Baby Names

Boy names for Girls?

We are having b/g twins and originally planned to name our son Sawyer. We are having so much trouble with a girl name and have several other boy names we like so it hit me that it's becoming popular to use a boy name for a girl (esp when paired with a very feminine middle name). So what do you think of naming our daughter Sawyer? Any suggestions for a feminine middle name?

Re: Boy names for Girls?

• I personally really like Sawyer for a girl but you will hear a lot of mixed reviews on here.  Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who named her dd Graceyn (not so popular on here).

Anyway, I think it would be adorable...

Sawyer Kate
    Sawyer Brie
    Sawyer Elizabeth
    Sawyer Marie

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with the pp. There are some very strong opinions on here about using what would be considered a boy name for a girl. My feeling is that there are lots of names that we don't think twice of now, that twenty years ago would have seemed strange for a girl (i.e. Casey, Kendall, etc.). Sawyer seems like one of those names that would fall into the same group. It's not like naming your DD Brian or something along those lines, haha!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but personally its nms.  the more girly the better for me.  But I say go for it if you and DH both like it.

• I think it's awful, sorry. Especially since you gave your other daughter such a beautiful, feminine name (I love Camille).

I just don't like the whole giving boys names to girls thing. As I said in another thread, you wouldn't name your son Jennifer, so why would you name your daughter a boys name? And if she ends up growing up to be less than beautiful or looks somewhat masculine (or even just goes through an awkward phase), it's just cruel for her to have a boy's name too. 

"I
  • I don't like that name for a girl, at all.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • imagetalltalltrees:

I think it's awful, sorry. Especially since you gave your other daughter such a beautiful, feminine name (I love Camille).

I just don't like the whole giving boys names to girls thing. As I said in another thread, you wouldn't name your son Jennifer, so why would you name your daughter a boys name? And if she ends up growing up to be less than beautiful or looks somewhat masculine (or even just goes through an awkward phase), it's just cruel for her to have a boy's name too. 

I agree with most of this.  If you already have a girl with a feminine name it will look strange imo.  Plus this name sounds all boy to me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I think Sawyer is such a masculine name. I am not a fan of using predominantly male names for girls in the first place (see the long debate on this yesterday) but ultra masculine names make me shake my head. I really don't this pairing it with a feminine name serves any purpose, because when introduced she or you will not always, make that hardly ever,  use that feminine name. Yes, it does give the girl an option to drop her first name later in life when the masculine name doesn't fit her, but that is about all.

Whatever you do, don't pair it with Kate. Lost is a very popular TV show, and although it is ending this season, people will remember it for quite a few years.

Elizabeth is my go to feminine name. And I think it flows well with most names

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • imagetalltalltrees:

I think it's awful, sorry. Especially since you gave your other daughter such a beautiful, feminine name (I love Camille).

This.  Camille is a fabulous girl name-- I'd look for a similar beautiful name for DD #2.  

I generally detest boy names for girls, especially ones like Sawyer that are completely masculine.

• I actually don't mind the name Sawyer for a girl.  But in your case, I wouldn't do it.  Not only do you have a feminine name for your first DD, but you are having b/g twins.  I think the girl should have a feminine name so it distinguishes her from her boy twin.

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Hmm... I don't really think Sawyer is that masculine. It's a last name converted to a first name (like Logan, Riley, Cooper, etc.). And while Logan and Cooper have a masculine feel to them, I don't think Riley does, or Sawyer. But that's just me. :)

• I LOVE the name and say go for it.  You don't need to have all your kids names "matchy-matchy" and just because you have more feminine name for your other daughter means nothing.  It truly is to each his own.  Most girl names I dislike especially all those names that have that -ie, -y ending (kylie, rylee, etc).  Go for it.  Like the first few posts said people have strong opinions when it comes to names so you really need to do what will make you happy.  Happy baby naming!  Smile
  • dont like the idea
  • I wouldn't do it. This is coming from a girl with a boys name... Joey. I absolutely HATE it. I get mail for a Mr. Joey Lastname, I get carded to use my debit card because they don't believe it's me, I get carded to cash my checks, I get carded to DEPOSIT money, everyone always expects that they're dealing with a male, etc....  Don't do it, please!
  • I wouldn't do it.  Sawyer sounds so masculine, which causes its own sort of problems (as a PP described her problems being named Joey).  But also, your first DD is named Camille, a very pretty and feminine name.  And you're having boy/girl twins, so I do agree with PP that the girl twin should be named something that indicates she's the girl twin of the pair.
  • I'm a big fan of boy names for girls! I've never heard of Sawyer for a girl but now that you've said I think it's super cute. I say if you like it go for it!
  • Hmmm.....I actually loved it until I read PP about the chance of her turning out not so attractive or masculine looking, and then having a name like Sawyer..... not a great mix.  Poor thing.  At least if she has a feminine name and she's unattractive she has something going for her :)  I know it's awful to say those things, but you gotta think of everything!
  • Sawyer- makes me think of Tom Sawyer or the guy from Lost.  Never does it bring an image of a female to mind. Other names that are used for both boys and girls have somewhat of a softer sound to them like Dylan or Ryan (my dh will kill me for saying that).

Plus, how would you feel if your mom told you one day the name she gave you was what she picked for your brother but since she couldn't think of a girls name she liked she gave it to you. 

• We're having b/g twins and our names are Sawyer Jae and Tripp Cole.  I cleary love Sawyer for a girl so I say go for it. To me it doesn't sound super mascuine at all. Its like the name "Ashley" .....
  • Sawyer for a girl is adorable.  I would give her a fairly feminine middle name though...Sawyer Rose, Grace, etc
  • imagecaeliesmom:

Sawyer- makes me think of Tom Sawyer or the guy from Lost.  Never does it bring an image of a female to mind. Other names that are used for both boys and girls have somewhat of a softer sound to them like Dylan or Ryan (my dh will kill me for saying that).

Plus, how would you feel if your mom told you one day the name she gave you was what she picked for your brother but since she couldn't think of a girls name she liked she gave it to you. 

I couldnt agree more.

• I think Sawyer for a girl is super cute.
  • imageMrsFisch:
    We're having b/g twins and our names are Sawyer Jae and Tripp Cole.  I cleary love Sawyer for a girl so I say go for it. To me it doesn't sound super mascuine at all. Its like the name "Ashley" .....

Sawyer and Ashley are in no way similar. 

I don't like it for a girl.

• I love Sawyer for a girl. Go for it.

This is a topic thats brought up EVERY.SINGLE.DAY ... most the time no one has anything nice to say. So dont be surprised by the overwhelming negativity. I dont understand why its so controversial.

• imagejessface926:

I love Sawyer for a girl. Go for it.

This is a topic thats brought up EVERY.SINGLE.DAY ... most the time no one has anything nice to say. So dont be surprised by the overwhelming negativity. I dont understand why its so controversial.

You are having a girl, right? That is why you don't understand why it is controversial. Try having a boy and half the names you like are now popular for girls. It sucks.

• I actually sort of like Sawyer for a girl, but defintely pair it with an "overly" feminine middle name to avoid confusion and a male college roommate down the road...
  • I really don't like it, esp since they're b/g twins and it's the name you liked for your son.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • I really think you should name your son Sawyer, since that is what you already wanted to do, and find a new name for your daughter. I think it would be fine to use a unisex name if that is what you love, but Sawyer really is not unisex at this point.

(It may be in the future, considering so many are now-but I just don't think this is one of them, yet.)

Also, I don't really see the point in adding in a feminine middle name-because people never use their middle names anyhow. If you use Sawyer for a girl.  there will be times when people wouldn't know your Sawyer is female by looking at her first and last name...that's just how it is.  It's up to you if that matters to you or not.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yuck.  Sawyer is way too masculine for a girl.  Unless she is a supermodel she will have a hard time pulling it off. 

Name your son Sawyer and go back to the drawing board for your daughter. 

This trend needs to end!!! Ick!

• imageBizEB:
    imagetalltalltrees:

This.  Camille is a fabulous girl name-- I'd look for a similar beautiful name for DD #2.  

I generally detest boy names for girls, especially ones like Sawyer that are completely masculine.

Ditto and ditto. Sawyer is SO masculine to me. It's like naming your daughter Fred or something. 

• I don't like it at all. If I was Sawyer, I'd be jealous of Camille that she got the pretty name. 
  • imageLMS05:
    I don't like it at all. If I was Sawyer, I'd be jealous of Camille that she got the pretty name. 

I agree with this post.  I also think if my parents had named me that as I got older I would wonder why they gave me a boy name when there are so many other pretty girl names out there. I completely hate Sawyer for a girl. 

• Another vote against.  I don't think I'll ever get why people give their daughters names that are clearly "boy" names.  How would you feel if your parents had named you David? Some good points have already been made, so I won't reiterate them.  Forget the middle name; if you insist on giving your daughter a masculine name, at least make sure it can be easily shortened into a feminine name (Emerson-Emmie, Elliot-Ellie...and for the record, I hate these names for girls as well).
  • Sawyer for a girl is just plain AWFUL.

• Ew. I'd be so mad if my parents had named me Sawyer. What guy wants to introduce his girlfriend "Sawyer" anyway?
  • imageLittleMissParis:

I personally really like Sawyer for a girl but you will hear a lot of mixed reviews on here.  Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who named her dd Graceyn (not so popular on here).

Anyway, I think it would be adorable...

Sawyer Kate
    Sawyer Brie
    Sawyer Elizabeth
    Sawyer Marie

Sawyer for a girl is NMS... but if you do go with it, avoid "Sawyer Kate" - those are 2 of the main characters on the tv show Lost - you might get comments from people who think they're being funny.

Also... Brie?  As in the cheese?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • I prefer Sawyer for a boy, but it isn't horrible as a girls name.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"