North Carolina Babies

daycare / vacation question WWYD

We use a home daycare. (Somebody else's house, where they keep a few kids.) We pay them a set amount weekly. Lately she's been there all day on weekdays, but soon I'll be switching to taking her part time. I'll still pay the same amount each week.?

We'll be out of town for a week in March. Do I need to just pay them for that whole week anyway, or should I ask for a discount or something? How does that usually work?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: daycare / vacation question WWYD

• At our DC we get 2 weeks per year of credit for vacations, as long as we take the full week and provide at least 2 weeks of notice. I think that is pretty rare though from what I found when we were shopping around for childcare. You may just want to ask your provider about it and see what they say. Maybe if they don't let you out of the whole week you can go half price or something. It can't hurt to ask!
  • We get 1 week "free" with a 2 week notice.  We pay the same amount for holidays even if she is off. Like Thanksgiving she only works 3 days I pay for the whole week.
  • Loading the player...
  • 'round here, most centers don't offer any kind of vacation.  You pay for 52 weeks regardless of how often you're there.  As far as in-home centers, that's normally something that's worked out beforehand.  So I'd talk to her about it now and come to some sort of agreement. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We do a nanny share with two other families which I almost feel is like an in home daycare (she normally has three-four kids at a time). I pay her the full amount every week regardless if my child is sick, we are on vacation, etc. But we established this when we set it up, did she not discuss vacation time with you when you first started? I would assume you would need to pay her for the whole week, but like MrsN said, it never hurts to ask.
  • imagemrsNnearly:
    At our DC we get 2 weeks per year of credit for vacations, as long as we take the full week and provide at least 2 weeks of notice. I think that is pretty rare though from what I found when we were shopping around for childcare. You may just want to ask your provider about it and see what they say. Maybe if they don't let you out of the whole week you can go half price or something. It can't hurt to ask!

Our daycare does this exactly. I would talk to her and see if you can work something out. Like mrsNnearly says - it doesn't hurt to ask!

• We get week free after being with our in-home for a year.  When we went on vacation last month we had to pay for the whole week!  I'd ask and see what she offers!
  • imagesurfnsandbride:
    We get week free after being with our in-home for a year.  When we went on vacation last month we had to pay for the whole week!  I'd ask and see what she offers!

It does stink, our nanny had just started with us when we went on vacation, I really hated paying her for the whole week (it was actually a week and two days) when she had only been working for us for two weeks. But it was part of our arrangement, so I couldn't complain (well, too much!)

• Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to hold off on asking and just pay it. We are broke as can be, but it's actually week after next that we'll be gone, and I should have talked to them about this before now. It would probably suck of me to ask for a discount now. I know they're counting on that money.?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"