Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Are there non adhesive band-aids?

DD has an allergy to band-aids. I just discovered this today.

I have the same allergy as well and I have to have my leg falling off before I will put anything on a cut. I never shop for band-aids and just use what is in the first aid kit in our house so I have no clue.

I haven't been to the store yet, but, do they make such a thing?

PS. I know about paper tape. I am specifically talking about actual band-aids that don't use the adhesive.

tia!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Are there non adhesive band-aids?

• What about liquid bandages? Although I think that it stings when you put it on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it would be helpful to know which specific adhesive you/he has the allergy to, and look around for something that uses a different one?
    Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKateysomething:
    I think it would be helpful to know which specific adhesive you/he has the allergy to, and look around for something that uses a different one?

Unfortunately, I have no clue what adhesive it is. DD got her shots at the pedi and they gave her a Strawberry Short Cake band-aid... well 3 of them. I took them off before her bath last night and the red marks from the band-aid remains. I mean, it is to the point where the little dots for helping the wound breath are evident.

• I also have an adhesive allergy. I get "band-aid burn."  You can buy hypo-allergenic band-aids.  Honestly, they don't stick very well and fall off fairly easily but they work initally.  You absolutely can't get them wet.  I also go with the is my arm going to fall off without a band-aid route too. 

ETA:   Make sure you let her doc know in the future.  I have to let everyone know.  I had to make them go find paper tape when I had DS to hold my IV.  I'm also allergic to Neosporin.  I have to use polysporin. 

• imageajanes:
    I also have an adhesive allergy. I get "band-aid burn."  You can buy hypo-allergenic band-aids.  Honestly, they don't stick very well and fall off fairly easily but they work initally.  You absolutely can't get them wet.  I also go with the is my arm going to fall off without a band-aid route too. 

It just sucks b/c I didn't "acquire" this allergy until I was out of my clutsy stage in life. DD hasn't even begun her clutzy stage.

I will look for the hypo-allergenic brand. 

I guess it could be worse though.

• Liquid bandage hurts like a mother! Is it the adhesive you guys are allergic to or the material of the band-aid?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemommyhd:
    Liquid bandage hurts like a mother! Is it the adhesive you guys are allergic to or the material of the band-aid?

For me, it's the adhesive. I have a horrible red rash on both sides of the cotton pad. Unless, it's the type of band-aid with antibiotic ointment on it.  Then often I'm allergic to that too.

• imageajanes:

I also have an adhesive allergy. I get "band-aid burn."  You can buy hypo-allergenic band-aids.  Honestly, they don't stick very well and fall off fairly easily but they work initally.  You absolutely can't get them wet.  I also go with the is my arm going to fall off without a band-aid route too. 

ETA:   Make sure you let her doc know in the future.  I have to let everyone know.  I had to make them go find paper tape when I had DS to hold my IV.  I'm also allergic to Neosporin.  I have to use polysporin. 

I called her Pedi and left a message on the advice line letting them know. I don't know what else to do at this point. Luckily, it was just a shot, so not a wound. It explains why she was ripping the band-aid off as soon as she had it put on. It was burning her!

I had the EXACT same issue when I delivered DD. I even had an allergy band ON MY FREAKING WRIST and they still used the adhesive tape. The head nurse in the room gave the IV lady a tongue lashing. LAME!

• imagemommyhd:
    Liquid bandage hurts like a mother! Is it the adhesive you guys are allergic to or the material of the band-aid?

It is the adhesive. If you put any adhesive on me, I turn bright red. It looks like a sunburn, but only where the adhesive was located.

You would think that DD had a band-aid print burned into her skin. I will take a picture and post it tonight if I can remember.

• I've always gotten red marks from my bandaids. I never thought twice about it, because it doesn't hurt, and goes away fairly quickly
    Rainbow baby due in September!
    .image
    May Siggy Challenge - Favorite Onscreen Mom
    image  image
  • imageKateysomething:
    I've always gotten red marks from my bandaids. I never thought twice about it, because it doesn't hurt, and goes away fairly quickly

DD has had the imprint on her leggies for ....20 hours now. I feel awful.

• imageKateysomething:
    I've always gotten red marks from my bandaids. I never thought twice about it, because it doesn't hurt, and goes away fairly quickly

Yep, band-aid burn. It stings for awhile.  It depends on how long I've had the band-aid on, what brand, and location how badly it hurts.  Sometimes it just itches really badly. Other times it burns.

• imageajanes:

Thank you for this info!  I didn't know there were any other options on the market.  I too avoid band-aids.  I had surgery a few weeks ago to have my appendix out and 2 of the 3 incisions have healed.  The one on my belly button got wet while I still had the dressing on from showering and isn't healing, so I still have to have it covered.  It's small enough that a band-aid covers it, so that's what I've had on it since my follow up last Wed.  My stomach is itching like crazy and is all red and bumpy.  Definitely going to the store for some hypo allergenic ones tonight.

When I had DD, my hand was so disgusting by the time I left the hospital from all the tape.  I tell everyone about my adhesive allergy at the hospital, and they basically tell me there's nothing they can do.  Glad to know there's another option.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"