Blended Families

16&Pregnant/Teen Mom

What do you ladies this of this show?  The last few episodes really made me just want to vomit. 

It seems like they are really glamourizing teen pregnancy... and why why why is CPS not called on some of these cases?????

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 16&Pregnant/Teen Mom

• I personally hate the show, but totally get sucked in. I do think that they are glamorizing teen pregnancy, if for no reason other than these girls got a TV show out of it.
    I haven't watched enough to see any instances where CPS calls were warranted, but it certainly would not surprise me, if many of them should have CPS called.
  • Ugh I just remember where that Amber chick was allowing her baby to crawl on the floor... it went right to the kitty litter box (which looked like it hadnt been emptied in weeks) and there was trash 6 feet high...

and that Jenelle... doing drugs around her baby :( so so sad.........

• Loading the player...
  • I watched the first season & now I am following the 2nd one too. It is my weekly trainwreck. What part do you think they are glamorizing? I get irked when people say that. If you followed the 1st season you would see that many of the relationships did not last, they were constantly stressed & fighting about money, they had hard times graduating high school, constantly fighting with their parents and couldn't afford daycare. I really think it shows both the good & the bad. If you sit down & watch it w/your kids it can be a great learning tool. That Janelle is a piece of work, she really should have given her baby up for adoption. The new girl from this week Nikkole at least seems to be taking care of her baby, even if she is the most naive girl ever. Seriously she has no self confidence! Whoever has watched that episode can agree that her boyfriend is the biggest douchetit ever, even if he is only 16. His mothr should be ashamed.
  • I really don?t think they are really ?glamorizing? teen pregnancy. Yes, they do get a show out of it, but at the same time, LOOK at these girls! They look like idiots! If anything I?d be sittin? my teen daughter/son?s butt down on the couch and demanding they watch it. I feel it?s kind of a form of birth control. Even after me watching it, I find myself questioning thinking ?what the hell am I getting myself into?? (difference is I?m not 16 and still going to school/living with parents, I get that, it still freaks me out sometimes). I think these girls are just SO lost, it makes me sad to watch. The girl with the boyfriend who tells her what to do and she listens (I think her name was Nikkole, it was last weeks episode) to his every beck and call just makes my heart break. I haven't seen the one with the girl doing drugs in front of her kid, wth???

I think this show also embodies exactly what a LOT of teen girls are going through in our country. There are so many young women out there that let their boyfriends rule their lives, maybe if other girls watch these girls it might get them thinking ?do I look that stupid??. Maybe it won?t and I?m just hoping in vain. I think while this show is a serious train wreck, it might be a good form of ?counseling? for some young women out there. I think it also reflects on the kinds of parents these kids have, and why some of them have turned out so crazy. It might make some parents see that ?hey, I need to be more involved in my kids life before they turn out like that?. I?m not saying all, some kids parents go to the ends of the earth for them, and the kids still end up messed up, but I think a lot of the time, it?s the way we are raised. That Josh kid that talked like a total douch to his mom and his girlfriend?s mom for example. What an a$$!  If I EVER dared talk to my mom ? as bad as he did, my mom would have had me against a wall in 2 seconds flat. Only after he badgered her for God only knows how long did she put her foot down, and even then he just basically gave her the f*** you look and walked out of the room. That would have never flown in my house.

As far as CPS being called, I think that CPS should have been called on Gary and Amber with the domestic abuse, horrible disgusting living conditions, and the overall neglect of their kid. I don?t know who it would be up to though. Maybe CPS did at one time get involved, but the show didn?t air that. Who knows. I agree this show is a trainwreck, but I think it also might be doing some good I guess is what my point is. But what do I know, I?m a young na?ve 23 year old ;-)

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • I haven't seen any of this season yet, but I thought last season seemed very realistic. Those girls (and guys) had a real rough time. And I absolutely love Caitlynn and Tyler and was thrilled they were on teen mom too. I had never thought so much about adoption, and how even if you know it is right how difficult it can be, not to mention the support system from the agency. If nothing else I think that couple's story line was very important to be told through both shows and hopefully does help teenagers more.

And the other mom's I think told relevant stories as well. Maci and (I forget) showed how some are not meant to be together, and they tried (I was pissed at Dr. Drew acting like a little counseling and they would work out, that couple is not meant to be married). Amber was more of a *** for most of it, but we got good insight of Gary and the dad's view from her line. Really I think Farrah was the only partial waste because we basically watched her parents raise her kid,and that is probably what many teen parents expect.

• I think that it glamourizes it because:

1)  They get a freaking MTV show... Have you seen their FB pages?? Their "fan club" pages, etc.  What young girl wouldn't want all of that attention??? And now Farrah is dating some celebrity. 

2) The majority of those girls throw the baby to their mom/dad/whoever will take the child and are still able to go out and party, regardless of their "responsibilities.

3) Jenelle was walking arbout decked out in Coach and with an iPhone (which I have one and it isn't cheap!)

4) They are basically celebrities. 

I can totally see a young girl (my SD in particular) thinking how it would be so awesome to be "famous" and "on MTV" and having the mentality that "all I gotta do is get pregnant. Other people will take care of the baby." There are way to many young girls out there that DONT have good role models (ones that would sit them down and use the show as a learning tool). My SD doesnt have that - we are wayyyy to far away to sit down and use it to teach.  So she's on her own watching it and God knows what she is thinking.  I feel badly for her and all of the other young girls that are going to get roped into thinking that babies = MTV/fame.

• imageJ+R:

I think that it glamourizes it because:

1)  They get a freaking MTV show... Have you seen their FB pages?? Their "fan club" pages, etc.  What young girl wouldn't want all of that attention??? And now Farrah is dating some celebrity. 

2) The majority of those girls throw the baby to their mom/dad/whoever will take the child and are still able to go out and party, regardless of their "responsibilities.

3) Jenelle was walking arbout decked out in Coach and with an iPhone (which I have one and it isn't cheap!)

I can totally see a young girl (my SD in particular) thinking how it would be so awesome to be "famous" and "on MTV" and having the mentality that "all I gotta do is get pregnant. Other people will take care of the baby." There are way to many young girls out there that DONT have good role models (ones that would sit them down and use the show as a learning tool). My SD doesnt have that - we are wayyyy to far away to sit down and use it to teach.  So she's on her own watching it and God knows what she is thinking.  I feel badly for her and all of the other young girls that are going to get roped into thinking that babies = MTV/fame.

This...but at the same time, these (grand)parents are enabling the situation by just automatically stepping in and caring for the babies.  Look at Farrah, she couldn't even get out of bed at night to take care of her baby, so her mom would come in and do it. 

• imagejadenimp1:
    imageJ+R:

This...but at the same time, these (grand)parents are enabling the situation by just automatically stepping in and caring for the babies.  Look at Farrah, she couldn't even get out of bed at night to take care of her baby, so her mom would come in and do it. 

I agree with you, but at the same time, think if that were YOUR grandbaby. I know there are SO MANY young people out there with kids that dump them on their parents to go do whatever. And the grandparents are like 'ok I can either take care of this baby teh way he/she is supposed to be taken care of, or I can refuse, and then let my child leave this baby with hary *** or jane'. So whilst they are being enabelers, they are essentially trying to do what's best for the baby. I know if it were me, my heart would be so torn. I'd want to teach my kid that they need tot ake responsibility, but when you have snotty little bi**ches like Farrah saying 'I'll leave' (and you know she will) you can't help but just take care of the baby, so taht the baby is in a good environment. It's such a gray area.

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • love the Caitlyn/Tyler story-think that these two are truly the most outstanding of the "parents". 

get occasionally sucked into this show and makes me eternally grateful that my BM made the ultimate parenting choice and gave me up for adoption-have seen what my life could have been like and wouldn't have been the prettiest.  can only watch for so long b/c it truly p!sses me off that the majority of these teens, due to their own selfishness, are more or less damning these children to lives of relative poverty and keeping them from the opportunity to at least begin life with "relatively" mature parents who have prepared for them emotionally and financially. 

off soap box.

• I hate it, but I love it at the same time. Its a trashy trainwreck I just can't walk away from. Maybe its from being pregnant, I never watched the first season. But I secretly DVR it, and watch it while DH is at work :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekaratechrissy:
    imagejadenimp1:
    imageJ+R:

I agree with you, but at the same time, think if that were YOUR grandbaby. I know there are SO MANY young people out there with kids that dump them on their parents to go do whatever. And the grandparents are like 'ok I can either take care of this baby teh way he/she is supposed to be taken care of, or I can refuse, and then let my child leave this baby with hary *** or jane'. So whilst they are being enabelers, they are essentially trying to do what's best for the baby. I know if it were me, my heart would be so torn. I'd want to teach my kid that they need tot ake responsibility, but when you have snotty little bi**ches like Farrah saying 'I'll leave' (and you know she will) you can't help but just take care of the baby, so taht the baby is in a good environment. It's such a gray area.

As the resident Grandma I can totally agree with what Chrissy is saying.  My daughter couldn't raise Kayleigh so we took her in.  We would have let DD move in if she'd agreed to follow our rules and live drama-free but she wouldn't.  So we took Kayleigh for five years and raised her how a child SHOULD be raised.  Were we enabling DD to continue partying, having fun and no responsibility?  Maybe.  But she wasn't destroying an innocent child in the process.  It totally breaks my heart to see how she lives (at least the apartment is cleaner than any of the trailers and it's not trashed) and what she's NOT getting (activities, education, benefits, snuggle time, outside play time...)  The grandparents love the grandbabies and every one of them think "how can I let something bad happen to this little innocent baby" and the moms totally take advantage of the fact.  But then again, they took advantage of the moms totally giving in to them BEFORE the babies came along too.

The grandmas are enabling the moms but they're saving the grandbabies in the process.  Seeing a little baby, your blood, and watching your child, that baby's mother totally eff up that baby's life, is indescribable.  If you can do something, you do it.  But in the meantime, it feels like you're drowning and stressed and living life underwater, unable to breathe, watching it and living it.  I literally developed heart palpitations from the stress.  There were nights I was up and pacing the floors at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 in the morning and later because of some of the stuff I was dealing with trying to protect the little one.

Photobucket
  • And for the record, the adoption agency that Caitlynn and Tyler used, Bethany Christian, is an OUTSTANDING agency.  That's the agency that we went through when her older brother was adopted.  His parents are fabulous, they screen the parents every possible way that can be imagined, they offered an amazing amount of support and counseling for Kirsten (which she didn't take advantage of) and I can't say enough good about them.

Photobucket
  • I think it gives a pretty accurate portrayal of how many  teens deal with pregnancy and a baby. At the same time, I hate and love it at the same time. It's like the carwreck you rubberneck for.
  • imageJ+R:

THIS!  My SD idolizes this show and thinks that having a baby would be so cool.  She wants more than anything to be popular and famous.....so to her, I think she sees it as a way to be on TV. 

I don't think it matters how much they show the teens struggling....there will be some kids that think its cool just cause its on TV.

• imageJ+R:

1)  They get a freaking MTV show... Have you seen their FB pages?? Their "fan club" pages, etc.  What young girl wouldn't want all of that attention??? And now Farrah is dating some celebrity

1. Murderers have fan clubs and get letters all of the time. I don't think it's necessarily MTV that is glamorizing it, but rather showing the stresses that come with it, and ALL of the girls at the end of the show say they wished they would have waited, it's hard work, they didn't think of the entire reality of it, and urge others girls to wait to have children. Young adults and hell, even adults, will glamorize it in their own mind.

2. I have several authentic Coach purses, but I also have a few knock offs. Unless you're looking intently, and seeing the actual serial number of the bag, it could easily have been a knock off. As for the iPhone, she only had it for a limited time. After the baby was born, she was using a regular flip phone. She may have not been able to afford the bill, but who knows.

Despite all of that, the show disgusts me most of the time. The girls need some serious counseling. I still watch it because there are some that are good mothers, and their boyfriends are just the jackasses. (Like Maci, from last season, who went on to be on Teen Mom)

• I like to watch it with my 15 year old SD. I think the show is realistic in the sense that it shows the struggles these girls go through. Most of the time the relationships don't work out. These girls have a hard time finishing school. They miss there teenage years. They have to go to school dances pg and that should be embarrassing in itself.

My SD has a BF and I think it just reiterates to her what dh and I tell her about how these boys will say anything to get in your pants.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"