Health & Exercise
Options

I'm a dancer, can I continue?

Hello all! First of alll, congratulations to everyone else who fnally got their BFP!

I am a ballet dancer, and I also do lyrical and jazz. I am 6 weeks pregnant and verrryyy tired. I want to stay healthy but also do not want to hurt the baby. Can I continue to dance, and if so for how long?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm a dancer, can I continue?

• Options
    My best friend just performed in a ballet this weekend, she is 21weeks.  She plans to continue dancing after this, but maybe a little less often.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am also a dancer (ballet and modern) due this April with my first. From my personal experience, it is safe to continue dancing. I remember being sooo tired in my first trimester, so I ended up scaling it back quite a bit and resuming more when the tiredness and m/s subsided in second trimester. One important note is to make sure that your heart rate does not get so high that your muscles feel overly fatigued and you should be able to speak while you are dancing, otherwise oxygen supply may be depleted to the baby.

Towards the end of the second trimester, it is best not to jump or have quick directions changes so that you do not fall or loosen the supporting ligaments that hold up baby!

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ps, I also performed at 17 weeks and felt great, so as long as you are comfortable you should be fine. Check with your doctor, though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"