Success after IF
Options

S/) Babywise or AP

First I must say that as in other areas of life, I am a fence rider....I do a little bit of everything in my parenting style.

When Nolan was first born, he was 34w5d, so pretty early, but was big (6lbs 10oz) I was working on breastfeeding in the hospital, and a friend who verymuch follows HER schedule (not-baby's) came to visit. She decided to "help me" and got a cold wet washcloth, and proceeded to drape it over the back of Nolan's neck to help him be more alert to feed... I have to say that  was the first time I experienced the feeling I now call

MONSTER MOM. 

I went insane, and even asked her to leave! I never knew I had that aggressiveness in me until someone messed with my baby. Needless to say, I learned that way which way I leaned in the parenting school of thoughts. 

Re: S/) Babywise or AP

• Options

I wouldn't say that method has anything to do with Babywise ro AP... some people need to do that in order to make sure their LO eats early on especially if they are trying to avoid formula feeding. Some babies need more coaxing than others, and this is one of MANY methods that works to wake a lethargic baby up. 

I do know that monster mom feeling, but just wanted to let you know that that particular method doesn't really mean one parenting method over another.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    m/c August 2007 - Blighted Ovum
    Sean - Our IUI/Injectable miracle born Oct. 5, 2008.
    Liam - Our second miracle born July 16, 2010
  • Options

I guess it was more of the forcing my newborn to remain awake to eat. Both times my boys basically slept the first 36 hours and were non-productive eaters in that time.

She would rub ice on her LOs feet, and even flick the bottom of their soles to wake them to eat on their schedule. 

I get needing them to eat if they are not thriving, but her methods are merely to get her children on HER schedule. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagehclavalley:

I wouldn't say that method has anything to do with Babywise ro AP... some people need to do that in order to make sure their LO eats early on especially if they are trying to avoid formula feeding. Some babies need more coaxing than others, and this is one of MANY methods that works to wake a lethargic baby up. 

I do know that monster mom feeling, but just wanted to let you know that that particular method doesn't really mean one parenting method over another.

Very true...Elizabeth had jaundice when we came home from the hospital and because it makes a baby very sleepy, we often had to strip her down to her diaper and use a wet cloth to make her wake up enough to eat.

Although if someone had done that to my new baby when it wasn't needed, I'd probably get that monster mom feeling too!

After 20 months, 3 Clomid cycles and 4 IUI cycles, IVF #1 with ICSI = BFP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I must say, I'm confused, but then maybe as a newbie mom, I don't know better.  I get not wanting someone to tell you what/how to do something, but I don't get this example as a parenting style?  I suppose my perspective, though, is only that my newborn was very sleepy due to jaundice, and so I had to try everything I could think of to make her eat.  Do some newborns just not eat and it's okay?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My newborns, especially DD, were very sleepy and would definitely have needed to stay in the hospital had we not been aggressive in keeping her awake to feed.  We had to undress her, etc. for a long time after we got her home even.  She was just not a real motivated eater and needed some coaxing.  

I can understand being upset that your friend did something you didn't think was necessary and that you hadn't agreed to with your new baby.  But I don't think this particular situation has anything to do with Baby Wise. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"