what do you do for childcare? — The Bump
Postpartum Depression

what do you do for childcare?

Hi ladies! I've been feeling down lately, and want to go talk to someone. I don't have any feelings about hurting DS or myself, so I was thinking about just going to see a psychologist  (I briefly saw one right after DH and I got married and I found it really helpful). What do you all do for childcare while you go to your appointments? My dad is retired and I think that he and his wife would be willing to watch DS, but that means that I would have to tell them why I need a sitter for an hour or so each week. I'm not sure that I feel comfortable doing that. What do you all do?

Re: what do you do for childcare?

• I had my parents watch ds - they knew why.

Please don't be ashamed - this happens to a lot of women. I'm sure your dad and his wife would understand. That being said, if you're not comfortable telling them right now, maybe tell them you're taking some sort of class or seminars for work?

• Loading the player...
  • Say you want to go to the gym or grocery shop or need some time to yourself? All valid reasons.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageGina418:

Please don't be ashamed - this happens to a lot of women. I'm sure your dad and his wife would understand.

I've been giving this a lot of thought, and you're right. There is nothing to be ashamed about. I just didn't want to answer a lot of questions or have them think that I'm not a perfect mother. But, I'm not a perfect mother, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't know if they'll understand, but I shouldn't be embarrassed to tell them. Thanks for making me see that.

• I have brought my son, since he is so young.
  • imagemrs.moo:
    imageGina418:

Please don't be ashamed - this happens to a lot of women. I'm sure your dad and his wife would understand.

I've been giving this a lot of thought, and you're right. There is nothing to be ashamed about. I just didn't want to answer a lot of questions or have them think that I'm not a perfect mother. But, I'm not a perfect mother, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't know if they'll understand, but I shouldn't be embarrassed to tell them. Thanks for making me see that.

Yes

We are have our own strengths and weaknesses - nothing to be embarrassed about! Good luck - and keep us posted!

• My counselor has evening appointments so I just leave DD home with DH. You might be able to find someone who has weekend or evening hours.

But you definitly don't have anything to be ashamed about. I know it can be hard and you risk being judged but I think that when women are willing to be open about our struggles we do a favor to every other woman who ever has or ever will have postpartum struggles. You are a strong smart mother for realizing that you need help and going to get it. Good job, momma. Be proud. :o)

best wishes.

DD 4yo DS 1yo
  • Thanks for all the support, ladies. Lurking on this board has really made me feel a lot more comfortable seeking help. It's nice to know that I'm not aloneSmile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards