Alabama Babies

Need Help with Baby Shower Planning Please!

I am planning a baby shower for my best friend.  She has 2 little boys already and this baby will be her first girl.  She and her husband wanted a girl SO, SO bad this time and are so excited!  She wants everything about this shower to be very girly.  Since she has all the basic needed baby items from her first 2, she was thinking that having a "fashion show" theme would be cute where everyone just brings clothes for the baby.  I love the idea, but I've never been to a shower like that and I'm a little stumped as to how to word the invitation.  We are actually doing an Evite (per her request) so I will have the space to get more detailed.  I was thinking it may be good to specify which sizes of clothing for which seasons.  The baby is due in July (the shower will be May 1).  She said she really doesn't want any NB or 0-3 size clothing, so I thought maybe I should put something like:
3-6 mths Fall/Winter
6-9 mths  Winter
9-12 mnths Spring
What do y'all think about that idea?  More importantly, can you think of any cute poems or sayings that would be fitting for the Evite to explain or go along with the fashion show theme?  Any other ideas or suggestions for the actual shower...decor, games, food, etc. that would fit the theme?  TIA!

Re: Need Help with Baby Shower Planning Please!

• I'd have to think of ideas for a little while, but wanted to say that sounds like a really cute theme! 
  • Not sure how you'd word the invite - 

(Little Girl) can't wear blue,

so pink will have to do!

Let's help fill ______'s closet with ribbons & bows,

A wardrobe full of girly clothes!

I'd also add something about needing basics - diapers, wipes, bath stuff, etc

Also - I'd try to steer clear from the "DIVA" - "FASHION" etc - all of that screams Hot Pink & Black feathered Onesies with Princess and Diva written all over it - Ick.

• Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't go with a 'fashion show' theme - sort of screams feathers - like I said before

What if you do like a "trunk sale" type of thing -where people don't wrap the gift - but you put it out on display.  she wouldn't open gifts, but you could serve "tea" type appetizers and everyone can look at all the cute stuff??? 

• imagesdkrlm:

I wouldn't go with a 'fashion show' theme - sort of screams feathers - like I said before

What if you do like a "trunk sale" type of thing -where people don't wrap the gift - but you put it out on display.  she wouldn't open gifts, but you could serve "tea" type appetizers and everyone can look at all the cute stuff??? 

I really like both of Sarah's ideas! I have also seen where you hang a clothes line across one wall and pin outfits to it. It is a decoration and gift. Super cute too! Good luck!

DD born 8/24/07
    TTC #2 since 4/09
    Unexplained Secondary IF
    4 failed rounds of clomid ~ 4 failed IUIs ~ 1 m/c
    2/3/11: IUI #5 - Femara/Follistim/Ovidrel/Crinone = BFP (2/14)!!!
    Beta #1 (12dpiui): 53 Beta #2 (14dpiui): 203 Beta #3 (20dpiui): 3932 Beta #4 (28dpiui): 60,775
    1st U/S (3/3): 2 sacs & yolks 2nd U/S (3/8) 2 heartbeats-TWINS!
    Baby A:6w6d HR 131 Baby B:6w4d HR 124
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    TWINS!! EDD 10/25/2011
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • the clothes  line would be cute if you had a garden party theme - and it was outside!
  • Love that poem!  I may just use it!  Thanks ;-)

And, I agree that "fashion show" could definitely turn into something we don't want!  LOL!

I thought about the clothesline idea too.  It's really cute.  I doubt we'll have the party outside though...just in case it were to rain...but I still think it could be cute to do inside.

I'm definitely gonna run these ideas by the girl who is hosting with me (it'll be at her house) and see what she thinks. 

Thanks for the ideas...keep 'em coming!

• What about the idea of stating the seasons for the clothing sizes?  Would that turn you off if you were to receive an invite with that on it....like maybe it's being too specific or like we think you are too dumb to figure it out?  LOL!  Or, would you appreciate having that info for shopping purposes?  I know I always try to think about seasons for sizes when I'm buying someone baby clothes and she just doesn't want to end up with a ton of NB clothes or clothes that the baby won't be able to wear b/c they are the wrong season.
  • If I buy clothes for a LO I usually find out when they are due to try to figure out what season they will need.

I know it might be a little tacky, but along with my shower invites the hostesses inserted a separate card that posted where I was registered and a little side note that said something about the baby is expected to be large, so no premie/newborn sizes please. (K ended up being a lot smaller than expected, but oh well.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• I think it is a cute idea to do a clothing theme.  I probably wouldn't specify sizes....you really NEVER know what size kiddos will wear in a certain season. 

You could tell people in person (definitely don't put on the invitation) to consider including gift receipts in case the outfits are the wrong size.  That's just an idea...you would know if this would be appropriate in your circle of friends.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't put on the invitation that she wants just clothes or put the size/season (I think most women shop for general size/season if they buy clothes).

I would just not put anything on the invite about a registry and then when people Rsvp, if they ask you where she is registered, you can tell them verbally she really needs clothes.  But that's just me, I don't know why but something about specifying one type of gift just feels weird/wrong to me.

No ideas for decor or anything, but I'm sure you will come up with something fabulous!  Sarah M's ideas were great!

• I'm glad you liked my poem. 

If I have a boy next - I hope someone throws me a clothes shower :)

I was also thinking of something like "dressing thru the seasons"  and you could do sort of an all seasons theme

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"