Special Needs
Options

Can I just state how depressing it is

To get your IEP report in the mail (for the 6th time, might I add, like they are just trying to torture me) Telling you they think your son is in the 2st percentile for EVERYTHING?

I mean, really, I know he's behind- I'm the one who called EI ages ago, not my pedi. But there is no way he is that 'dumb' -for lack of a better word- that basically 100% of kids his age are smarter than him/more advanced then him.

Seriously?

Re: Can I just state how depressing it is

• Options

Don't think of it as "dumb" as that isn't what it means. Easier said that done.

Numbers on reports can be hard to read and digest.  Luckily they don't define who your child is or who he is going to be.

Hang in there. 

• Options

Hey it's not 100%!!! It's 98! Don't sell him short. ;)

Right Hug and Drinks

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • Options

yes, much harder said than done :(:(:(

• Options

(((hugs)))

I'm just going to give you hugs b/c I know seeing that ink on the paper is just a rough, crappy thing and you'll figure out all the other...... but I think you probably just need hugs for now.

I'm so glad I have this place to come when I need others who just GET IT.

(((more hugs))) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you. I need to try to come on here more. I run out of time in the day to do too much just for me, but it's nice knowing other people understand and can give advice. I just keep wondering if there will ever come a day I don't feel so down about this all. It's like I just keep getting hit over and over.... *sigh*
  • Options

I am so sorry hun, and try and look at it from a different point of view. My children have challenges that makes them who they are. I love them for who they are and could not imagine them not being 100% who they are. Okay no more wine for me.

there are 98% parents out there that will never get to experience the love of your child, the wonders of your child and the joy that you do. 

Love and hugs.. have a glass of wine. I think I have had enough. 

• Options

It's hard, so hard to read on paper. It's one thing to hear it and filter out things. It's something else entirely to read it in black and white - staring you in the face and looking so.....permanent.

You son will progress. He will. Save that paper that says 2% because you can look back at it when he's closer to 100% and marvel at his accomplishments.

• Options
    I so agree with Auntie.  The paper is just a very small fraction of what you really see.  Honestly when my son got evaluated for speech and ot, I knew he could do more than what he did for the hour of testing he was there for but I am glad he got the score he did because he got qualifed.  It is hard but I bet your son won't always have that score :)  Kuddos to you for helping him!

FWIW my son is behind his peers no doubt but I think he did worse for the eval than what I see everyday from him.
  • Options

lol, Belle4KP. I could use some of that wine!!! :) I do always say though that I couldn't imagine Ben any other way. I don't mean that I don't wish that he and I didn't have to face so many of these challenges, but I just love him and he makes me smile and that is who he is.

Auntie- thank you so much for that perspective. I've heard that from a couple people, actually, but it just seems so hard to believe when it feels like we are moving so slowly right now. I know what's important is that we ARE moving forward, even if it is baby steps at the moment. Hopefully when the IU stops dragging their heels, we can start their services as well and see more improvements. Thanks everyone.

Ahh, being a parent- you NEVER realize how hard it is really going to be.

• Options
    imageDory904:

lol, Belle4KP. I could use some of that wine!!! :) I do always say though that I couldn't imagine Ben any other way. I don't mean that I don't wish that he and I didn't have to face so many of these challenges, but I just love him and he makes me smile and that is who he is.

Auntie- thank you so much for that perspective. I've heard that from a couple people, actually, but it just seems so hard to believe when it feels like we are moving so slowly right now. I know what's important is that we ARE moving forward, even if it is baby steps at the moment. Hopefully when the IU stops dragging their heels, we can start their services as well and see more improvements. Thanks everyone.

Ahh, being a parent- you NEVER realize how hard it is really going to be.

I love what you just said there. I have always thought that even though I wish my boys didnt have challenges, I couldnt imagine them any other way and I wouldnt want them any other way. They are special just the way they are.:))

And your right. As a parent you never realize how hard it truly is. And you always have setbacks but what is important is how you face them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"