Preemies

Question about IUGR

I hope you dont mind me posting this question for you. I am from 3rd tri and Baby B was dx with IUGR.

I was wondering if you could share you story with me. Also, how did your IUGR babies do once they were born and how are they doing now?

I appreciate it and thank you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about IUGR

• DD was born at 32 weeks with severe IUGR that was diagnosed about 2 weeks before via ultrasound.  She had not grown in several weeks (at least) and we knew she would be coming early.  I went into labor at 32 weeks so we decided to just let her come since she obviously wasn't doing well inside.  She weighed 2 lbs 9 oz and stayed in the NICU for 6 weeks. She did really well, but dealt with the preemie issues like desats and bradies, and of course slow weight gain.  She is  almost 10 months now and is doing great.  She is in the 4th percentile for weight and the 12th for height.  She will most likely always be petite.  She is delayed in both gross and fine motor skills and she still has no teeth, but the Dr. is expecting her to catch up on all of that at some point.  Good luck!  

P.S Just so you know, they estimated DD's weight via ultrasound that day at 2 lbs 4 oz, and she was a little bit bigger, so sometimes they can be off in either direction. 

BFP #1 - Chemical Pregnancy ----BFP#2 - DD born at 32 weeks-----BFP #3 Spontaneous Identical Twin Boys lost due to Missed M/C - on 7/1/11----BFP #4 Baby girl lost due to Trisomy 22 on 1/6/12 PGAL and PAL Always Welcome! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you for telling me your story. Your DD is beautiful!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had severe pre-e and IUGR. Katie weighed 2lbs. 15oz. at 33 weeks. We stayed 23 days in the NICU. No major issues, just had to overcome typical preemie issues- maintaing temps, suck swallow, and get to 4lbs before we could go home.

She is perfect now at over 2 years of age. We did have some delayed gross motor skills. She started crawling at 11 months and walking at 14 months. She did not qualify for EI due to not being delayed enough in all 4 categories. KY EI is very difficult to get enrolled. You wouldn't even know she was a preemie. SHe is in the 95% for height and 25% for weight.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • DD was born with IUGR as well. At about 32 weeks I had sudden high blood pressure and a biophysical profile (ultrasound) was ordered. I had not had one since my 20 week check. I had my ultrasound at week 33 and they noticed she was incredibly small for her gestational age. They monitored me for a week in the hospital and she was not making any improvement so they performed an emergency c-section. DD was born weighing 3lbs and was 15in. She stayed in the NICU for 21 days and did really well. She had to be under the bili lights for jaundice and pretty much just was a feeder/grower. She came home at a little over 4 lbs. She is now 3 months old and is doing fabulous. No issues at all as of yet and she is a little over 9lbs!

Good luck!!!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Robbie was born several weeks earlier than you are now, but also had IUGR (most likely from the pre-e)

He had a lot of trouble gaining weight in the NICU, but he also had major reflux trouble, and a long intubation. We later found out he'd been born with a diaphragm abnormality which caused a hiatal hernia. So it's really hard to say what caused what. 

Being IUGR does put them at greater risk for trouble gaining weight later and some developmental delays. The good news is that all of that is treatable with therapy and fattening food. 

My son is now 21 months actual and finally caught up in growth (his head caught up quickly, then weight, then length) and is making a lot of strides in his motor development.

• E was iugr due to pre-e and was 2lb 5 oz at 30w4d.  She had the typical preemie issues listed above and was very slow to gain weight.  She spent 69 days in the nicu and was 6lb 1 oz at discharge.  She is now 7 month old and was15lb 2 oz at her 7 month appointment.  She is doing great and is hitting her milestones at her adjusted age or a little earlier.  She has no other health issues.
  • Abby was IUGR and I had HELLP/pre-e, so I was induced at 31w6d. She was 2lbs 15 oz and came out breathing on her own due to the steroid shots. She had to be fed through a tube and kept in the nicu until she learned to suck/swallow and could regulate temp. She came home after 31 days.

Now she is 6 months and 13lbs 3oz (7th percentile) Her height is still 1st percentile, but she's growing like a weed! She's hitting most of her milestones on time. We see a physical therapist weekly to help her with her neck muscles due to a head tilt (torticollis), but it's hardly noticable now and will be gone soon.

In our experience, being IUGR born at 32 weeks just meant she is smaller and a little more at risk for illnesses. They are not sure why she stopped growing in-utero. They assume it had something to do with the placenta, the single umbilical artery cord, or my pre-e. Good luck!

• You can read all the details about my twin IUGR babies.  They were born at 28wks 6days due to severe IUGR and end diastolic reversal of bloodflow due to IUGR in Baby B (that's Evan).  They were 2lbs 15oz and 1lb 7oz.  They were in the NICU for 67 and 68 days.  Cameron, the bigger baby A, came home on oxygen and an apnea/brady monitor, while my peanut Evan came home weighing only 3lbs 14oz and no oxygen or monitor assistance at all.  It's been a very rough long road for us, the details would take a while to type.  But they are almost two and with the exception of severe reflux causing them not eating by mouth thus requiring G tubes to feed them and some speech an oral aversion issues, they are pretty much right on target within a couple months of their full term peers. 

Feel free to email me if you have questions at Taylo2Babies at gmail.com.

• Thank you all so much for taking the time to tell me your personal stories. I truly appreciate it and it helps give me a sense of relief to know that it will be ok. Of course you all know exactly how worried I am.

Thank you!

• My girls were both diagnosed with IUGR around 25 weeks...before that they ahd been VERY large for twins. They were born at 30 weeks, and both weighed in at 2.8 pounds. They are tiny for their age, but I'm not very big either. As my DR puts it, the girls just aren't destined to be large girls. At 19 months they weigh 19 and 19.3 pounds but are each 31.5 inches tall.. both are advanced developmentally for their actual age.

We had feeding issues when they were little. They eat very well now (they hated bottles when they were littler b/c they had suck/swallow issues).  A friend of ours has ID twins, one had a 2 artery umbilical cord (which caused him to get less nutrients than his brother) and he's been constantly 3-5 pounds smaller than his brother...her pedi likened his growth curve to a baby who had IUGR in utero (even though he didn't)...still growing, but just a little bit slower.

• My IUGR had a happier ending I think than most.  we were diagnosed at 32 wks and they were sure my son Harm would have to come early.  They did 3x a wk stress tests and weekly ultrasounds to measure his progress.  Each time we thought he was going to have to come he ended up doing better than they thought.  We lasted out to 37 wks and he came out 5 lbs even.  We took him home.  We were lucky, but it can happen.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • I measured behind my entire pregnancy but it was at 28 weeks that the IUGR was discovered.  I spent 2 days in the hospital and got the steroid shots.  From there, I was on modified bed rest, had twice a week NST's and weekly ultrasounds.  I was induced at 36 weeks. 

DS was born at 3lb 7oz and spent 10 days in the nicu for body temp regulation, feeding & growing, and jaundice. 

Now, he's doing well but is behind in all developmental milestones.  We don't know if that's iugr-related or what the cause is.

He also has feeding issues and severe reflux and we see a cardiologist for a VSD - I don't know if this is IUGR-related or not.

The good news is that he's never had any breathing or lung issues so that is a blessing!

• Hey! My DD had IUGR, I had pre-eclampsia and she was born at 32 weeks weighing 3 lbs, 14.5 oz and 17.5" long.

She stayed in the NICU for about a month to learn how to eat, gain weight and get over her jaundice.

It's nearly 2 years later and she is a horse--34" long, 28.5 lbs. No developmental problems whatsoever. She was crawling by 8 months and walking around 13 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"