Parenting after a Loss

Horrid Constipation

Our poor little Buggy has been struggling with constipation for about a month now. This morning she had such a big/hard poop that we couldn't get it out...without a rectal tear and bleeding. It was the worst moment of motherhood so far. Seeing my baby in that much pain made me lightheaded. We took her to the pedi and they put us on more prune juice as well as baby food prunes. Layne was fine after about ten minutes but I have been sick about it all day. :( Anyone else having this issue?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Horrid Constipation

• Oh my gosh your poor little girl.  DS had really bad constipation and my dr. told me the same thing - prune juice.  It did not work for us.  After 10 days of no poop, we gave him a glycerin suppository.  They have them for babies, and I would really recommend it.  If she goes for 7-10 days with no poop, I would absolutely go for it and give her one.  It's hard because they don't like it, but after we did that, DS has not gone longer than 3 days without poop (this was in December).  GL, I hope Layne feels better! 

ETA: If you decide to go this route, make sure you have a towel and clean diaper under her (and a few extra handy, just in case) because the poop will start coming like crazy within 5 minutes.  You might have to switch the diaper out at some point before she stops, depending on how much poop she has in her.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I am so sorry for little Layne. I with Mrs. Patterson about the glycerine suppositories. We used these in the pediatric ER I worked in and they work very well!

Good luck.

Cole doesnt have constipation issues but I know when I give him his medicine mixed in 3cc of apple juice he goes RIGHT after...also gripe water makes him poop and fart like a trucker!

• Loading the player...
  • Dylan has the same constipation issues. He was originally very gassy and we switched formulas and that fixed the gas issues and made him the sweetest baby. But the new formula caused him to be consitipated with hard poops, straining, and some pain.  One day he cried when pooping and I started crying watching him. It was one of the worst moments by far. We added prune juice to his bottles per the pedi - we just do 1oz/1x per day.  His poops are still more formed but less hard and they no longer hurt. I was also told to start him on oatmeal first and to avoid rice cereal. We are thinking of trying oatmeal in another month or so to see if it helps him. I hope Layne has the same success on prune juice as Dylan. ((hugs))
    After 2 m/cs, dx October 2008 with hetero factor v leiden & mthfr & low progesterone; third time was the charm - BFP 3/19/09 on first cycle of clomid. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies. I really appreciate your advice!
  • We had similiar issues at just 2 weeks old... his poo was coming out solid and hard and like small pebbles ....... sometimes they were a bit bigger, but still very hard.  After 2-3 days of this he also had rectal bleeding and what's called a fissure I think... can't recall exactly.  Anyway, our Pedi told us to give him Milk of Magnesia.  I asked about prune juice and the other juices that are used as per the books and word of moouth.. he said that is an old remedy ??  Anyway, he also said that in addition to the daily dose of MOM, to put a thermometer up his bottom, with lots of vaseline and to turn it 360 degrees round and round for about 30 seconds... we gave him the MOM for 3 days and did the thermometer in him once a day, twice.  Not sure which did the trick, but he definitely overcame the constipation.  The MOM got him flowing again and the thermometer trick "unclogged" him so to speak.  Good luck!  It was terrible to see him hurting so much whenever trying to go poo... and then it hurt to clean his bottom because of the fissure and soreness.
  • I am so sorry you girls are going through this. Poor sweet Layne. I hope and pray the prunes help her out. That makes me hurt thinking about what she is going through. Smother her in kisses!
  • That sounds so gut wrenching.... I'm so sorry!!!

SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"