Postpartum Depression

breastfeeding and PPD/PPA

Has anyone taken anything while breastfeeding?  I went to the dr for my anxiety and he did not want to prescribe me anything right away, he told me to talk to my friends and try to do some relaxing things first to see if that helped.  I think I held back to him on everything that is going on in my head thinking it would just go away.  But now it is hitting me full force and I don't know what to do.. I can't even describe how I feel.  I just want to run into a hole and hide...

Anyways, I was just wondering if you are BF what kind of meds are you taking?  Thanks!

Re: breastfeeding and PPD/PPA

• I have been on lexapro since a week after DD was born. DD is just now in the process of weaning.

You're doctor should not have blown you off like that. It makes me so angry when doctors do that. Obviously if you took the time to make an appointment to talk to him about it - it was a big deal. ugh. i would either try another doc, or go back. sometimes you just have to keep asking for help until you find the help you need. be persistent. you know how you are feeling isn't right.

good luck.

DD 4yo DS 1yo
  • I'm breastfeeding and on zoloft. My doctor said zoloft was the drug of choice while breastfeeding. And I can't believe he blew you off like that!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm breastfeeding and on zoloft and ativan.  Both are class B.  My provider was confortable with both of them.
    IMG_3932
  • Men just don't get it.  I would go back and/or find someone else.
  • i am on Zoloft and have been for about 6w now...the only thing it has done is help my sleeping...i still feel like garbage the rest of the day...You can definitely take something while bfing, you are just limited...feel free to PM me if you need to talk about anything. I have suffered for 10 years with depression/anxiety and have gone through 4 big episodes. I am also very OCD and manic, so I know about the wild things that go through your head! Its exhausting.  

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was on Lexapro and breastfed for 6 months with DD. She never had any issues with it.
  • I BFd my daughter on lexapro and all was well.

This time I started Paxil.

Zoloft os the one they usually rec first but I had an awful reaction to it.

I have heard that Zoloft and Paxil are the first 2 choices. Wellbutrin is often prescribed as well.  There is a study by Hale that categorizes the safety of many.  But, overall, there are many you can take.

GL

Michele

Mom to Skylar Kayla and Beck Dylan

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"