Special Needs

If you have filled out or are familiar w/ Vineland,

I am having difficulty with answering a few questions and would love some insight. My DD is 27 months old

On the Vineland:

Follows instructions requiring an action and an object. If I ask my 27mo to get her white shoes and bring them to me, this counts, correct? If I ask her to pick up her bunny that fell on the floor...this sort of thing?

Says at least 100 recognizable words. They are recognizable to DH and I and her caretaker. She has a definite articulation issue which makes her hard to understand to most people. So, if her vocab is easily 100 words BUT she is hard to understand, do I answer yes to this?

Follows instructions in "if-then" form. How would I answer this for a 27 mo? How would I even approach DD to see if she can do this? Any examples would be helpful!

Thank you

Re: If you have filled out or are familiar w/ Vineland,

• I have. Some questions aren't going to apply perfectly... 

A. I think the answer is yes. What you said about shoes is actually a 2-step direction, and there is definitely an action AND an object.

B. I dont know, but I *think* recognizable words need to be at least partially recognizable to someone other than yourself. And does she use 100 words for the same object time and time again, "Bed" means a bed all the time. Instead of 'Bed' for a ball or a truck or a dress.

C.  At 27 months I would expect you could say, "If you get on your bed, Then I will give you your paci" (i just told my 26 mo old this and she did it) or "Go get in your chair and then you can eat lunch". I don't think it's necessary that you use the IF and THEN words... but maybe I'm wrong. 

HTH. I didnt get to fill mine out. The observing psych at our IEP observations filled it out and that annoyed me greatly. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She definitely uses words appropriately. Bed is bed. Ball is ball, etc. She did bite her pretzel into an arch this afternoon and called it a rainbow, but I think that's clever :)

She also will do the "if you ____, I will give you _____". So, yay. That's good!

The articulation is the stickler. She is becoming more and more understood by outsiders, but still only about 30%. Yet, she knows enough words to say 3 or 4 word sentences and communicate fairly well.  She has problems closing sounds. Up is ah, ball is baw, snack is neah, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • I would have NEVER thought to ask those questions to the person scoring it b/c I am always just too afraid I am over-thinking. So, I actually like that response better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a call in to the Doctor, but I do appreciate the responses here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"