Special Needs

ASD question...

Hi I'm sorry to butt-in on this board but I was wondering when you first picked-up on ASD in your child?  Also, looking back were there any signs when the baby was younger?  Thank you VERY much!

Re: ASD question...

• We began noticing signs around 15-18 months.  We had it mentioned to us at 15 months but I felt it was too soon.  At his 18 months appoitment his ped mentioned PDD_NOS and send us to a developmental ped.  His official "diagnosis" was 2 weeks ago.

• Aww...I'm so sorry.  How are you guys handling it?  Did you notice any problems prior to him being a year?  Was he meeting all his milestones?
  • Loading the player...
  • No, he wasn't meeting his milestones.  He is motor delayed because of low muscle tone.  He held his head up at 3 months, sat around 8 months, crawled around 10.5 months and walked around 15 months but didn't do it well until around 20 months.  IMO, this is a different issue as we are suspecting an apraxia going on as well.  He was also premature so I take that into consideration.  Our oldest knows he's delayed but because we got the diagnosis not that long ago we haven't completely told him why he is delayed.  Our twins are delayed as well so I don't think they realize that he is "different".
  • DD#2 always had gross motor delays, so she was in EI early on for that... we noticed communication delays around 12 months (mainly receptive, later expressive) and some cognitive delays. Specifically, she didn't turn to look when her name was called, she didn't point things out to us, she didn't bring us things to show us, etc. She was always very content to do her own thing, but she didn't "play" like a typical kid, more like running around everywhere (when she finally began walking, that is.) My EI coordinator gave me an M-CHAT to complete just before her 18 month check-up, and a lot of red flags popped up from that. I mentioned the possibility of ASD at her 18 month check-up, and the ball was sent rolling from there. She rec'd her dx of PDD-NOS when she was about 21 months.

As for signs early on, I'd say she's always been a very "serious" baby, if that makes sense... in hindsight, that might have been b/c she was having trouble making connections with us. She also never took a bottle, which might have been sensory-specific. Many kids on the spectrum have sensory issues. Again, though, this is all purely speculative. 

Oh yeah, she also always had low muscle tone.

A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garrett
    image7_0002 A ~ 2.7.06 S ~ 9.2.07
  • I can not tell you how old he was when I first noticing things (I just don't remember anymore)  There would jsut be small things that he would do when he was young.  What I do know and remember, I started to take him to places when he was 2 because I knew something was wrong. 
  • DS was around 18 months when we really started wondering. We called EI at ~23 months. Looking back, he did several things, but nothing that was anywhere near a diagnostic level. He liked to look at books by himself, he liked to be alone, he needed no entertaining, he never pointed... nothing that raised red flags early on. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had someone tell US at 19 months- DCPpointed out that DS didn't really "play" with toys, didn't interact with the other kids, didn't come to his name. We never suspected ASD but we had always thought DS was "aloof" since he was 8-9 months or so. We'd sing songs or make goofy faces and he'd look away, bored. So we thought that it was funny and he was just being bored with us. As he got older he got more aloof and didn't play with toys properly in his age range. We noticed this but it never bothered us. I always thought not playing with toys "properly" just meant he was a creative thinker! His speech is obviously delayed (no words at 22 months) and that's initially what drove us to EI. The ASD diagnosis came from them.
  • There is a GREAT resource called First Signs that has video comparisons- you could check it out free online!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"