Stay at Home Moms
Options

Seriously need help losing the bottle

We are now supposed to get ds on to soy milk.  Great.  The first couple days were an adjustment but now he drinks it fine.  The problem is that he will not drink it from a sippy.  He will do water from a sippy, but no milk.  He only wants the bottle.  Every day I have broken down and just given him the bottle in the end because his diapers just haven't been that wet and he needs the hydration.  How on earth am I going to get this kid to drink his milk from a cup?!?  I really don't have an issue with him having the bottle, it's just some day, he is going to need to learn to drink from a cup.  WWYD?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Seriously need help losing the bottle

• Options

Be tough!  If he can take water from a sippy, then he can take milk.  He'll be fine if he doesn't drink much milk for a day or two.  Give him lots of fruit for hydration instead :)

DS didn't want to give up the bottle.  I gave it to him whenever he wanted, but only put water in the bottle.  Milk only went in the cup.  He got over the bottle pretty quick.

• Options
    imageali-1411:

DS didn't want to give up the bottle.  I gave it to him whenever he wanted, but only put water in the bottle.  Milk only went in the cup.  He got over the bottle pretty quick.

Brilliant.  Tell him the plan - water/bottle, milk/cup and stick with the plan.  Nice, ali- 1411.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I dunno- I disagree. I don't sweat the whole 'lose the bottle by 1' theory and neither did my pedi. At one Gisele had 2 bottles a day. I kept trying with the milk in the cup and it was rough- The thing with Gisele is she could care less about the bottle or what was in it- if i didn't offer her a bottle she just didn't care and wouldn't ask for it. She would drink milk from a regular big girl cup (sipping from it like big people) but wouldn't do it in a straw cup or sippy.

I just didn't push it- by 15 months she just automatically started drinking it from a straw cup one morning- like it was no biggie. Night before- forget about it. next morning- no biggie. -- So my thought, if he isn't ready at 12 months- is it REALLY worth having a battle over it?- of course if the kid is three- now that is ridiculous. But at one- he is still a baby. As long as you are actively trying I say, don't sweat it.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Stacy has a point, you don't really need to ditch the bottle if he's not ready or if you don't feel like fighting with him.  I was determine to lose the bottle at 12 months because I was sick of washing them :)
  • Options
    With my dd she was 18 months when we took the bottle fully away from her. At 1yr we took them away from her during the day. It was hard and for a few days she didn't drink anything but water from her sippy cup. I would put out two cups one with milk one with water. She finally one day grabbed the cup with milk in it and started drinking. But her night time bottle was so hard! We just went cold turkey. We put a sippy cup with milk in her crib and shut the door. She screamed about it for about 5 minutes and when I peaked in at her she was sitting curling her hair in her hands and starting to go to sleep with her cup in the other hand haha. After 3 days she was bottle free.
    TTC #3 since June 2011. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

We're having the same problem too. Luckily we've been using Born Free bottles all along, and they make sippy cup like tops for them. So it hasn't been too much of a switch for her. 

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"