Washington Babies

Earthquake in Chile... DH is there! {Update}

DH is headed to Santiago tonight on his way home.  That was close to the epicenter and according to the news, is out of power and not stable.  I think the news said it was a 8.8 earthquake and there was a resulting tsunami.  :(

He called me just before 11 our time (4am there) since the earthquake woke him out of a deep sleep.  He said people were running down the halls and it really movin and shakin.  He is in Mendoza, Argentina.  He wanted to call, since it was strong enough for him to think, grab his passport and run to get out of there. 

I feel selfish, with the mass destruction in Chile, but now I'm worried he will be delayed coming home.  He has been gone 9 days. 

They found a hotel to take them in, so that is a good thing.  When he called earlier, him and his 3 other co-workers were basically in the streets with their luggage and no place to go since the hotel they've been at said they were full to take them additional nights. 

They have also secured seats on a flight out of Buenos Aires on Monday night back home instead of the flight they were supposed to take out of Santiago tonight.  So 2 more days. 

He said it was pretty scary.  When he called me last night it was after the first of the shakes.  Then the big one hit!

The funny (if you want to call it that) thing is that his passport expires this week!  When this trip came up last month, he didn't have time to get a new one and since his return flight was before it actually expires, he thought no problem!  lol, now, he is cutting it close! 

So, now I have to explain to Audrey that we are NOT picking up daddy at the airport tomorrow.  I've been hyping it up all week, so she will be very disappointed.  (not to mention I have meetings on Tues so I won't be able to get him either... I'll have to send my IL's) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Earthquake in Chile... DH is there! {Update}

• Hopefully he'll get home soon. 8.8 is a huge quake.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank goodness he called to let you know he was safe!  I hope he'll be coming home to you soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • How scary! I hope he is able to get home soon, 9 days is already a long time to be gone.
    Photo by J. Shelton Photography
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageMy Blog
  • so glad he is okay!

Hopefully he can get home soon. I thought I heard the airport was damaged, but I am sure they have a disaster plan. hopefully any delay will be short lived

Dawn - Wife of Brian 09/25/2005 - Mother of Eli Jace 03/12/2007 and Kai Evan 10/17/08

• wow.. that's scary.  I am glad he's ok!  I hope he can make it home safely and soon.
  • Oh no, I hope he gets home soon and safely.
  • So glad he's safe! Hope he gets home soon.
  • It's good to know that he is safe. I hope he can get home to 3 soon.
  • I am so sorry - that is so nerve wracking. I hope he is able to get out. I think they closed the airport for 24 hrs but Santiago is a city that is fairly well prepared for earthquakes although one this big is sure to create havoc. We were in Chile and these affected areas just last year and feel so bad for the people there - a wonderful country.
  • Yikes!!  Hopefully he is able to get home quickly and safely!!
    imageimageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image . Ice Ice Binky Formerly FutureMrsLynch
  • Oh Lauri I saw this on your FB status. I hope Steve is doing ok & that he gets back to you and the kids safely and quickly.

Has he managed to find a hotel to stay at? 

My thoughts are with you & your family!!!!! 

collage Cooper Flynn is 3 years old and growing! May 10,2009 Miscarriage April 2008 Ectopic pregnancy August 2011
  • Im so glad to hear that he is ok and was able to call you. I hope he makes home to you and your little ones soon.
  • It's great that he was able to call you and let you know he was safe.  Hopefully he'll be able to get out on time.

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• I hope he will be able to get home quickly and safely.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • How scary. I know you can't wait to have him home. Thank goodness he was able to call you. We will be thinking of you guys.
  • imagespacystasi:
    Thank goodness he called to let you know he was safe!  I hope he'll be coming home to you soon!

This!  So scary!!

Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • I will be praying for his quick return!  How scary!  I didn't know this was the week he was going YIKES!
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • Glad that he is ok and hope that he gets back to you soon!
  • Wow - so glad to log in and see your update!  I was telling DH about this earlier.  He suggested Buenos Aires - so I'm glad that worked out!  I know it sucks to have a few more days as a single mama so hang in there!

• I'm glad to see your update, too!  I saw, on the news, that there was an after-shock quake in Argentina, right after the Chile quake.  It was 6.0 magnitude.  As soon as I heard that, I thought that may be what your DH experienced.  I'm glad he's booked on a trip to come home, even though it will be an extra 2 days.
    Photo by J Shelton Photography

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married 10/5/08 | 2 yrs of TTC, tests, procedures & a m/c | IVF #2 =James!
  • imageMrsH_08:
    I'm glad to see your update, too!  I saw, on the news, that there was an after-shock quake in Argentina, right after the Chile quake.  It was 6.0 magnitude.  As soon as I heard that, I thought that may be what your DH experienced.  I'm glad he's booked on a trip to come home, even though it will be an extra 2 days.

Yeah, I saw that too.  It was around noon and said to not have been an after shock.  That's crazy to have 2 so close together!  But, nope, DH felt the Chile one since he was just a few hundred miles away from the epi center.  He Skpyed us tonight so the kids got to see him. :)  The bad thing is that they have to pay for these extra 2 nights out of their own pockets.  The entire trip was paid for thru work.  :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"