Baby Showers

Evites??

My sister is throwing my baby shower for me, and she called to ask me if I would mind doing evites for the shower as opposed to regular invitations? Has anyone else done this? Do you think its a good idea, or tacky? 

Re: Evites??

• First: Think about your guests - do they all have email? Can you think of any of them that would not like to receive an evite?

Second: How would you feel getting an evite to a baby shower?

Technically it is tacky but depending on your guests and their expectations it might be acceptable. In my family evites are fine, they would not be tolerated in DH's family.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMama_SAS:

First: Think about your guests - do they all have email? Can you think of any of them that would not like to receive an evite?

Technically it is tacky but depending on your guests and their expectations it might be acceptable. In my family evites are fine, they would not be tolerated in DH's family.

Thanks! Im not sure how I feel about it yet... It would save my sister money on the invitations which I like, but I also don't know how my guests would respond!?! 

• Loading the player...
  • My opinion - tacky.

• imageAshlew22:
    imageMama_SAS:

First: Think about your guests - do they all have email? Can you think of any of them that would not like to receive an evite?

Thanks! Im not sure how I feel about it yet... It would save my sister money on the invitations which I like, but I also don't know how my guests would respond!?! 

If you're not sure how they would respond then don't do it. You can print invites on your computer, you don't even need to buy them. Or you can buy them pretty cheap.

• Guests are definitely worth a stamp imo.   I would just tell her you would be very uncomfortable having evites sent and tell her why.   I would be slightly put off by it.  Don't get me wrong, I love evites for casual things but I think a shower calls for a stamp!
  • Thank you ladies!! I will talk to her about it tomorrow!
  • For events like showers, I think regular invitations are the way to go.  evite is great - for more casual stuff.  Not showers.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Borderline tacky but definitely NMS.  I love stationery and the simple pleasure of real mail and invites.  It makes me sad that people are moving away from that and toward more impersonal e-vites for everything.

For a book club meeting or Super Bowl party I can understand e-vites.  Cheap, easy, and no muss or fuss.  But for bridal and baby showers, weddings, etc. I think e-vites are lazy.

• As a person who loves the charm and tradition of etiquette yet who also loves the advantages of the electronic age and hates getting tons of paper in my snail mail that goes straight into recycle, my preference as a guest is always something green-friendly that I can receive and reply to online.  Evite isn't the only option, but it's free and certainly easy to use.  Echoing the caution that others have had - if you imagine people not being able to access or use it easily or genuinely being offended (although personally I can't imagine getting angry at something as lovely as a shower invite for someone I love and did in fact get several electronically).
  • I used evites for a "sprinkle" I'm hosting next week for a friend's 2nd baby.  This is not a "full blown" shower.

• This is my personal opinion but I am not a fan of evites - in particular for showers and weddings.  Inivitations can be found or made in a cost effective way so I don't personally see the need for an evite.
  • My hostess did e-vites for one of my showers. This shower was just with my friends (ages 20-25). They loved them. Truth be told, they check their email 5x more than they check their regular mail boxes. 

I think it depends on the guests. For my family shower, the hostesses did regular invites. My great-aunts wouldn't know what to do with an e-vite. It was a more formal shower, too. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did e-vites, I'm having a diaper party ( baby #2) but its a small get together and I know all my guests have e-mail and check it regularly. SO if you know this about your guests, I don't see why not!
  • I attended a shower where the mom to be and about 50% of the guests worked at Microsoft.  The hosts sent out an Evite.  It was appropriate for that group.

I put a lot of thought and time into invitations, so I personally would never send out an Evite.  50% of the guests at the shower I am throwing are over 50, so it would not have been appropriate for this group anyway.

• We did evites for a casual friends-only couples shower and it worked well.  

HOWEVER I am now anti-evite because I was left out of my sister-in-law's shower.  She got my email address wrong (and didn't bother to check on it or call to ask why I hadn't responded.)  So, I found out about the shower 2 days prior when my MIL asked if I wanted to carpool, as it was 2 hours away.  No bitterness here.

Anyway, I think if the guests are all email savvy and you or the host check on people who don't RSVP, it can be ok.  I don't think a shower full of my mom's friends, grandmas, aunts, etc. would appreciated evite invitations. 

Missed Miscarriage 9 weeks/Missed Miscarriage 12 weeks/Natural Miscarriage 5.5 weeks
    BFP 11/6/09. Rory Anne Born 6/28/10!

• Both my husband and I are very eco-friendly, so the host of my shower purposely sent evites because she knew we would be glad not to waste the paper. It worked out nicely though because we found out there are some evites you can send from the website we registered with (myregistry.com), and so the evite also had a discreet link to the registry. This way we kind of got to kill 2 birds with one stone.
  • I'm not a huge fan of evites, but for some people on our list (mostly those still in college), they are more likely to receive (and keep track of) and evite than a mailed invitation.  I would definitely send out real invitations to most family and older guests, but I think for a younger sibling or some friends it would be fine.
  • I would say borderline tacky.. It is a fine line. Your guest who are your age or younger may think nothing of getting an evite. However, older guest/family friends/older relatives may not use email and therefore never respond.
  • I think Evites are tacky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"