Preemies
Options

Newbie here...

Hi all, I have been stalking the board for the past few days and decided to post since you all seem like such warm, supportive women!

My DS, Owen, was born on Feb. 5th at 35w, 3d due to acute polyhydramnios (excessive amniotic fluid - normal is around 15cm and I had 43 - off the charts)... He was 6lbs., 5oz. and 19 1/2 inches (quite the big guy for his GA!), but was born with severe RDS and ended up developing a pneumothorax on day two...  He went from CPAP to a respirator, to being transferred because our hospital just didn't have the facilities to handle his numerous issues.  He stopped breathing three times despite the respirator and that was why he was transferred...  They thought they detected neuro issues of an undetermined nature, but couldn't figure out what it was exactly.  About a week after he was born, when they were able to take him off the respirator and the chest tube was removed, he was transferred back to our local hospital where they did an MRI and EEG (we are still trying to get to the bottom of why the other facility didn't do a neuro consult), and right when my DH and I had allowed ourselves to let our emotional guard down and believe he might be just fine, we found out that Owen had a stroke in utero and he was seizing those first couple of days which was causing the complications  with the respiratory issues he already had.  We were absolutely crushed.  The Pediatric neurologist told us that it's in the left side of his brain in the motor skills area...  We won't know the full implications of the stroke until he's almost at his first birthday based on him hitting developmental milestones, but for now, he looks good.  He also automatically qualifies for EI through our state and will definitely get OT and PT services ASAP.

Owen spent fifteen days in the NICUs, and he came home on Saturday...  We are so lucky to have him home, and so petrified too.  He's not my first (I have a seventeen month-old DD as well), but this is......different.

I look forward to getting to know you and sharing any knowledge, advice, or support I can.  Thanks for reading my little guy's story...

Re: Newbie here...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"