Working Moms
Options

how do you and DH balance responsibilities?

We both have high stress corporate positions that require him to work long hours and me to travel a few times a month.  I feel like when I am home I am doing the morning routine, drop off, pick up, dinner, bath and bed at least 4 days a week solo.  I am away maybe 2 or 3 nights total in the month and he does it all solo.  In addition to the childcare, I take care of the house 95% (I refuse to take the garbage barrels out to the curb ;)) all the meal prep, laudry and shopping.  When I'm not here things fall apart- no milk, cereal for dinner etc....

I want to address with him that my job is just as important and that while I adore our child I feel like he's not pitching in as much as I need him to be so I feel it's balanced.  I just know if I say something he's going to be so sensative and say that he has to put the extra time in at work to make money. So in the end I suffer for saying anything.....

Anybody else struggle with finding the right balance?

Re: how do you and DH balance responsibilities?

• Options

I can't imagine doing all of that by myself.  I SAH for 14 mo's and then went back to work and my DH got a rude awakening.  First, I hired someone to clean my house and it is WORTH EVERY CENT!  I told DH that was not negotiable when I returned to work (eventhough he was reluctant...he's pleased we have that service now).  I delegated to DH.  He is in charge of diapers (inventory and purchasing), drop off to DC in the morning, yard work, garbage, laundry (yes...he does all of the laundry) on a regular basis.  He also helps with dr appointments and we share sick days.  He also helps run erronds on Saturday morning and schedules DS's haircuts. 

I have just found that sometimes you have to manage your husband like you manage a project at work (I also work in corporate america).  I delegate and give him timelines/reminders.  I explained that we have to share the responsibilities or we both can't work full time.  It was rough at first in the transition, but now it's great.  I also had to realize that I had to let go of having things done my way...as long as he gets the job done, I need to be OK with it.  Yes - he has made some boo boos....(he has come home with the wrong diapers a few times), but he learns and does it better moving forward.  I would try to pick jobs you know that DH would be able to do easier to avoid resistance.  Make a list of all the things that need to be done each week/month and have DH pick some he can do.  Eventhough my DH helps, I still feel like I do more.....oh well.  It will never be "even" but I feel more sane with him sharing the responsibilities with me. 

Good luck!

• Options
    I agree with pp.  Delegating to DH is very important.  Not b/c he won't do it, he just needs very specific instruction.  I am more then happy to provide that!  In the evenings that he gets home before me (about 2 nights a week) out meal plan is desgined for something he can either start to prep for me, make on the grill, or is a crock pot meal.  The after dinner, I give DD her bath, and pick up the house while he cleans the kitchens, and packs out lunches for the next day.  He is also in charge of garbage, all laundry (sorting, doing, folding, and putting away).  We are actually about to hire someone to start cleaning our house 2x's a month, and I am so excited!  That should free up alot of my time on the weekends doing all the deep cleaning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Personally I find the best way to get my husband to do more is to ask for specific things for him to do and then praise him for being a really helpful husband.  If I tell him he's not pitching in, he gets defensive and upset.  We are similar- I work in a corporate job and I make more money, but my department is pretty flexible, my husband gets used to me being around to do everything.  I recently decided I don't cook during the week - I can't get his help cooking and I just can't do it after work, so I just make enough Sunday to reheat.  And I always get all the kids stuff ready - I know if I asked he would do it, but I just don't feel like asking.  We had a conversation about me feeling like I do everything and he told me to ask for help, so now when I need it, that's what I do.

Either way, it's very hard to find balance, so you just do the  best you can.

• Options
    imageNYBoston05:
    Anybody else struggle with finding the right balance?

Yes.

Right now I would honestly say I do at least 90% of the household chores. And no, I don't have a solution yet.
  • Options
    It took us a long to figure it all out and part of that was me spelling it all out for him as he honestly had no idea all of what I do.  I HATE cooking and DH loves it so he does most of the cooking and online grocery stuff, he does most of the outside stuff like shoveling the snow, mowing the grass and I do most of the inside cleaning and laundry.  As far as the kids, logistical it makes sense for me to drop off and pick up due to where our offices are vs daycare.  That will change some next year when older DD starts Pre-K at the elementary and younger DD is still at preschool - we will have 2 years with 2 different places and for the most part, we will each do 1 child for drop off but I will most likely pick up both so DH can get home and get dinner started.  It will vary some though depending on schedules and stuff like that.  We both do baths, help with morning and bedtime stuff, we take turns in the morning on who gets up first, gets ready and then get the kids moving.  We each have 2 days a week and rotate on the 3rd.  Same with taking the kids to activities - we rotate.  I think we finally have a really good balance going.  I think it helps that the kids are getting older (2 and 3 months shy of 4) and my older can do a ton of stuff herself now.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"