Parenting after a Loss
Options

BFing mommas...any tips for when I go back to work?

I got back to work on March 18th.  Any tips/tricks you have that made pumping at work, and if you found a schedule that worked would be greatly appreciated!  I'm planning on feeding (if C is up before I leave) or pumping (if he's not) in the mornings.  I know I can for sure pump during my lunch, and I can probable squeeze another quick session in too, it depends on the day (I'm a speech therapist in an elementary school, so my schedule is different every day).  How many times during your work day do you pump?  I leave my house no later than 7am and the earliest I would ever be able to pick him up from daycare would be just before 4pm, so that is 9 hours.  The past few days he has eaten 3 times during those hours, so am I best off to pump 3 times?  I don't know if I can do that : (  I want to do a couple practice days before I head back...

Re: BFing mommas...any tips for when I go back to work?

• Options

Well I've only been back 2 days but here are some ideas.

I feed Cora early in the morning (b/t 5 and 6) and leave for work at 7.  I pump 3 times at work - 8 a.m., 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.  I get Cora from day care b/t 4:30 - 5:00 and nurse her at pickup or as soon as I get home (they have a quiet room with a rocking chair there).

Some ways to save time:  Keep your pump parts in the fridge in a ziplock bag b/t pumping sessions.. this will eliminate the need to wash them every time.  Or, use the Medela quick clean wipes (Lansinoh makes them too) they are safe to use instead of soap and water, bleach free etc.  I use them and love them.  You can also use them to clean your hands before pumping if you are in a hurry.

I don't know how long your commute to work is, but Medela makes a car adaptor!  I think it is meant for mom's that have to pump in their car but I totally pump and drive sometimes :)  It's a little weird at first but I throw my nursing cover over me and just go.  They also make a battery pack so if you have the backpack one you can totally strap it on and pump while you put on your makeup and do your hair!  I have done this too.

Buy a few extra sets of bottles so you won't have to wash them every night or in case your daycare has to keep them overnight (unused milk, etc.  That way you have plenty to pump and store in at home while there are a few out of the house at daycare.

Keep ziploc bags and extra bottles and LIDS!!  at your desk or in your car.  You will inevitably forget one or both one day and you would be totally screwed otherwise!

I use the cooling element that comes with the pump and leave it with my pump in between pumping sessions instead of transferring my milk to the fridge at work.  The little mini cooler keeps your milk cold for up to 12 hours and I think it's just easier.

Nurse as often as you possibly can when you are with LO to keep your supply up and to keep them interested in the boob instead of the bottle (if that is important to you) - it will help them transition back and forth.

Don't forge tot let your nips dry before  you snap your bra back, otherwise you can get cracks and thrush..

I pump almost exactly the amt my LO eats in a day, so to keep ahead of her and to keep a good freezer stash, I still pump extra on the weekends.  I try to pump 2-3 times Saturday and Sunday in between nursing to get a few extra ounces as a cushion.  Not everyone has that issue but I am overly cautious I guess.

hmm.. I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of right now.  I'm sure I'll have more ideas after I've worked for a while!

BFP #1 = 12/23/08 M/C = 1/5/09 @ 6 w 0 d
    BFP #2 = 3/30/09 DD born 12/9/09
    BFP #3 = 5/17/11 EDD = 1/27/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    18 months
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Forgot to mention - you need this:

https://www.amazon.com/Made-by-Moms-Pumping-Band/dp/B000HKYKT0

so you can work and pump, drive and pump, etc.  It aint pretty but so quick and easy to put on and take off as opposed to the bustier hands-free bras with a million hooks.

18 months
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh and last thing!  Try to get everything you can ready the night before - bottles, pump put together etc. 
    18 months
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Holy crap girl!  You are super helpful!  I'm glad you posted the link to the pumping band, I want it!!!  Thanks sooooo much : )
  • Options
    Oh, and btw, Cora is beautiful : )
  • Options
    Thank you!  She doesn't have a date to prom yet ;)
    18 months
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I feed Lily before I leave- she usually wakes around 5, then again around 6:30 anyway, which is about when I need to wake up, so it's been working out well for us. I don't pump before I leave usually, unless I didn't get enough pumped for some reason the day before. I could pump when I get to work, but haven't been doing so b/c it's my plan bell (I'm a teacher) and I try to get everything done during that time period b/c I don't want to have to bring anything home with me. So, the only time I pump is during lunch. I then pump again once I get home, off of whatever side she's not eating off of. I can usually pump about 8oz at lunch, then another 4 after school, which is what she usually takes in during the day while I'm gone. She'd probably take more if I left it, but, this may sound horrible, but I leave enough to ensure she won't "starve", and don't worry about it, b/c I know she can eat as much as she wants at night.
  • Options

I am super cheap, so I made my own pumping bra.  Go buy a $5 sports bra at Walmart (I got the kind that hooks in the front), put it on, use a marker and mark x's over where your nipples are, take it off, and cut circles out over the x's.  There you go, super cheap pumping bra that works great!!!  And, you can afford to have more than one if you'd like. 

Prolactinoma, Hypothyroidism, PCOS m/c 8-19-08 @ 9wks 3d
    "And where was I before the day that I first saw your lovely face? Now I see it everyday and I know that I am the luckiest."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I am a teacher, and my LC said she wants me to pump 3x at work.  I think I will during my first break, lunch, and right after the kids leave.  Then, she said I should BF LO right when I get home, and to tell my mom, who will be watching her, not to feed her right before I get there.  HTH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"