Need Hawaii recs — The Bump
Georgia Babies

Need Hawaii recs

My family is taking a big trip to Hawaii this summer.  Renting a huge house on Oahu for a week.  DH and I also want to take a night and get our own room somewhere for a little mini-vacation alone.  We were actually thinking of flying over to Maui or one of the other islands as I've only ever been to Oahu.  So do you guys have any suggestions?  Hotels?  Things to do?

Re: Need Hawaii recs

• Here's my rec: Take me with you!! HTH! TIA! NFT!

Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We stayed the Ritz on Maui and it was super nice. Nice restaurants, nice hotel nice everything. They just idd a huge renovation and my parents stayed there. They said the spa and hotel rooms are excellent now.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrs.Guz:

Here's my rec: Take me with you!! HTH! TIA! NFT!

Hahaha!  Sure if you can get a flight and fight a place to crash on the floor- come on!  This is a 5 bedroom house, but I think it's going to be PACKED!  Our original plan was to get everyone out there on buddies/pass priveleges.  But the closer it gets the more concerned we are about getting everyone there.  Most of us are used to travelling standby, but it's way more complicated with all the kids so I think we are going to end up buying tickets!  Have I mentioned lately that I have the best mom in the whole world?

• We stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa and it was awesome.  They have a beautiful beach where the ocean curves into a lagoon in the middle of the resort that made for very cool snorkling.  Several different restaurants that were all good.  The spa was great!  It's a huge resort though.  They have a boat that takes you from one place to another.
  • Maui is fantastic.  We stayed at the Sheraton Maui in Kaanapali.  Black Rock is one of the best snorkeling spots, and it's on the resort's beach.  You can do the drive to Hana to check out the sights and jump into random waterfalls on the way.  Paia is a cute little surf town that has shops and restaurants.  Or you can drive the west coast - it's pretty sparse but great views.

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Maui is beautiful.  HIghly recommend staying in Wailea if you can (rather than Kaanapali) because it is quieter and less kids.  Since you are going for a little get away, that might be nicer than the big Kaanapali resorts.  We stayed at the Marriott in Wailea, which was obviously not as nice as the Fairmont, Ritz, and Grand Wailea, but a lot more reasonably priced.   
  • imagedc2atl:
    Maui is beautiful.  HIghly recommend staying in Wailea if you can (rather than Kaanapali) because it is quieter and less kids.  Since you are going for a little get away, that might be nicer than the big Kaanapali resorts.  We stayed at the Marriott in Wailea, which was obviously not as nice as the Fairmont, Ritz, and Grand Wailea, but a lot more reasonably priced.   

Ooh- I've got Marriott points!  I think enough for 1 night... maybe that's what I'll do!

• If you make it out to Maui, I highly rec The Grand Wailea Resort - just stunning!

If you happen to stay on Oahu I rec the Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore or The JW Marriott on Ko'Olina Cove (the western shore = beautiful sunsets! that's where we were married) 

• We went to Oahu, Maui and the Big Island and it was so fabulous. Oahu was my least favorite. No matter which island you go to, Revealed is the way to go. The books Oahu Revealed, Maui Revealed, The Big Island Revealed, etc. There was not a bad activity we did or a bad restaurant we ate at. It was a wonderful, funny and easy guide to follow with GREAT restaurant recommendations. We did so many of the "adventures" and "activities" (which are fun chapters in the books) and it was a wonderful! Sometimes we were the only people at the different locations cause they are hidden away. We went to Maui, Oahu and The Big Island and had each respective book. It was a great tool to have and definitely recommended. I would have loved to spend more time on the BI since we only had time for the Volcano National Park which was one of the highlights of our entire trip.

Highlights on Oahu:
    Snorkeling Hanauma Bay (we went twice...it was amazing).  You do have a watch a video about protecting the reef and it cost a few bucks to get in.  But it was well worth it.
    Food: Alan Wongs (we also went twice because it was amazing)
    Boots and Kimo's: Macadamia Pancakes...need I say more
    Cha Cha Cha Salsaria...mmmmmm Mexican

Let me know if you want details about The Big Island.  We flew into Hilo.  Did a helicopter ride.  Spent a day in the Volcano National Forest.  We spent about 3 days/2 nights just around the Volcano area.
  • imageladybugDZ:
    We went to Oahu, Maui and the Big Island and it was so fabulous. Oahu was my least favorite. No matter which island you go to, Revealed is the way to go. The books Oahu Revealed, Maui Revealed, The Big Island Revealed, etc. There was not a bad activity we did or a bad restaurant we ate at. It was a wonderful, funny and easy guide to follow with GREAT restaurant recommendations. We did so many of the "adventures" and "activities" (which are fun chapters in the books) and it was a wonderful! Sometimes we were the only people at the different locations cause they are hidden away. We went to Maui, Oahu and The Big Island and had each respective book. It was a great tool to have and definitely recommended. I would have loved to spend more time on the BI since we only had time for the Volcano National Park which was one of the highlights of our entire trip.

Highlights on Oahu:
    Snorkeling Hanauma Bay (we went twice...it was amazing).  You do have a watch a video about protecting the reef and it cost a few bucks to get in.  But it was well worth it.
    Food: Alan Wongs (we also went twice because it was amazing)
    Boots and Kimo's: Macadamia Pancakes...need I say more
    Cha Cha Cha Salsaria...mmmmmm Mexican

Let me know if you want details about The Big Island.  We flew into Hilo.  Did a helicopter ride.  Spent a day in the Volcano National Forest.  We spent about 3 days/2 nights just around the Volcano area.

I forgot to say that we stayed for a week in Maui and we stayed at the
    Westin Maui Resort & Spa
    www.westinmaui.com
    2365 Kaanapali Pkwy
    Lahaina, HI 96761
    (888) 625-4949

On the Big Island we stayed at this Bed and Breakfast 
    https://www.volcano-hawaii.com/index.htm

• Wow!! You guys are jetsetters arent you??  Have fun! I have never been but I am with Amanda -TAKE ME! :)
  • Oahu - We stayed at the W Hotel and loved it!  It was a short walk from the center of the city, so not as much in the hustle and bustle of things. It had a view of Diamond Head and the beach, so that sealed it for us. I would def recommend climbing Diamond Head and snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. We love to snorkel and to this day this is one of our favorites! (do not leave any valuables in your car at Hanauma bay. our car got broken into and dh's wallet got stolen. it made the rest of trip interesting b/c he didn't have license and we flew a lot. found out later that it's notorious for targeting tourists and breaking into easily identifiable rental cars!) One of my good friends stayed at Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore and raved about it too!

Maui - We stayed at the Westin Maui and loved it!  It was very family friendly. I mention that b/c we were there for our honeymoon and there were kids everywhere. It didn't bother us, but if you are looking for relaxation and adults only this might not be this place. Snorkeling at Black Rock was good.

Kauai - We stayed at the Sheraton at Poipu Beach. Talk about pure beauty and true relaxation. This island is much more laid back and imo so beautiful. Not as many kids/families. This would be my pick for a get away. We took a helicopter tour that was to die for and I would totally recommend.

I love Hawaii and I love how easy and reasonable it is to hop on a plane and go to a different island in 30 minutes. Hope you have a great time!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • kauai kauai kauai!! It's known as the island for couples.  It's same, quaint towns, napali coast (take a heli ride it you can), quiet beaches...it rocks!

a beuatiful place to stay is https://www.waimeaplantation.com/  --it's sooo pretty!

• imageDaisy22:

We stayed the Ritz on Maui and it was super nice. Nice restaurants, nice hotel nice everything. They just idd a huge renovation and my parents stayed there. They said the spa and hotel rooms are excellent now.

The Ritz on Maui is great - we loved the little general store within walking distance for lunch or breakfast.  Only thing we didn't like is that there isn't a separate kids pool.  We were on our honeymoon and kids screaming and running around wasn't really our idea of relaxing.  Also the pool isn't right on the beach.  It is about a 5 - 10 min walk down, but they were building a new phase closer to the ocean.

We stayed at the Sheraton on Kauai and LOVED it.  It was newly renovated and not as posh as the Ritz, but the beach was amazing and the cabanas were much more reasonable to rent for the day.  Kauai was our favorite island of the 3. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am soooooooo jealous! We went to Oahu and Kauai for our HM. I liked Kauai but it just seemed too isolated for my taste. I've heard great things about Maui though!

We non-rev'd for our HM and got first class both ways. Apparently, between spring break and Memorial Day is really slow.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards