Baby Showers
Options

How early's too early?

My husband's in the army so we live over 1000 miles from home. We'll be home on leave for about two weeks in May and it would be convenient to have the baby shower then. Also, there's a good chance my husband will be deploying shortly after that. I'll be just about 24 weeks at this time, is this too early for the shower? I'd be able to go home at a later date, but I'm not sure if my husband can. What do you ladies think? Thanks for the advice!

Re: How early's too early?

• Options
    I'd say go ahead! 25 weeks is def. not too early. especially in your case.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • Options
    Yeah - I'd say given your circumstance it is totally acceptable. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree, given your circumstances it is fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be 26 weeks at my inlaw shower and they are local. I have no idea why my MIL wanted to do it so early, but whatever. So definitely not too early for you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    If the timing works for your family, feel free to go right ahead.  It's not too early.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Options
    The only thing that I could think of is that 24 weeks is your viability date...if you have it sooner and something happens, I would hate to see you in a pickle where you have all of these gifts and no little one. That would personally rip me to shreds to have a home full of baby gear and no baby...and then possibly returning all those gifts to the gift givers. OMG.
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Options
    I was just thinking when DH and I went away for a long weekend when I was 20 or 21 weeks, I barely even looked pg.  I agree that something could happen and it would suck to have all these gifts and no baby, but something could happen at anytime, so after the 1st tri I really wouldn't worry too much about that.  You also have to think about what you're going to do w/ all the gifts.  I had my shower 2 weeks ago and couldn't help myself so the pack and play is out, the swing, the car seat.  We are definitely ready for this baby, I'm not sure if you'd want your house looking like that for 3 or 4 months.  I also just had my work shower on Wednesday so now there is really nothing really to look forward to but the baby, so again, doing that for 3 or 4 months.  Also, I had a traditional women shower, DH was not involved at all, so I really don't see how his availability has much to do with it.  So if it was me, I'd prefer a shower closer to when I'm due, I'd also prefer to go to a shower for a women who closer to giving birth, but its not me so do what works for you
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options
    I would say that normally you don't have it earlier than 30 wks. My first shower will be at around that time, and I thought that it was early--but it's out of state (~ 10 hrs drive for us); and I don't want to be on the road that long later in the pregnancy. Plus, they had a hard time finding a venue that would accomodate a later shower. Given your circumstance, I think it would be fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds good to me.  I'm doing something very similar for my shower at 30 weeks, and have a friend doing hers around 22 weeks-ish for the same reasons.  It's just what works.  Sure, 35 might be ideal, but it's just not gonna happen.
  • Options

imageTulipsAndChampagne:
    The only thing that I could think of is that 24 weeks is your viability date...if you have it sooner and something happens, I would hate to see you in a pickle where you have all of these gifts and no little one. That would personally rip me to shreds to have a home full of baby gear and no baby...and then possibly returning all those gifts to the gift givers. OMG.

Sadly, this can happen to women who wait until later to have their showers too. Women can lose babies at full-term, so I don't think this is a valid reason to not have a shower when it's best for her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"