Preemies
Options

Best bottle for when DS comes home

DS got his first bottle feeds this week and did great. However they've put a hold on them because of his high respiratory rate due to some congestion he's having. The NICU is using regular, brown Enfamil nipples and he did fine. I'm wondering if we'll be able to get by with just a regular, cheap bottle and nipple since we know he'll take it. Or should we go for something nicer like Dr. Brown's? Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated!

Re: Best bottle for when DS comes home

• Options
    We use Dr Browns since my girls have reflux and those are really recommended for reflux.  I used them with my son as well because of the vacuum issue.  They are a pain to clean, but I really like them.  They also come in preemie nipple sizes.
  • Options
    I tried a few different kind, but then we started with the reflux and I'm using Dr. Brown's now. I LOVE THEM.
    Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

When DS first came home, we ended up using milk storage containers because they are a graduated cylinder with the cc's and we wanted to know exactly how much he was eating.  We couldn't tell from the bottles we had (Born Free).  We bought Evenflo yellow latex nipples, that look like the Enfamil ones and you can buy the ring that screws it onto the bottle.  We found that Medela nipples worked well too.  A family friend who is a NICU nurse recommended them.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2815289  We got ours free because I was part of a test group using the Medela hospital grade pump designed for preemie moms.

• Options

I think we tried every bottle known to man (we had feeding issues and I literally bought every bottle sold at BRU)

My favorites were the playtex drop ins. 

But we ended up using Dr. Brown's because he liked them best (or hated them least, anyway) and they really did help with his reflux. 

• Options
    We use Dr. Brown's as well. We tried several bottles, but DH seems to do really well with them, because they don't leak, like the Avent bottles.

• Options
    we used avent, in the hospital and at home. they worked well for us because they have a nipple available that accomodates thickened feeds, which he was on for a long time due to reflux.
  • Options
    We've tried and used different bottles.  The two we use right now are Dr. Brown and Born Free.  She seems to like the Born Free better.
    EDD: 01/08/10, Born 8 weeks early on 11/16/09 at 32w3d due to pre-eclampsia and partial abruption
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Our Family Blog
  • Options
    imageTriciaJoy:

I think we tried every bottle known to man (we had feeding issues and I literally bought every bottle sold at BRU)

My favorites were the playtex drop ins. 

But we ended up using Dr. Brown's because he liked them best (or hated them least, anyway) and they really did help with his reflux. 

ditto this...exactly!

• Options

We LOVE Playtex Ventaire. We were given one by our Occupational Therapist, and tried it after Cooper HATED the Dr. Brown's. For a while we used the playtex nipples in the Dr. Brown's bottles, since the preemie nipples were too small for Cooper's mouth, and he needed a slow flow.

Try a few and see what works for you! Don't buy a ton until you know what your LO likes! Our hospital let me bring in my own bottles- you should see i yours will! Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    we started out with the playtex ventaire but quickly moved to dr browns and love them.  they have a preemie nipple too!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

We had a TON of eating issues as well, and bought every bottle we could find. What I learned...every kid is different. My own kid would change his likes and what worked best from week to week or day to day. In general I think if you can get by with cheaper....why not. I don't care for the regular dr. browns only because they have BPA, but they make a BPA free version. Speed and air control were the two most important things for Evan, too fast and he couldn't keep up, too slow and he couldn't get enough before he'd tucker out, too much air and he'd stop, and he's a tough burper. That being said our favorites were

Dr. brown's, platex ventaire, and the Breast flow by the first years, and the platex drop in. Our OT really liked the breast flow because of how it worked his mouth the "right ways", we liked the speed, he got very little air, and they're easier to clean than the others IMO.  I do know that the nipples from the hospital were too fast. He's leak milk out the sides of his mouth, would gulp to try to keep up, and for awhile we had to feed him on his side so he could handle them.

OH, for measureing we just used the little ones from NICU to measure and then dumped into whatever bottle we were using at the time.

Becky

• Options
    My preemie was also in the NICU and in the same situation as yours. They also used the enfamil nipples with her in there, but when we got home we went with the dr. browns and are happy we did. I think it doesnt matter as much while they're in the NICU which nipples you use because they're taking in such a small amount of formula at each feeding. Once you're home and they're eating more i think the nicer nipple and bottle make a difference. And like everyone else has said here it makes a big difference if the baby has a reflux problem as did mine. I love the dr. browns bottles and nipples, I highly reccomend them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"