Preemies
Options

Hi ladies

I realize that you are all super busy mamas.  But I was wondering if anyone would share thier BFing story from a preemie mom's POV.  Check out the link in my siggy for more info!  Thanks!

Re: Hi ladies

• Options

I'll post something after work. I am already running late...but I would happy to do it. What a great idea. I look forward to reading other's stories.

• Options

DS had RDS when he was born, so he was on a vent for the first 5 days and I didn't get to hold him til he came off of it. We started with bottles first and then on day 7 I was allowed to try a non-nutritive BF (after pumping). I didn't push bfing at the hospital even though I knew I wanted to BF. My goal was to make sure he was meeting whatever goals they had set and getting him home ASAP. I figured we'd figure out bfing at home, where I could do it on demand. He took 9 days to learn the bottle with me doing bfing once a day (they'd feed him via NG tube afterward). In the final two days, we actually had an attending doc who was SUPER pro-bfing and told me to just put him to breast whenever and that he wasn't worried anymore about documenting in/out amounts.

We started working on it right away when he got home. I'd try bfing, and he'd latch but lack stamina, so after he stopped sucking, I'd give him a bottle of breast milk to top him off and then pump. I did this for most feeds except at night when I'd just give him bottled breast milk (Too hard to try bfing at night when I was so tired and we didn't know what we were doing). It was incredibly messy bc he'd pull off all the time or pass out after 1 minute. We had to use a nipple shield for one side that he had trouble latching on. After 2 weeks, I didn't need to offer a bottle after bfing at all. After 4 more weeks, we didn't need the nipple shield either. We've been all breast milk since the day my milk came in, and I'm very proud of it. I think it's super hard but if you're determined and just refuse to give up when you hit hurdles/setbacks, it's so worth it in the end. We're trying to go to 1 year, depending on if I can keep pumping enough while I"m at work (having a little supply issues since I returned two months ago). When we get to a year, I'll decide if I want to wean all together or just cut back.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageAt1stsight:

DS had RDS when he was born, so he was on a vent for the first 5 days and I didn't get to hold him til he came off of it. We started with bottles first and then on day 7 I was allowed to try a non-nutritive BF (after pumping). I didn't push bfing at the hospital even though I knew I wanted to BF. My goal was to make sure he was meeting whatever goals they had set and getting him home ASAP. I figured we'd figure out bfing at home, where I could do it on demand. He took 9 days to learn the bottle with me doing bfing once a day (they'd feed him via NG tube afterward). In the final two days, we actually had an attending doc who was SUPER pro-bfing and told me to just put him to breast whenever and that he wasn't worried anymore about documenting in/out amounts.

We started working on it right away when he got home. I'd try bfing, and he'd latch but lack stamina, so after he stopped sucking, I'd give him a bottle of breast milk to top him off and then pump. I did this for most feeds except at night when I'd just give him bottled breast milk (Too hard to try bfing at night when I was so tired and we didn't know what we were doing). It was incredibly messy bc he'd pull off all the time or pass out after 1 minute. We had to use a nipple shield for one side that he had trouble latching on. After 2 weeks, I didn't need to offer a bottle after bfing at all. After 4 more weeks, we didn't need the nipple shield either. We've been all breast milk since the day my milk came in, and I'm very proud of it. I think it's super hard but if you're determined and just refuse to give up when you hit hurdles/setbacks, it's so worth it in the end. We're trying to go to 1 year, depending on if I can keep pumping enough while I"m at work (having a little supply issues since I returned two months ago). When we get to a year, I'll decide if I want to wean all together or just cut back.

Thank you for sharing - do you want me to post this as is on the blog?  The only thing I would change would be the abreviations bc not all readers are bumpies ;)  Or if you want you can send it to me at the email address in the blog.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"