Secondary IF
Options

tell me all you can about follistim please

Today is cd21 (or 8 if I base it on the latest round of clomid - I don't understand how to chart days this cycle obviously).
Last dose of clomid was last night, I go next week for u/s & b/w.  If I get nothing from this round of clomid, I'm moving on and follistim is the next step so I need to know what it's all about.
Side effects, length of injections (I realize that'll be different for everyone), monitoring (is it any different than clomid monitoring), and whatever else you can tell me.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: tell me all you can about follistim please

• Options

I have taken follistim twice for IVF cycles.  I responded super quickly to it.  I didn't notice any problems with it.  Sometimes the injection site may have been a little read of itchy, but nothing huge.

I did get a huge migraine this last time, but i can't pin point it to the follistim, as i was taking a few different hormones and the combination probably caused it!

To be honest, the worse side effect of follistim for me was the cost!  LOL! 

• Options

I loved Follistim compared to Clomid.  I had horrible side effects with Clomid and virtually no side effects with Follistim.  Just like Eyenerd said, I responded very quickly to the Follistim so I was on fairly low doses and for a very short period of time.  I usually only stimmed for around 7 days.  I think most people go for 9-13 days, not sure on that though.

Obviously, it is a little more scary being that it is an injectable med.  But seriously, the needle is sooooooooo tiny that you really can barely feel it.  The medicine burns slightly when you inject it but it is barely noticable. 

Not sure what kind of monitoring you did with Clomid, but with the Follistim, I had bloodwork and u/s done on CD3, 7, 9, 10.

The only side effect I had was a bloated feeling.  Obviously, with the IVF cycle I did, the object was to get as many follicles as possible so I was on higher doses and there were other drugs added in to produce and mature more follies.  During that cycle, I was REALLY, painfully bloated after trigger.  But, during my IUI cycles when we were only trying to get a couple of good follies, I was bloated but it was manageable.  The only other side effect, as Eyenerd said, is co$t!!!  Follistim must be made of gold!!  Indifferent

Good luck

Dx with severe endometriosis. DS#1 conceived with Met and TI. TTC#2 for 2.5 yrs. Dx 2nd IF. 4 clomid cycles, 2 IUIs, Finally IVF#1 w/ICSI worked for us! twins born 35w3d. Unexpected total hysterectomy 6/11. Now on the HRT train.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"