Stay at Home Moms
Options

Anyone's DH work a ton of crazy hours?

How do you cope? DH works full-time, and has a side business on top of that.  Him working a lot allows me to stay at home... but I wish he was home more.

He's gone all day and night Sunday, Monday, Tuesday (not home til 11:30pm).  Most Thursdays and Fridays he's not home until 8, which is after bedtime.  Saturday mornings he plays soccer (which he needs... exercise and an outlet..).  So he's basically only home on Wednesday evenings, and Saturday afternoons/evenings.  He's around to tuck our kids in only twice a week.

I'm just having a hard time with it... I feel like he's never home.. and because he works a lot.. I work a lot (taking care of the kids & home).

Re: Anyone's DH work a ton of crazy hours?

• Options
    MEEEEE!!! I wish I had some encouraging words but I (we) are really struggling right now! I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!!! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Count your blessings!  I know exactly how you feel and then some.  My DH is gone Sunday night until Friday night so he's technically only here one day a week and by the time he gets home he's usually checked out mentally from exhaustion.  It's rough when you feel like you have to do it all.  I totally understand.  Hang in there!!!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, my husband often works long hours, especially when he is on call.  Sometimes he doesnt get a day or night off for 8 days straight.  It is draining on me and him and yes it sucks but the paycheck doesnt :)  he is an HVAC tech so if a furnace goes out and he is on call he has to go no matter what.  It is harder on him though because after I get the boys down I have downtime, he is doing physical work all day and is exhausted.  We get through it and enjoy the time we have together. 

Thatis one of the benefits of having me home, I can take care of things so we have the time he is home to enjoy eachother.  Remember he is working so hard for you and your family.  We are lucky to have men that are such hard workers!

• Options

Yes. My DH works in finance and has absurd hours. He doesn't see DS during the week (he is usually gone 7:30 AM - 8:30 PM or later, DS goes to bed at 7:30). Weekends he often works quite a bit - either in his office or at home. Even when he is home and "not working" he is always on his Blackberry.  We also have no family in state to help out.

It is tough sometimes - for all of us. DS goes through waves where he is really frustrated with my DH because he isn;t around much, DH misses DS, and I am exhausted, LOL.

What helped me were a few things: I became very involved with my local MOMS Club. I am on the board and have made a lot of wonderful friends with kids the same age as DS. I have activities with them basically every day, so I still feel like I get a lot of adult interaction, and it really helps the days go by and go well.

Also, I enrolled DS in a full day 2 year old program 2 days a week. He loves it (3 of his BFFs are there as well), I get a break, plus I have time to do all the errands, heavy cleaning, appointments, etc etc etc without DS which is SO nice. He starts pre-school in September, which will provide the same opportunity.

It can be hard, but DH loves what he does and his job allows us our lifetstyle.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You're all totally right about counting blessings and being grateful for a hard worker.  I was all mopey this morning and I'm still swimming in postpartum wahhh wahhh land.  :P

DDs are 18 months and 3 weeks, so I think I'm having a hard time adjusting to having two tiny kids around.  And I miss DH.  Ha!

• Options

Our girls are 21 months apart and the first few months of 2 under 2, my DH was working and traveling all.the.time.  It was really really tough.  I've got no real advice other than it should start to feel a little easier when your infant gets a bit older.  When our younger daughter was about six months old, I finally felt like I could breathe again. 

There were many times that friends, neighbors and family helped me out because DH was gone so much.  I just learned to accept the help and say thank you because truly, I don't know what I would have done without it!

• Options

Ugh, I bet it is hard to feel like a single parent at times.  :(

My DH has crunch time near the end of each film, normally between January and April 30th (like right now), where he's working 10:30am-8:30pm plus a few extra hours during the week and almost all day on Saturdays, depending on if his shots need fixing before cutting to film.  I guess I can't complain too much but it is hard to be alone all day long, 6 days straight.  It does get a LOT easier once they get older, though!

At 3 1/2 years old, Emily is SO MUCH FUN, it's not much work at all.  :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options
    It's not that bad for me, but it seems like it sometimes. My DH works a regular 8-5, but he's also a student. He goes to class 2x week and doesn't get home til after DD's bedtime. Then he studies every other night from the time she goes to bed til midnight. And he has guard 1 weekend/mo, plus it seems like everyone and their momma wants something from him. This weekend he's moving our friends. Last weekend, it was fixing MILs car.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"