Baby Showers

I wasn't able to open presents at the shower

I was afraid this was going to happen due to the number of people attending (over 60) and the time restraints at the hall. We only had it from 12 - 4 and by the time the guest arrived, food was served, and a few games were played we had less than 20 minutes to clear out. My husband and I had to open the presents at home but we took a picture of every single gift after opening with one or both of us holding the present.

I was wondering if I should print those out and attach it to the corresponding thank you card. Would that be ok or should i just send the thank you cards by themselves

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I wasn't able to open presents at the shower

• I'd only send a photo to my grandma or someone like that. Everyone else, a thank you note is fine.
  • I would send them I think that that is a good idea.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesarahbear:
    I'd only send a photo to my grandma or someone like that. Everyone else, a thank you note is fine.

this

• I love pictures, so I'd send a picture with the thank you note to everyone! They'll appreciate that you made the time to do this:)
  • I would send the pictures with the thank you notes.  I'm sure plenty of people will appreciate the thought.

I can't believe you didn't have time to open presents!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Cute idea if you have the time - but otherwise I think just the thank you would be fine :) Lucky you though - I HATE opening gifts in front of people!
    with two cats
  • I think that it is a great idea to send pictures along with your thank you note!  I'd hang you on my fridge :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Since you already took the pics, I would just have them printed and send them with the cards. IF you can remember who gave you what haha. Very sweet of you though! Also, it isnt necessary, but a ppl will like it.
  • imagesugarp:
    I love pictures, so I'd send a picture with the thank you note to everyone! They'll appreciate that you made the time to do this:)

this gets my vote!

10 Months Old! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This is not related to your original question, but I wondered if you had a sense of what happened so that gifts couldn't be opened. Four hours seems longer than the normal shower, even with 60 guests... any advice for others having large showers? Better ways to organize time? Or, were you happy with it this way? 
  • I think it would be so unique! Especially since people usually want to see you open the gift, this would be the next best thing. 
  • imageJennifer2008:
    This is not related to your original question, but I wondered if you had a sense of what happened so that gifts couldn't be opened. Four hours seems longer than the normal shower, even with 60 guests... any advice for others having large showers? Better ways to organize time? Or, were you happy with it this way? 

It was held at a banquet hall that is popular in Miami for weddings. The majority of the guest arrived between 12 and 1 pm while there was mimosas, sangria and soda's being served. About half an hour was spent socializing before the food was brought out. They had a full buffet - salad, 2 cicken dishes, pasta, and veggies.  I didn't get the chance to eat because they had hired a photographer who had me taking pictures with each guest and each table. Then the cake was brought in, a toast was given by my sister and mother while it was served with coffee. By the time the eating portion was done it was around 2:30pm. The next 30 - 40 minutes were spent playing games and when I went to start opening presents there wasn't enough time. There were just too many presents to open in under 30 minutes. We had to be out of the room by 4 pm.

I was very happy with how the shower turned out. I was worried about not opening presents at the shower because I kept reading how you are supposed to on these boards. However, I have to say that the majority of my guest expressed how glad they were that I didn't open the gifts. What I kept hearing over and over again (people called me today) was that they prefered to socialize and play games.

Maybe it is a cultural/regional thing. My crowd wasn't interested in the gift part.

• You had a 4 hour shower and didn't have time to open gifts?!  What the heck did you DO all that time?  My DD had over 40 guests and there were like 5 games and there was still plenty of time to open gifts.  Did you wait until every guest arrived?  My DD's was started 15 minutes after the time it was supposed to start because her BFF felt it was rude to make those that came on time wait for late comers.  So...some of them showed up almost an hour late.  It would have been extremely rude to make people sit there that long.  If people are talking, etc. your hostess just need to take control and start things and keep them moving.  I can't imagine being at a shower for 4 hours to be honest.

It is nice you took a pic with every gift.  I suppose since guests didn't get to see you open their gift (my favorite part) then I would send a pic with the thank you card.

• Actually, I think it's a super-sweet idea to include a picture of you guys with the gift.   I have a friend who did this for her wedding presents and it was a HUGE hit!
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imageSweetieP:
    Actually, I think it's a super-sweet idea to include a picture of you guys with the gift.   I have a friend who did this for her wedding presents and it was a HUGE hit!

I think it's a really great idea too...it might take some extra time, but your guests will LOVE it.  

PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageLauryn216:
    Lucky you though - I HATE opening gifts in front of people!

LOL, this is what I thought!

It sounds like you had a really lovely shower.  I would definitely send the picture with the thank you.  I know I'd love receiving something like that.

• imageMCC1010:

I was afraid this was going to happen due to the number of people attending (over 60) and the time restraints at the hall. We only had it from 12 - 4 and by the time the guest arrived, food was served, and a few games were played we had less than 20 minutes to clear out. My husband and I had to open the presents at home but we took a picture of every single gift after opening with one or both of us holding the present.

I was wondering if I should print those out and attach it to the corresponding thank you card. Would that be ok or should i just send the thank you cards by themselves

Either way.  I think you're very kind to go out of your way to do this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • I would make a shutterfly website with all the pictures you took and then print business cards with the website link for people to go browse own their own!
  • I was thinking the same as a pp - if it was me, I'd post them all online & then include the link in your TY notes in case people wanted to check them out.  :-)

(I have to say - I haven't had a baby shower of my own yet, but as a many-time attendee of others' I was jealous of your guests for not having to sit through the gift opening!  Maybe it's just me, but I hate being glued to my chair while one by one everything is opened, exclaimed over, and passed around and have always wished that the couple could either do that part at home or else informally so people could mingle and watch if they wanted to or wander and mix with other people too.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"