LGBT Parenting
Options

Resources?

Hello!

A few days ago I received wonderful news, a good friend of mine told me she would be trying to have a baby with her partner. They live in PA, and I was wondering if any of you have any resources that were particularly helpful to you (aside from this board).

TIA!

Re: Resources?

• Options

Well if they haven't already done so I would start with these steps:

1) Talk about what type of conception they would like. At home? With a midwife? With an OB or RE?  Do they want to stay natural or are they open to using fertility drugs? If natural, how many tried would they like to do before moving on to a different approach? Etc, etc.

2) Check to see what insurance will/won't cover.  This may determine what path they want to take.

3) Do they want a known donor or unknown? If it's a friend then they should start with having him go through a physical work up.  If they are going to buy sperm from a bank they can start searching online for their 'ideal donor'.

Mrs._F always provides a great list of books so if she doesn't respond to this post scroll through older ones and look for her list.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    heather you have a pm
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I always recommend the same two books because they are the only ones of their kind that I know of, and my wife and I found them to be very helpful both when we were just starting to plan for TTC and when we were actually in it.  One is written by Rachel Pepper, the other by Stephanie Brill and they both have titles like "Complete/Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy/TTC for Lesbians" (I forget the exact titles - just enter the author name into borders or amazon.com or whatever and they will come up).

Each of those books is fairly comprehensive in detailing the different ways for lesbian couples to TTC and all the nuts and bolts along the way.  IMO, they are a really great place to start.

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"