North Carolina Babies
Options

your favorite healthy meals

I'm looking for suggestions on your favorite healthy meals.  Not salads, but a "normal" meal that is also good for you.  Something I can fix for dinner for all of us.

Thanks 

Re: your favorite healthy meals

• Options

Here are a couple of my standbys:

Roasted sweet potatoes, steamed spinach and either grilled chicken or pork tenderloin.

Salsa turkey patties (ground turkey, salsa mixed together into a patty and grilled), sliced avocado, salad. (I serve DH's with a bun and cheese, but mine is naked).

Grilled chicken tacos with black beans, corn tortillas, lettuce, fresh guacamole. Salad on the side.

Can you tell, my grillpan is my fave kitchen tool?

• Options

i made this https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/pasta-primavera-recipe/index.html last night, and it was delicious. i used snaps, red pepper, cherry tomatoes and asparagus. yum!

i also love rachael ray's quick tagine-style chicken. i don't know if your hubby or kids would go for it, but we like it a lot.

chili. yum! i either use ground turkey or 96% lean ground beef. then for leftovers, we make it into a taco salad.

RR's chicken and dumplings are good too.

can you tell i don't have a huge amount of time to cook? LOL! i do cook dinner at least every weeknight, so i need to have quicker things.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We do whole wheat spaghetti with lean ground beef.  You can also do it with turkey.

Someone already said chili.  We make a black bean chili that is pretty good.  I found the recipe in my Southern Living Cookbook.

Grilled Chicken Salad

• Options

We do a Spring Pasta Dish.

It has whole wheat pasta, grilled chicken, asparagus, cherry tomatoes and artichoke hearts.

We lightly sautee the asparagus in olive oil. We add all the chicken and pasta to get everything warmed up together and then add the cherry tomatoes and artichoke hearts at the very end just to warm them up. It's a nice light weight dish but still fills you up.

• Options

We also do spaghetti and chili alot.

Salsa chicken in the crockpot - chicken, salsa, black beans and corn

sauted shrimp and pasta - i just saute it with a little garlic and olive oil and serve over whole wheat pasta and it's really good

chicken, broccoli & rice, either with soy or teriaki sauce

You can make regular things much better for you just by making small changes.  Like using ground turkey or chicken instead of beef.  Or just getting the leanest beef you can find.  And doing whole wheat pastas and breads instead of white.  Use seasonings and/or olive oil in place of butter or milk based sauces.  Salsa also adds really good flavor to things otherwise bland without adding alot of fat and calories.  Eat sweet potatoes instead of white.  You can even do baked sweet potato french fries! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagetgallo:

We do a Spring Pasta Dish.

It has whole wheat pasta, grilled chicken, asparagus, cherry tomatoes and artichoke hearts.

We lightly sautee the asparagus in olive oil. We add all the chicken and pasta to get everything warmed up together and then add the cherry tomatoes and artichoke hearts at the very end just to warm them up. It's a nice light weight dish but still fills you up.

That sounds delish! I'm actually making something similiar for dinner next week, but using sun-dried tomatoes (instead of cherry tomatoes), and spinach (I guess instead of the asparagus?).

• Options

Stir fry is a favorite of ours....brown rice, I use frozen mixed veggies, low sodium soy sauce, and you can fry an egg and mix it in.  You can also add shrimp or chicken if you want.  Yummy.

I also do a mixture of cooked chicken, black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes.  I combine that and heat it on the stove and serve over brown rice. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"