High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Type 1 Diabetic

I've been a diabetic for years and I'm one of the lucky ones who has an insulin pump Smile

I'm new to being pregnant, and so far my sugars have been great (I try to keep them as normal as possible).  But I would love to hear how other parents did with being a type 1 diabetic and pregnant....  I have many concerns due to my diabetes and I dont want to harm the future baby.  I know that many things are at risk - ie. miscarriage, fetal development, preterm labor, etc.  I would just love to hear other mom stories and how they dealt with pregnancy!  And I wish/hope to have the pregnancy that most people get to have and enjoy Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Type 1 Diabetic

• Options
    I have been a type 1 diabetic for 5 years, and on an insulin pump since last April.  With my first pregnancy, my insulin requirements went way down in the beginning, and of course went way up by the end of pregnancy.  This time, my insulin requirements went up right away, but then dropped back down, and have started to go up again now.  I have been in contact with my endo clinic weekly, and keeping my blood sugars under tight control.  So far everything with baby looks good!  Last time I developed severe pre-e at 37 weeks.  This time, they are keeping a very close eye on my blood pressure, which so far has been in great range! 
  • Options
    I am a type 1 diabetic as well and was diagnosed 7 years ago. I went on my pump around 1.5 years ago. My pregnancy so far has been doing well. I have had some highs but baby and I both have normal growth and development so far. I fax my BG levels to my endo weekly and have a constant glucose monitoring system sensor that checks my bg every 5 minutes and sends it to my pump. (if you have a pump at all, I strongly reccomend this!) so instead of 6-10 fingerstick readings a day, my dr has 280 readings a day to see when my bg is high, low, etc and can adjust my basal rate accordingly.  So far, my bolus went down (I was dosing 1 unit :6 grams carbs) to 1:8 grams because I as having a lot of lows in weeks 6-13. Not until last week did my endo change it back to 1:6, and I am getting lows again so maybe We will adjust it?  So far, however, there havent been too many dramatic changes. Personally, I have cut out juice and white breads and rice entirely just to avoid spikes, and havent been having too hard a time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi, newly pregnant and just got pum on the pump. You stated that you have a sensor the reads your BG. How can I get one? My pump provider is through Animus. I am type 1 as well and have been for 6 yrs and just new to this pump business. How has it work for you thus far?
  • Options

10y w/ T1, 1y with pump/sensor, 1 perfect DS!

My #'s went high at ovulation and stayed there til I delivered. I was induced at 37w6d for pre-e/placenta breakdown (my insulin needs cut in 1/4 that 37th week, a huge indicator for placenta breakdown.)

After 28h of an induction I had gotten to 1cm and DS' heart rate went to the 170's and stayed there - no good! So I had an emergency c-section. All went fine with that, healing was quite fast - I took no pain meds after I left the hospital other than Advil.

I was on couch "feet up" rest at 34w for high bp, but activity didn't affect it (I had a home bp cuff to test it before and after walking at a store, for instance.)

I was in to OB every 2 weeks, seeing the Endocrinologist every other time. I had a Level II ultrasound at 20w as diabetics have higher risks of birth defects in their babies, and at 28w I had weekly bio-physical profiles (ultrasounds) and non-stress tests (monitor baby's heartbeat and movements.)

Any other questions?! Hth! -Meghann

~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"