Baby Showers

surprise shower?

My mom insists on having my shower be a surprise.  I'm fine with not knowing the details or really anything about it except I would really like to know when it is.  I don't know about any of you, but when I am home/bumming around on the weekends, I am most likely in comfy clothes (i.e. not looking as cute as I'd want to look for my shower).  I don't know if I should push this issue and ask again (I've mentioned my concern to her before and she says I'm being silly, that everyone will think I look cute... blah blah blah) or should I just try to dress up a little anytime I got anywhere in the near future? haha thanks for any help!

I've also thought about giving her the dress I bought to wear to it and having her bring it along for me to change into, but this just seems like it would be awkward.

Re: surprise shower?

• A few hours advance notice would be nice (or even a few days) so that you have time to get ready. What if you make plans to go somewhere?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The details of the shower can be a surprise; although she needs to tell you when it is!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's pretty important to my mom that mine be a surprise, so I'm letting it go.  She just told me to dress nice when ever I go out, but I have a feeling I'm going to be able to tell.  Obviously if they invite you out somewhere, you'd dress nicely, and if my mom invited me to her house (which is where I know it is going to be) I'll be pretty suspicious.  Right now the only time she usually invites me over on a weekend is to color her hair.  She knows I usually go to the gym, then go to her house to shower, I really doubt she'd have me show up to my shower right after the gym.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • I will never, ever understand this "surprise shower" business y'all in NY/NJ/PA have.  Can't one of your friends tell you?
  • This is why I don't understand surprise showers. You know you're getting one! Now you're goinh to read into every "plan" every weekend.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Ask your best pal to secretly fill you in on the date. And, keep an eye on your registries -- when things start to be bought up, your shower is probably fast approaching
  • Ugh, that would drive me bonkers.  I'd ask her again if it would please be OK if she told you the date (emphasize how uncomfortable you are with the idea, that you'd really rather not have this sprung on you), and if she still won't budge, discreetly ask a good friend (one who could be sworn to secrecy) to spill the beans. 

• I think it is silly if you KNOW you are having one. 

For my 3rd baby I had a surprise shower given for me.  My BFF at the time did it and my DH was in on it.  It had been 17 years since my DS was born, we had moved and went to a different church, etc.  I thought I was going to a Tupperware party.  My DH kept trying to get me to put on something "nicer".  I had on shorts (it was July and we had no air).  Finally I put on a pair of slacks and a top.  I had made zuccini bread from a recipe my sister gave me and I took some over to my BFF and was complaining that she didn't say to grease the pans.  I was probably swearing a bit too (can't remember).  Well, she asked if I'd get something from her diningroom table and when I went in there EVERYONE yelled SURPRISE!!!!  OMG...it was the one and only time I've ever been surprised in my life.  It was a lot of fun I have to admit.  BTW...my sister was sitting there listening to me biotch about her recipe!  How embarrassing THAT was...plus all those church friends listening to me swear.  Opps!

Maybe they will do something like this.  Your DH probably knows so maybe he'll want to take you to the movies or whatever...and you end up at your shower.

• No she absolutely needs to tell you when it is. And a few hours in my opinion is not enough notice. You want to look cute at your shower and not have to throw something together at the last minute. If everything else is a surprise then fine but you need to know when it is. Push the issue!!
  • UGH!, I hate the idea of a suprise shower. I need to prepare so that LO don't have photos of me on a ponytail and sweats during his shower!

There are no blurred lines, only jail time

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

my blog: Inspirationseeker.blogspot.com
  • My shower will be a surprise and I think it's exciting!  Yes, I know that I'll be getting one but I think it's fun to be surprised!  I just plan to make sure I look nice when I go out.  I also joked around to DH that if I find a shirt I'd really like to wear for it, I'm going to leave it in the trunk of the car so if I'm caught wearing something I don't like as much, I can change when I get there...haha.  :-)

Don't stress too much.  I'm sure they wouldn't let you show up looking less than beautiful!

• Showers in my family are always a surprise -whether wedding or baby showers. I figured out when my wedding shower was (it was the only time I planned to see my parents and sister in the months before the wedding), so I knew when to dress up.

For my cousin's baby shower, she thought she was going to a goodbye BBQ for me (I was leaving for a year to study abroad a couple weeks later). She was totally casual when she arrived. Her sister had brought another outfit for her. She took a few minutes to change and that was that. It wasn't awkward at all.
  • imagesweetestlove:
    A few hours advance notice would be nice (or even a few days) so that you have time to get ready. What if you make plans to go somewhere?

this

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"