to deal with. And I won't have any help, obviously.

I've traveled with DH and DS before for DH's work, and I find it absolutely exhausting to try to watch him alone when we're not at home because I never feel like I can let my guard down enough to relax when it's just the two of us and we're away. I'm a little paranoid, I admit it. And now we're thinking of doing this for an extended time with another baby in the mix.

I also must admit that part of my hesitation is vanity. I'm not going to be back in any kind of shape to be rocking shorts or cute bathing suits 6 weeks post partum.

If we stay here while DH is abroad, DS will be in school full time during the week, so it will be just weekends and weeknights that I'll be alone with both of them. Plus my mom and sister have already volunteered to come help out for awhile, so at least for part of that time I'll have at least one other pair of hands around.

I'm leaning toward not going because it sounds exhausting, but then I keep thinking that traveling with DS2 probably isn't going to get much easier for the next couple of years.

IDK. WWYD? I'd especially be interested to hear from moms of two or more who've experienced dealing with an infant and a toddler already, but any thoughts welcome.

imageimage
Alex (11/14/06) and Nate (5/25/10)
"Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." - Rev. Forrest Church

Re: Overseas travel with newborn and toddler- WWYD?

• I'm like you and will travel anywhere, anytime, and have. But, we are delaying our summer trip at least a year because I'm due on April 2. I would not go. We always said we'd go to Turkey/Greece for our 10th anniversary, which is this year.

Like you, no way will I be in shape for a bikini by then, and I don't want to be all Duggar walking on the beach in a wetsuit to cover my fat a$$. I can't leave a newborn at home, and really don't look forward to a beach vacation w/ a newborn. Kinda irresponsible to expect to be on the beach w/ a new baby, kwim? As much as I wanted to go, we decided not to. We even thought of taking my parents. That might be an option for you if your mom or sister could get away for a few weeks.

My mom is talking about going to Hawaii in the summer, so we *might* do that. It would be a shorter flight and we'd have help - my parents and sister and her family. 

DD 7.28.06 * DS 3.29.10

Christmas 2011
  • Having someone come with us is not really an option. My mom would probably do it in a heartbeat, but she's honestly not all that helpful (I love her, but it's true) and she would drive me crazy after a week. Not to mention the strain it would put on my marriage because she drives DH crazier than she drives me! My sister has two kids of her own and can't take that long away from home.

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I have one child.  I have to say that up front.

I was tired just reading your post.  I think that would be a lot of work with very little sleep.  I think I'd opt for home.  A newborn of that age is just so needy. 

• I wouldn't pass up the opportunity for the reasons that you stated (not fully relaxing, not bikini ready).

Honestly, we are mothers. No vacation, or any day of our lives, will be fully relaxing! And I could get over the not bikini ready thing real fast.

I think it would be easier to take a newborn and 3 year old as opposed to two toddlers. Think about it, you can fully contain a NB in a sling or stroller, and focus on Alex. Taking my two who are both all over the place would be more of a nightmare!

So my advice, do as much as you can while DS#1 is immobile. It only gets harder! And get a good, all terrain double stroller and bring it with you. I recommend the BOB duallie. Enjoy! Oh, and can I come?!

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't go, more b/c of your older son.  Trying to keep him entertained sounds difficult.  The baby would be fine, sleeping a lot, you could go on nice long walks.  But if you were having lots of time in a hotel room ( I am assuming not a suite or anything?)  it would be sooo exhausting keeping him entertained, and also in the adjustment period from a newborn he will probably be acting out a little as well.  

Also, if you are in a room, how to keep #1 quiet while #2 naps?  It doesn't sound fun for him, really.

• imageREOM:

Oh, and can I come?!

Even with two other energetic toddlers, I would love it! It would be great to have some adult company during the days when DH is at work.

imageimage
  • I'm quite concerned about keeping DS1 entertained. Especially when we're in the hotel room (I'm sure it won't be a suite). It's not like the wilds of Greece have great TV options (especially in English), and there are only so many toys I can bring along with us.

And, honestly, the thought of keeping up with him alone in a strange place while lugging an infant around makes me feel a little like crying.

imageimage
  • imagefemmegem:

I'm quite concerned about keeping DS1 entertained. Especially when we're in the hotel room (I'm sure it won't be a suite). It's not like the wilds of Greece have great TV options (especially in English), and there are only so many toys I can bring along with us.

And, honestly, the thought of keeping up with him alone in a strange place while lugging an infant around makes me feel a little like crying.

Yep, sounds exhausting.  I think that would be really hard and once you get there would you be able to fly home if it wasn't working out?

• Something else to consider is that at 6 weeks old your LO would not have had an vax yet.

Base on that alone, I wouldn't do it.

My pedi wouldn't let me fly with DS until he had his first round of vax at his 2 month appt.

• I think I'm with REOM on this one. I don't have two yet, but I can imagine this situation since I'm due in may :) and dh travels internationally a lot. I think it does sound a little overwhelming, but I bet once you get there you could get into your own routine. I'm sure they have parks there, museums etc. And ditto that at 6 weeks, even though you might not be fully rested, lo should still sleep a lot while you are out and about and I would take a lot of walks to work off that pp weight :). I think i would be much happier joining dh at dinner and weekends as a family than sitting at home trying to adjust without dh (even with help). Gl!
    imageimageimage
  • imagejerseysunrays:

Something else to consider is that at 6 weeks old your LO would not have had an vax yet.

Base on that alone, I wouldn't do it.

My pedi wouldn't let me fly with DS until he had his first round of vax at his 2 month appt.

This is another concern, for sure.

imageimage
  • I will be going overseas with my newborn and preschooler (I don't think I can really think of her as a toddler anymore), but the difference is it will be purely vacation (visiting relatives of DH's) with no working.

We take lots of vacations where DH is working and I agree, it's exhausting.  Luckily, I know lots of people where he goes to work, so I always feel like we can visit friends and I lived there for many years so I know lots of things to do there.

If **I** was going to be the source of entertainment all day while DH was working, I probably wouldn't do it with a newborn.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • imagehikerbeth:

I will be going overseas with my newborn and preschooler (I don't think I can really think of her as a toddler anymore), but the difference is it will be purely vacation (visiting relatives of DH's) with no working.

We take lots of vacations where DH is working and I agree, it's exhausting.  Luckily, I know lots of people where he goes to work, so I always feel like we can visit friends and I lived there for many years so I know lots of things to do there.

If **I** was going to be the source of entertainment all day while DH was working, I probably wouldn't do it with a newborn.

Beth, I was interested to see what you thought of this because I know you do travel so often. Hearing that you probably wouldn't do it makes me think I'm not crazy for hesitating.

imageimage
  • I was going to say just go on one part of the trip, either Greece or Isreal but then you would have to travel one leg of the flight by yourself with them. Forget that!! I would probably stay home unless there was someone else that could go with you to help. I know my bff went with the people she babysat for and toured Europe with them and she had a blast! 
  • k&p, that's the thing. I would think about it more if the flight alone wouldn't be such a hurdle and we could go for a shorter time, but the thought of being trapped on a plane with just DS1 with no backup for that many hours makes me feel anxious. And I'll have another baby then, too. Yikes. No thanks.

And I wish we could afford to pay for someone else to go with us, but that's just not in the cards, I'm afraid.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"