D.C. Area Babies
Options

security gates- which ones are good?

DS is crawling and climbing on everything, so DH and I have finally decided to break down and purchase some security gates. I have found a relatively inexpensive gate from Safety 1st, but don't know how well they work. What gates do you have? Also, are there websites that have ratings for these types of things? I found eopinions, but there weren't that many reviews. TIA and happy Tuesday!

Re: security gates- which ones are good?

• Options
    I don't remember which one we have but for the top of the stairs you must have the kind that drills into the wall, it's not safe otherwise.
  • Options

Hey there. We got the Evenflo Top of the Stairs gate and we love it. I installed one at the top of both sets of stairs and they are very easy to install and they are very secure. I also like that you can easily pop the gate out. For example, my mom has had this gate installed at her house for about 8 years. When the grandchildren are not there, she stores it downstairs and then when we come to visit, you just pop it back in place.

The only thing you need to look at it is the configuration of where you plan to put it. When we put one at the top of our split staircase, I had to rig up a special system to install it. But I would've had to do that regardless of what type of gate I bought because there weren't two flush sides to mount it on.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We have the $$ KidCo ones - I think they're like $80 each.  Got them at Buy Buy Baby.  We have one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom.  Those things are sturdy as all get out, and they lock like Fort Knox.  Both are the kind you drill into the wall but we figured really, what's a few holes in your wall compared to a baby falling down the stairs (or falling while trying to climb the stairs from the bottom)? 

My mom found the same ones on Craigs List for $20 each.  She uses them at her house for her dogs.  I wish I'd thought to look on Craig's List.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"