South Florida Babies
Options

vent... (but, am i wrong??)

My mother calls me yesterday and tells me that my grandmother wants to know if I can lend my cousin's fiancee the mantilla we used at our wedding.  Mind you, the mantilla we used, my grandmother made for us.  We had a Catholic ceremony and this mantilla was a part of the ceremony that was important to me and DH.  The tradition of it, the symbolism, it was what we wanted. 

My grandmother wanted me to lend my cousin's fiancee the mantilla because their wedding is outside on the beach and she is going to be cold.  I said no.  1) this mantilla means a lot to me.  My grandmother made it for me and it's very special.  2)  I didn't use it in my wedding to cover my shoulders or as just a shawl.  It was a very personal and special moment it was used for.  3)  uhm, you planned a wedding in February on the beach and you bought a $2000 strapless dress and didn't think to get some sort of cover up??? 

My mom and dad and grandmother are upset at me b/c I don't want to lend it to her (oh, did I mention the wedding is outdoors and everyone will be eating an all you can eat buffet from Shorty's bbq?  not exactly the cleanest option.  I don't want bbq sauce on our mantilla, either.)  And how come my sister hasn't been asked, either?  Ugh.  I'm just irritated. 

Do I suck it up and lend it to her??  Oh, and SHE hasn't even called to ask me... neither has my grandmother (who, btw, was altering and hemming her wedding dress, I guess that's why she's been involved in the whole wardrobe thing.)  I feel that if it were that important to borrow mine, she should call me... or at least have my cousin call me, you know? 

Is this understandable?  or am I overreacting?

Re: vent... (but, am i wrong??)

• Options
    IMO, I don't think you are overreacting.  I agree that the mantilla is a special, religious piece, and not a waredrobe piece.  I'm glad you had the guts to say no.  And I also agree that if the bride really wanted it, she should have phoned, and not have grandma ask mom to ask you.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

You're not overeacting. I would have said no, too. Especially since you have two daughters that might want to use a BBQ stain-free mantilla at their weddings someday. It's not a wardrobe piece, it's symbolic and meaningful to you, and I wouldn't want to lend it to anyone either.

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with everything Eli and Jackie said!
    image image

• Options

ditto Leanna.  hehee

Seriously, tell them that it has a lot of sentimental value to you and you would prefer it remain in your possession for your daughters.  Then offer her your white cardigan sweater instead.  Wink

Jason & Patricia 5/28/06

• Options
    imageMrsLeanna:
    I agree with everything Eli and Jackie said!
    this :-)
  • Options

and now i'm getting this "guilt trip" that my grandmother is going to go out and spend $100 to make a lace shawl.  Uhmm.... ok 1) why???  have the bride f*king go out and buy a f*king cardigan from forever 21 and 2) how is that my problem if my grandmother is going to buy a 100 worth of fabric? 

ugh.  whatever.

• Options
    wow, i've also just realized how incredibly cranky i am today LOL 
  • Options

You have every right to be cranky - you're very pregnant. 

Is the cousin a granddaughter also?  if so, your grandmother should make her one too if she made one for you.  This is not your problem.  Stand your ground.  If your grandmother WANTS to go out and spend $100 then she should have.  However, this seems poor planning on the part of the bride to wait until 3 days before the outdoor wedding in February to realize she might need a cover up.  Not your problem.  

image image

• Options
    and I'm cranky today too.
    image image

• Options
    If she would like to borrow it, she should be the one to call you for it.  I understand your feels and don't think you are wrong.  Now, if you were never planning on doing anything with it ever again and it is just collecting dust then maybe suck it up for the family - but this sounds more like something you might want to pass onto Sarah and Abby one day so I wouldn't. 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think you have every right to say no.
  • Options
    imageMrsLeanna:

You have every right to be cranky - you're very pregnant. 

Is the cousin a granddaughter also?  if so, your grandmother should make her one too if she made one for you.  This is not your problem.  Stand your ground.  If your grandmother WANTS to go out and spend $100 then she should have.  However, this seems poor planning on the part of the bride to wait until 3 days before the outdoor wedding in February to realize she might need a cover up.  Not your problem.  

no, my cousin is the groom.  she's from up north (nebraska) and you'd think that someone planning a wedding in February would "get" that it would be cold, right???  It's notn like she's from Hawaii or somewhere in the Caribbean where it wouldn't get cold and she didn't realize that the weather gets colder in Feb... she's from freaking Nebraska, for godsake.  dude.  that's the reason they chose Feb on the beach!!  Bc they knew it wouldn't be cold!!

• Options

imagerach312:
    If she would like to borrow it, she should be the one to call you for it.  I understand your feels and don't think you are wrong.  Now, if you were never planning on doing anything with it ever again and it is just collecting dust then maybe suck it up for the family - but this sounds more like something you might want to pass onto Sarah and Abby one day so I wouldn't. 

exactly, rach.  i want to pass this on to my girls.  It's like Abby's baptism gown... I wanted that for Abby and Sarah... and if my sister ever has a daughter, I will offer it to her (she bought it for A's baptism.)  But I want it kept in my family, immediate only.  It's why I didn't offer it to SIL... I want it to be used by immediate familiy AND by people who will "get" the religious significance and meaning, as well.  Not just becasue it's a pretty shawl/dress.

• Options
    I don't think you are wrong at all. I think your parents will get over it b/c I think they are kind of in shock that you would say no in the first place. I hope they realize how precious this is to you. I wouldnt even lend out my wedding glasses or cake cutters b/c those things are special to me. I dont understand why you would get ask for your mantilla for a shoulder wrap to begin with but whatever.
  • Options

In her defense , it isn't usually cold in February here, thelast weekend of February is actually the most popular wedding weekend in south Florida because the weather is usually beautiful! I got married outdoors and wasn't cold at all.

Anyway, can you just say it's stored somewhere and you have no idea where ( in some box somewhere) and there is no guarantee that you will be able to find it? That way it seems you wanted to help but really couldnt?

• Options

I don't think you're overreacting. My response would have been something between a "ni pinga" and a " HELL no"

Grandma things mean a lot to me and the only person who would ever touch anything my grandma made me is my daughter. Period. End of discussion. You don't like it? too effin bad :) Thank you, have a nice day!

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options
    I agree with Justine. My words wouldn't have been so nice, but that's just me. I don't have any problem telling anyone Hell to the NO. And the fact that she isn't the actual cousin blows my mind. Tell her to buy a curtain and bedazzle that bad boy!!!
  • Options
    imageMrs.HisOnly:

I don't think you're overreacting. My response would have been something between a "ni pinga" and a " HELL no"

Grandma things mean a lot to me and the only person who would ever touch anything my grandma made me is my daughter. Period. End of discussion. You don't like it? too effin bad :) Thank you, have a nice day!

this ALL the way!! aside from the fact that she rubbed me the wrong way, giving me death stares and a snubbed nose, I think it's insane that you're being asked to give your mantilla and allow it to be used as a shawl! it isn't a shawl. I could see if you had a shawl and she wanted to borrow that but 1. she hasn't even asked you and 2. it isn't an article of clothing. lastly, if she spent 2 grand on a dress, she can for sure find some place to buy a little jacket. 

you're too nice, or I'm far to much of a b*tc* because if I were 9 months pregnant and this happened to me, I would have told everyone they were out of their minds and a ton of other un-board friendly words. :o) and damn, I had a good day today, so that's my opinion when I'm UNcranky. LOL  

• Options

You are 100% right! If you don't want to lend it out, that is up to you. Let her get her own!

And I'm lol'ing at the all you can eat Shorty's BBQ buffet!! Ay yi yi... 

• Options
    imageANJ410:

You are 100% right! If you don't want to lend it out, that is up to you. Let her get her own!

And I'm lol'ing at the all you can eat Shorty's BBQ buffet!! Ay yi yi... 

This!

• Options

I think you are overreacting.  I haven't read past the OP, so I don't know if there is more to the story, but you asked, and I answered.

Tania

• Options
    Wow, now that I've read the replies, I find that I am the odd man (woman) out.  For the record, I used my mom's mantilla for my wedding, it was very special to me, I designed my wedding dress around it, and it's even more special now that my mom is dead, but if I were in your place, I would give it up.  It's just a thing.  These people are your family or soon to be family.  People are more important than things.  Period.
  • Options

imagetaxbride:
    Wow, now that I've read the replies, I find that I am the odd man (woman) out.  For the record, I used my mom's mantilla for my wedding, it was very special to me, I designed my wedding dress around it, and it's even more special now that my mom is dead, but if I were in your place, I would give it up.  It's just a thing.  These people are your family or soon to be family.  People are more important than things.  Period.

Tania, did you use your mom's mantilla as a mantilla?

• Options
    imageMrs.HisOnly:

UMMMM, this. WTF? It's your freaking handmade mantilla that you used at your wedding. That's such a special, symbolic thing. It's not a pretty fashion statement or something used to stay warm. It was part of a religious ceremony. No way. It's crazy that they would even think to ask. Tell her to go buy a pretty $10 pashmina at the Mart.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"