Baby Names

Evaleen Bethea

What do you think of Evaleen Bethea for a girl?

(or Eveleen--there are variant spellings according to origin, but I'm Irish and I think Evaleen is the Irish)

Bethea is a family name that I think is so pretty. 

I like Evvie for a nickname!

Also thinking about family name Farris Bethea for a girl and calling her Fair. 

Re: Evaleen Bethea

• Not a fan. Unless she is going to be actually Irish (as in have Irish citizenship) in which case it's OK.
    "I
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never heard Evaleen before, but it's pretty and if your Irish heritage is important to you, I think you should use it.

Farris is an interesting option too. I like that it's a family name. It's definitely unique!

My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!
  • Thanks! Evaleen is the Irish variant of Evelyn. 

Farris was my grandfather's middle name, but I think it would be pretty for a girl. 

• I would take into consideration whether or not it will bother you to have it confused with Evelyn alot.  I think when people here a name that is close to a very common name, their minds automatically remember it as the more popular name. If that makes sense.

I think Farris would be nice for a girl. 

• I actually think Evaleen is English, not Irish. I am not a fan of Farris or Bethea at all, but if they are family names then go for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesayster:

Thanks! Evaleen is the Irish variant of Evelyn. 

Farris was my grandfather's middle name, but I think it would be pretty for a girl. 

if they are pronounced the same, I would do Evelyn over Evaleen. People are gonna think its pronounced Eva - lean.

• It is pronounced "EV-uh-leen". Bethea is "Beth-AY"
  • Yes, I've read a couple places that Evaleen is the English, but I seem to have read a lot more places that it is the Irish variant. It is a little fuzzy.
  • Not a fan, but name the kid what you want.
  • I don't like Evaleen. My computer thinks it's a misspelling. Bethea is also thought to be misspelled by my computer, and looks a little too much like Bertha. 
  • imagesayster:
    It is pronounced "EV-uh-leen".
    Bethea is "Beth-AY"

Oh yeah, no one will every think "Beth-AY." I thought "Beth-ee-uh" at first. 

• I would just go with Evelyn because it will be misspelled all her life.

And I like Evelyn much better.

Evelyn Beth.

• Evaleen is quite nice...but I would never have guessed the right pronunciation of Bethea.

Farris Bethea makes me think of Ferris Beuller. I've known a few kids called Ferris and so to me it's quite masculine as it's so similar.

I like the nn Fair. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Evaleen is a really cute name-i wouldnt change the spelling at all-evelyn is more common. love evaleen and im suprised not too many were that impressed by it. Bethea however wont be pronunced the way you intended it.
  • Sorry, not a fan.
  • It is Irish, although that's a very anglicised spelling. Based on the original spelling, Eibhleann (I've sometimes seen it Eibhlin), it would be pronounced AY-vleen. 

If a nod to your Irish background is all you're going for, then Evaleen is very pretty! Just thought I'd give you some extra information!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would have pronounced Evaleen (Ev-uh-leen) correctly. It's alright. Bethea I've never heard of before. I don't like it at all and I would have pronounced it Be-thee-uh.
  • I am not a fan of the Evelyn, Evnageline thing so that people can use Evie as a nickname-- Evaleen is in the same family.  Sorry, NMS!
  • imagesweet1600s:

It is Irish, although that's a very anglicised spelling. Based on the original spelling, Eibhleann (I've sometimes seen it Eibhlin), it would be pronounced AY-vleen. 

If a nod to your Irish background is all you're going for, then Evaleen is very pretty! Just thought I'd give you some extra information!

Actually Eibhleann translates to Eileen or Elaine in English, not Evaleen.

• I think Ferris is really ugly for a girl or a boy.  It makes me think of the animals, Ferrits. 

I liked Bethea, pronounced Beth-ee-uh.  Not the way you showed the pronunciation.  I do like Evaleen.  I think it's pretty and original. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Evaleen - as long as it is supposed to be pronounced with Ev-a-lean and not like Evelyn.  I think it's pretty.  I'm not a big fan of Bethea but it's the middle name and if it's a family name then go for it.  Evvie is super cute.

I don't like Farris - like Ferris Bueller?  I prefer Farrah.   

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • I think it's pretty.

• imageandrea922:
    imagesweet1600s:

It is Irish, although that's a very anglicised spelling. Based on the original spelling, Eibhleann (I've sometimes seen it Eibhlin), it would be pronounced AY-vleen. 

Actually Eibhleann translates to Eileen or Elaine in English, not Evaleen.

Yes, I just meant the spelling was anglicised for the pronounciation, not that it was an English translation. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"