Baby Showers
Options

Husband's friends' wives

I am trying to decide if I should invite my husband's friends' wives to the shower. Two of the wives were invited to my bridal shower less than a year ago because their husbands were in the wedding, but I am definitely not close with them at all.  One wife I feel a little bit closer to but we only do things together with husbands and don't contact each other individually.  I am inclined not to invite.  What are your thoughts? These are three of my husband's best friends' wives, but I should mention that I am inviting fewer than 20 friends/family of mine so I am keeping it pretty intimate -- close friends only.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Husband's friends' wives

• Options
    I was recently invited to a shower for one of my husband's friends from high school which he has recently reconnected with.  We had gone out with them one time, so I didn't know her well.  But I had a really good time and appreciated her thinking of me.  She and her mother paid me special attention, since my DH is from their same small hometown.
  • Options
    I have 5 of the wives from DH's job on the invite list.  2 I do see at least once a month.  Others I see only when there is a work function (2-3 times a year).  I did go to the baby shower of 1 and wedding of another.  I should add, I would see them more often if we lived closer, but we are over an hour away from most.  If it means something to you DH do it.  If he couldn't care, don't.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't invite them.  You have a perfectly good excuse.  who you invited to your wedding shower really has nothing to do w/ this.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I was just discussing this with DH. He wants me to invite the friends' wives. We do things with them as a couple a few times/year but I am not close to them, though friendly. But one invited me to her shower last year so I'm most likely going to invite them, especially since if I invite one, I should invite all 3-4. Do you think you'd be invited to theirs if they had one?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    How does your husband feel about it?  In this situation I think you could really go either way.  Since it's very small anyway, I'd be inclined not to invite, but since the husbands are your husband's closest friends, if he'd feel weird if the wives weren't invited I'd probably go ahead and do it.

• Options
    From your description I wouldn't invite them
  • Options

I would not invite them unless you consider them friends.  Considering your husbands are obviously close and you ladies are not, I have to believe there's a reason.  To invite them would seem gift-grabby, but I'm very inclined to believe you should only invite people you talk to regularly (with the exception of family).  If they, DH or their husbands ask why they weren't invited, simply state, "I'm having a small, intimate shower with family and a few very close friends.  As much as I wanted to invite Jane, I wanted to keep it intimate."

• Options

I think that it is fine to invite them if you want to, it is always nice to feel included.

I received an invite last year from a woman and I had no idea who she was.  I called around our group of friends and no one had any idea who she was (but they had received invites too).  I finally questioned my husband who said this girl's husband was in his fantasy football group thing (I have no idea what they call the people they play with).  He had met him once before at their draft, and the husband asked everyone for their addresses.  They didn't know why at the time, but we figured it out.  Now to me THAT is reaching. BTW, I didn't go.

• Options
    I think it is interesting that these women are the wives of your husband's BEST friends but you barely know them.  I know, quite well, the wives of my DH's best friends and he knows the husband's of my best friends (well enough to invite to an important function anyway).  Obviously if you don't know them then they should not be invited.  I doubt they would be offended, but if one of them says something (through their DH to your DH) then make sure he lets them know it was a small intimate shower.
  • Options

I'm currently in the same boat you are in, but with my boyfriend's girl friends... there's like 5 of them that are really close in our group, but unless it's a whole group (so the 15 of us almost) then i don't see them. I was going to keep mine pretty intimate too, but thinking of extending the invitation to them, they can choose if they want to come or not, but at least giving them the opportunity to share with the family too. Party!!!

• Options
    I invited 5 of DH's friends wives to my shower, but we all get together pretty often and have gotten together without our spouses. They are all women that I consider to be my friends, not just DH's.
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I wouldn't invite them and then later, if they ask, just say that it was just a shower for family only.

Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • Options

I think that it really depends on your situation.  DH's group of friends have been friends since hs/college.  Since DH and I met later in life, I'm comming in late in the picture.  I enjoy DH's friends and their wives and would love to do more with them.  My main point is that for my situation, I would have loved to have been invited, so my vote is to invite them. But, it depends on your situation: do you want them to be close friends of yours? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Its always nice to remain cordial with your husband's friend's wives. After all, if they aren't happy then they will nag your husband's friends. Then his friends will complain to him and you will hear about it. Wink

But seriously, if you don't feel that close to them then don't invite them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"