Houston Babies
Options

Poll: Childbirth/Parenting Classes

Did you take child birth classes?

Did you take other types of classes before the baby was born?

What classes would you recommend? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Poll: Childbirth/Parenting Classes

• Options

With O we took a lot of classes:  child birth, infant care, infant cpr, breastfeeding.

They were all helpful for us because we had zero baby experience.   

• Options
    Nope, we didn't do any classes at all!  :)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We took a hypnobirthing class and a hospital sponsored class on childbirth for my first. And with the second we ditched the hypnobirthing and tried to get into a Bradley class but they were full so I just read a natural childbirth book. I also did a couple's breastfeeding class which was extremely helpful.
  • Options

We took zero classes prior to having our first baby, but we were living a foreign country during the last half of my pregnancy. 

If I had a do-over, I'd definitely take a childbirth class.  I felt like I was mentally unprepared for the pain of labor and it's always been a big regret.  I'd recommend taking a class to prepare you for delivering your baby, most definitely.

• Options
    We're taking two different classes - Infant Care and CPR - through our hospital. I know that the Motherhood Center also does them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We took a one day Childbirth class.  I'm glad we took it, especially so my DH knew what to expect (he was clueless before the class).  We also took the Infant Care one day class.  Most everything in that class was covered in the Childbirth Class.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We did the "life with baby" class b/c we had zero baby experience.  It was really basic stuff, but I was glad we did it.  I didn't do any labor classes b/c I was planning on drugs, so I didn't figure I needed lamaze.  ;-)

• Options

Breastfeeding at Womens was a super helpful class. If you plan to BF, it's a must- esp since they give the men a lot to think about as far as what they need to do to help. it also covers pumping, storage and more.

I took "infant care" at Motherhood Center and I don't recommend it. I think it's a waste of time for 2 hours to show you how to change a diaper and give the baby a bath. For $80, I'll drive to your house and show you. Other infant care classes might be better but that one stunk.

I really wish we had taken CPR but we just ran out of time... 

• Options
    Jointly, DH and I did a childbirth class and Infant CPR class.  I took a BF class by myself.
  • Options
    We didn't take any classes. I am more of a wing it type of person Smile I did have loads of babysitting experience and a few nieces and nephews. My OB didn't really feel they were necessary for us either.  I doubt DH ever changed a diaper before DS was born but he had on the job training and does great!
  • Options
    I didn't take childbirth classes, I did the hypnobirthing home study instead. We did go to safety/CPR and BF classes.
  • Options
    We took childbirth and infant care together and I took BFing and CPR by myself.  (DH was supposed to go to CPR but couldn't end up making it.)  I would definitely take the childbirth class.  DH and I both enjoyed ours and learned quite a bit.  I think it mentally prepared me for the birthing experience and pain.  The infant care was just so-so but the BFing and CPR were great! 
  • Options

Did you take child birth classes? Yes

Did you take other types of classes before the baby was born? We planned on taking CPR but haven't done it yet

What classes would you recommend? We took an infant care and a breastfeeding class through the hospital. We watched a 6 hour long DVD on childbirth because the classes were all weekends we couldn't attend due to our showers or other commitments. I really enjoyed the DVD - it was informative but funny too. Let me know if you want to borrow it.  I would only recommend childbirth and breastfeeding - the infant care was okay but not as informative- I have a DVD for that too if you want to borrow it. My job gave me three DVDs - childbirth, infant care and breastfeeding so you're welcome to borrow them. The same funny lady does all three.

• Options
    We didn't do anything and I don't feel like we missed out on anything.
  • Options
    I didn't take any before DD but I did take BFing when I was pregnant with DS. I didn't BF my daughter so it was totally new to me and I wanted to be prepared. DH came with me and I am glad he did. There was a wealth of information for the husbands and many men asked questions. I am a little surprised to see how many posters took BFing without their husbands.
  • Options
    We took the childbirth class at our hospital. Wanted to do CPR, but never got around to it.  I found some things beneficial, others not so much. Overall it was good. The best part was touring the hospital. That's a must if you haven't done it yet.
  • Options

My DH and I both took child birth, infant care, infant cpr and breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding was by far the most helpful and I suggest sending DH too, good insight for them.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"