1st Trimester

Decaf Tea???

I work next to a Starbucks and I'm in the mood for tea, decaf. But in my PG book I'm reading right now it says to be careful about drinking or using certain herbs.....

Do you know what herbs they are? Now I'm afraid to have a freakin' decaf tea! haha

TIA! =) 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Decaf Tea???

• My OB just told me to get some Lipton Decaf tea... its been working for me. Granted I've only had two cups...GL
  • Thanks! Yeah thats probably better than the fancy schmancy ones at starbucks =)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Black teas are fine (Lipton Decaf).  Try to avoid green teas because they can block the absorption of folic acid. I've read the herbs that are bad and honestly the only one I've ever heard of was Camomile (one to avoid). So if you do want an herbal - stick with a mint.
  • Oh thank you! I also heard red raspberry leaf tea starts early contractions??? So Ill stay away from that for now lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB said that herbal teas are fine as long as you mix it up and don't drink a lot of one kind too often.

She also said the green tea would block folic acid if you took the two together.

I have heard mixed things.

What is bad about chamomile? 

• I know that Starbucks has a line of Black teas, I believe they call is "Awake".  Just ask them if they have it in decaf!
    ~*~Kathleen~*~ Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageStephieLM:
    Oh thank you! I also heard red raspberry leaf tea starts early contractions??? So Ill stay away from that for now lol

It doesn't actually start contractions.  Herbs that can do that are called emmenagogues, and red raspberry leaf is not one.  What red raspberry leaf does is "tone" the uterus so that contractions are more productive once you're actually in labor.  I drank a cup a day while PG with DD and have this time, as well.

You do want to stay away from herbal teas that have "medicinal quantities" of herbs that are considered emmenagogues or abortifacients - mugwort, clary sage, etc.  Regular teas (even with herbs) are just fine.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Decaf black teas are fine. 

What OBs typically want you to stay away from are herbal teas.  Herbs, in general, are not regulated by the FDA and therefore there isn't much, if any, studies that show effects on pregnancy.  

~Olivia~
  • I heard don't drink more than 1 cup per day and even then I read that green tea is not good during your pregnancy because it stops you from absorbing folic acid. I'm staying away from tea completely.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"