South Florida Babies

Daycare Question

Hi ladies!

So I just got home from a job interview and it went really well. I should know this afternoon if I got the job. ::Crossing my fingers::

I'm still going back and forth on this daycare thing. Do you guys have your LO in daycare near your house or near your job?

I live in Miramar and would be working in Miami. (Yes that sucks and the only part I don't like about this job, but I desperately need a job). I'm debating if I should put my LO in a daycare near my job or house. I wanted other opinions. I'm afraid with the Miami traffic that I might not make it back in time to pick up my DS if he goes to daycare by the house.

Also, does anyone have any daycare recommendations near UM?

Re: Daycare Question

• IMO, I'd have child in daycare near work, that way you can interact w/ child during commute... more mommy and me time.  Also, like you said, if you run late at work, or if there is loads of traffic on the way back, then you have daycare near you and already have child.

As for recs near UM, Canterbery I've heard is amazing.  It is on campus.  However it is $$ and I believe may have a wait.  I've also heard great things from Kendal United Methodist off of Us1 and 104ST.  A family friend had their son there and was happy.  And niece was there for summer camp, and I know SIL was pleased with them.  It is a bit further south than UM, but not sure excacly where job is located.

I believe Jen also had a rec near there.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Oh, and GOOD LUCK w/ the job!  ::crossing fingers::
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks hun! I didn't even know UM had a daycare on site. The job is actually at UM so that would be PERFECT!! I will look into the other place as well. Thanks so much.
  • I used to work for UM, 2x, and LOVED It!  Hope you get it.  The benefits are amazing.  If I may ask, what dept?

Canterbery is located off of Stanford Dr (the main entrance to the University) by the Writing Ctr)

-- Jackie
  • I just sent you a PM with the info. :)
  • I called Kendall United Methodist, but they only accept 2 yrs and older. :(
  • I do know that Canterbury has a long long wait because my SIL works in UM and she is on the wait list. Her daughter goes to Sunset Academy on 7530 Southwest 72nd Street. It is not that far from UM. You might want to check them out. The phone number is 305-661-8095. 

• I'm not sure if you had a chance to check a few places out yet as you might get a feeling towards one place or another and just know which one is the best.

I don't send DD to a daycare by work or close to my house (and we have literally 2 places really close to our house).  She goes to the place that I got the warm fuzzy feeling from and it's close to my mom and MIL for pick-up. 

In your case, if there is a chance you can't make it home in time then start looking close to your job.  Good Luck!          

• Darn I did the same thing as Jackie.

I meant to also say good luck with the job. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. UM is a great place to work for not to mention they have great benefits.

• I just called Canterbury but they don't have enrollment until June, so that won't work. :(

I'm going to try Sunset Academy now, thanks for the info.

Thank you!

• Haleakala- I have looked into a few places. I'm pretty open as far as the areas, I just want to make sure like you said that it's the right place. I don't want to have to drop him off and stay worried. I don't have family down here, so it's really just up to my DH and I to pick our son up & drop him off. My DH goes out of town for work a lot, so most of the time it'll be just me doing it all so that's why I thought maybe somewhere close to work would be easier.

Thanks for all the well wishes on the job. :)

• imageSheyandBeau:
    I just sent you a PM with the info. :)

Got it and tried responding, but the Nest Gods aren't letting me reply.  Nothing too imp, just more job wishes!

-- Jackie
  • Thanks so much! I should know by the end of the day. Ugh I HATE waiting... If it's meant to be it'll be, if not then maybe God has something else planned for me. I'm not having much luck with the daycares, everywhere I call is 2 and over...
  • imageSheyandBeau:
    Thanks so much! I should know by the end of the day. Ugh I HATE waiting... If it's meant to be it'll be, if not then maybe God has something else planned for me. I'm not having much luck with the daycares, everywhere I call is 2 and over...

No daycare advice, but I wanted to say good luck! Hope you get the job! And I also hope you find the perfect daycare :)

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I tried Canterbury and they said unless you go there, it's nearly impossible. I also had the dean and president (donna shalala) call for me and still couldn't get me in!

DD goes to Granada Presbyterian which isn't too far from UM (Bird and Granada)...she's been there since 12 week and we both LOVE it! She will not go to anyone other than me (including my mom, MIL and even sometimes DH), but always puts her arms out and leans to her teachers! In her class right now, there are 5 babies and 2-3 teachers (sometimes 2, sometimes 3)...good ratio!

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks Eli!

g8orell- Thanks so much for the info. I will call Granada tomorrow and see if they have space. Your baby is gorgeous by the way!

• Just sent you a PM.
  • Got it! Thanks so much for the info. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"