Baby Showers
Options

Prebaby Bash instead of Shower WDYT?

My DH and I want to have a get together with our friends before we have LO but we don't have anyone to throw us an actual shower. We dicided in lieu of a shower we would invite our friends to a backyard baby-que (lol catchy huh?) and make sure the invites let our guests know that the only gift we want is their presence. Is this ok to do because as someone pointed out to me guests still might bring something and it may come across as throwing our own shower. What is your opinion?

Re: Prebaby Bash instead of Shower WDYT?

• Options
    I think as long as you mention no gifts and you say it's a party or bash instead of a shower...they'll get the idea.  Anyone who brings a gift will do so just because they really want to : )
  • Options

I think it is a great idea.  My husband and I did that before our wedding.  We had a "Last night out on the town" thing with all of our friends, but not a bachelor or bachelorette party or anything like that.

It is so hard to see your friends after the baby is born, I think it is great to have a GTG before.  But be prepared, some people will still bring a little gift. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sounds like fun.

?

• Options
    It's fine.  Have a great time!
  • Options

I think it is a great idea and you are telling people up front that it is just a party, no gifts.  If someone still wants to bring a gift, so be it.

Heather

• Options
    Sounds like a fun time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think that the idea is a great one, but I'd pass on the baby-que thing.  To me it makes it sound like a shower (focus on baby).  The "last night out" sounds more like you are celebrating your freedom one last time, therefore giving it a different flavor (ie, not baby focused)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I say go for it...and if someone still shows up with a gift, so be it...throwing a party is OK, hosting a shower to be showered with gifts is not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Options

I think throwing a baby-que is a super cute idea!

I don't think I'd really be specific about the "no-gifts" thing, I wouldn't automatically assume to bring a baby gift to a bbq, but if the host mentioned NOT to, then I might feel obligated to.. If that makes any sense at all

I would just say "we're hosting a pre-baby-que to get all of our friends together one last time before the baby arrives"

That doesn't sound like a shower to me, and I don't think gifts should be mentioned at all 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelisa5201:

I think throwing a baby-que is a super cute idea!

I don't think I'd really be specific about the "no-gifts" thing, I wouldn't automatically assume to bring a baby gift to a bbq, but if the host mentioned NOT to, then I might feel obligated to.. If that makes any sense at all

I would just say "we're hosting a pre-baby-que to get all of our friends together one last time before the baby arrives"

That doesn't sound like a shower to me, and I don't think gifts should be mentioned at all 

I like this response...emphasis on the party with friends, which doesn't imply an occasion (having a baby) that people feel obligated to bring a gift to.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"