Preemies

When did your milk come in?

I'm hoping to make it to 35 weeks & will have a c-section (complete previa) I was wondering if my milk will still come in on it's own? I'm also wondering when you started pumping if your babies were unable to nurse due to size/complications? Thanks in advance!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When did your milk come in?

• My son was born at 26w and my milk came in very quickly considering that.. I was getting droplets the 2nd day post birth. I started pumping about 6 hours after he was born.

Robbie did nurse a little, but he had feeding issues and we were never able to BF full term. But there's a huge difference between 26 and 35 weekers.. I think you have a great chance of being able to pull it off. 

• LO was born on a Thursday, I got some colostrum for a while and then my milk officially came in on Tuesday night.  I had her vaginally but your milk should still come in even with a c-section.  You should start pumping after birth to help your milk come in.. if you are worried about it ask to talk to a Lactation Consultant (at the hospital) and they will help.  I think I pumped for the first time a few hours after she was born.  I didn't get much, but when my milk did come in later, it was pretty obvious.  

BTW, I just noticed you are in Pleasanton.  I grew up there and went to Amador.  

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies!

MrsDeLaVara: That's so cool that you grew up in Pleasanton! I actually grew up in San Jose but have lived in Pleasanton for 5 years. I love it here. Do you still live in the area?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD was born at 29 weeks and I also had a c-section.  I don't remember exactly how many days it took but I was in the hospital for 5 days after I had her and it had come in a day or two before I went home.  Also, I wasn't very good about pumping for the first two days after I had her since I was still pretty sick (probably pumped maybe 4 times those first two days) and I was still able to end up with a good supply. (although I wouldn't recommend that kind of a pumping schedule...just how things ended up for us)

DD didn't get to try to eat any by mouth, bottle or breast, until she was about 5 weeks old because she wasn't gestationally old enough and was on CPAP until then.  We ended up doing mostly bottles and she never really got the hang of breastfeeding so I pumped until she was 4 months old. 

• It took me about 4 days to get milk. Good luck and hope all goes well for you.
  • I had a c-section at 33w4d due to partial previa. My milk came in after 2 days. I wasn't very good about pumping the first day but after that I pumped every 2.5-3 hours. I ended up pumping so much that the NICU asked me not to bring anymore milk to the hospital. 

When DD was 7 days old they let me attempt to nurse her. Well, much to everyone's surprise (because she had no clue with to do with a pacifier) she latched on for 10 minutes. When I wasn't able to be at the NICU (at night, some during the day due to older DD) they fed her my pumped milk through her feeding tube and I nursed her all other times that I was there. She left the NICU nursing full-time when she was 11 days old.

I would ask to speak to a lactation consultant as soon as you can. They will be able to give you good advice. If you want to be able to nurse as much as possible, tell that to every single NICU nurse that is assigned to your LO's care. Sometimes that may not get passed on!

Good luck!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My milk started to come in pretty quickly after delivery and seemed to be fully in within a week.  DD started nursing attempts around 10 days (I think?), so I was EPing for the most part and continue to do so since introducing the bottle in the NICU undermined our BFing efforts.  GL!
  • Your milk will still come in - it's linked to hormones that will be released. Pumping early will really help. I waited until 18 hours after DS was born to pump (bc God knows, I was stressed and then exhausted and this was the last thing on my mind), but I had a vaginal delivery and my milk still came in on day 4/5. My advice is to pump as soon after as you can and are comfortable doing. This mimics bfing shortly after baby's born and should help ensure your milk arrives in the normal time frame (between day 3-7 usually).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"