Special Needs

Vent

Hi, I've only posted a handful of times but I need to vent..

I have a five month old with Spina Bifida. He has been running a fever, diarrha etc. His normal pedi. wasnt in the office yesterday so we had to see another doctor. Once the random doctor read in the chart about Cameron's SB he automatically assumed that this sickness was related. He spent like 30 minutes looking a Cameron's back and kept saying  "30 years of medicine and I've never seen anything like this before" WTF!? Then doesnt check anything else, hands me a cup to "catch" Cam's urine in... finally after about an hour of me waiting for Cam to do his thing, I call the doctor and he takes the sample and says that he's going to send it off to the lab writes a RX for a UTI medicine and sends us on our way.

When we got home I started thinking this could be a UTI, but it seems like just an everyday stomach bug that any baby could catch. I don't want to give him the UTI medicine until we get the lab results back....I don't want him getting immune to the RX. Needless to say I'm waiting on Cam's Regular Pedi. to call me back today.

Sorry that was long but I'm just annoyed. I feel like he just brushed off my concerns and he knew he could get away with it because I'm a new/young Mom.  I just made a promise to my son and myself that will never agin be such a push over when it comes to his health/well being.  

Thank you for listening! Smile

Re: Vent

• Hugs. It is hard when you feel like your baby is someone else's "fascination for the day"

If UTI's are common for SB babies, at least he did the right thing instead of treating it like an 'everyday stomach bug'. Did you want him to treat it like an everyday stomach bug? You went to the Dr's for a purpose right?

I agree that, unless DS is super uncomfortable, it it good to wait until you get confirmation before starting the meds.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• imageAssembly_Reqd:

Hugs. It is hard when you feel like your baby is someone else's "fascination for the day"

If UTI's are common for SB babies, at least he did the right thing instead of treating it like an 'everyday stomach bug'. Did you want him to treat it like an everyday stomach bug? You went to the Dr's for a purpose right?

I agree that, unless DS is super uncomfortable, it it good to wait until you get confirmation before starting the meds.

I would have liked if he had checked for other things. It's like he automactically assumed it was a UTI. He has had a UTI before but the only symtom was a fever. I don't know I guess he did the right thing. I just want to make sure that DS gets the best care possible and I just didn't feel comfortable with the doctor yesterday.

• Loading the player...
  • Don't you just love the attitude - 30 years in medicine and he is God!

Ugh. Hope your LO gets better soon. As for advice, I always bring a pad and paper and write everything down and ask questions ad nauseam: what makes you think it is UTI, dr? Are his blood cells levels elevated in the urine test? how much? what else could it be? how is his billirubin level? what does that mean?

It actually may make some doctors stop to think for a sec.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"