1st Trimester

Admitting to pregnancy in a job interview?

I'm an out of work teacher, looking to get back into the classroom next school year. I just found out that I'm pregnant and due 10/23, which is PLENTY of time to start the school year, establish rules, and have a succesful transition to the sub (my first kid was born 10/2 and I had no problems). I've been applying for jobs and will hopefully start getting some interviews soon. Is it wrong to hide my "condition" until after I've been offered a job? The first time around, I hid it until the end of the school year, when they renewed my contract, but I had already been at that school for several months. I don't know if any school would want to hire someone they know they will lose (temporarily) early in the year... however, assuming I interview in the next few months, I wouldn't be ready to tell random strangers anyway! What do you think?

Re: Admitting to pregnancy in a job interview?

• Don't admit to anything.  Unless you're obviously showing...

You are under no legal obligation to tell them and they're not supposed to ask or discriminate against you.

However, if you were completely equal to another applicant and they knew you were pregnant, odds are they would give the job to the non-pregnant applicant.

Good luck!

• Not wrong at all!  My friend is a school psychologist and had a due date of early Feb.  She waited until she was 20-22 weeks before she told them.  She was hired in August and wanted to prove herself.  They had no problems with her maternity leave.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Having known a lot of teachers, and also the fact that SO is a teacher, maybe you can do long-term subbing or something until the second half of the school year? 

I know a lot of schools would rather not hire a teacher they know will be out in less than two months on maternity leave - and there's no true indicator as to whether or not they will be back.  I also think that, depending on your state and its particular union laws, the district itself may be able to do something for misrepresenting yourself...remember, when you sign the new school year contract, it is for a full school year.  They might be able to get you on breach of contract...

Just my two cents...hth!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemonkiem:

Having known a lot of teachers, and also the fact that SO is a teacher, maybe you can do long-term subbing or something until the second half of the school year? 

I know a lot of schools would rather not hire a teacher they know will be out in less than two months on maternity leave - and there's no true indicator as to whether or not they will be back.  I also think that, depending on your state and its particular union laws, the district itself may be able to do something for misrepresenting yourself...remember, when you sign the new school year contract, it is for a full school year.  They might be able to get you on breach of contract...

Just my two cents...hth!

I'm confused by this.  If they were to fire her, that would be discrimination right?  I don't think not disclosing a pregnancy, which by law they can't ask about during an interview, is misrepresenting.

The only think I could see is if she decides not to go back after giving birth/maternity leave.  It doesn't sound like she's planning to do this.

Maybe I misunderstood or read this wrong.

• imageblondie42107:
    imagemonkiem:

Having known a lot of teachers, and also the fact that SO is a teacher, maybe you can do long-term subbing or something until the second half of the school year? 

Just my two cents...hth!

I'm confused by this.  If they were to fire her, that would be discrimination right?  I don't think not disclosing a pregnancy, which by law they can't ask about during an interview, is misrepresenting.

The only think I could see is if she decides not to go back after giving birth/maternity leave.  It doesn't sound like she's planning to do this.

No...sorry, my brain has shut off for the week...my fault, I probably didn't word it properly.  Ok...try again: no, they're not allowed to ask if you're expecting during the interview.  And no, they're not allowed to NOT hire you based upon [any] disclosure you may or may not make pertaining to it.  However, I know that at one school here, a teacher was grieved for breach of contract for signing her yearly contract and then going on her maternity leave within a short period of time...I think their reasoning was that yes, she's entitled under FMLA; but since she had known that she would need this, she should have disclosed it prior to signing her contract.

I'm just saying this because people can be jerks...if they were to refuse her the job after disclosing this info, they are in violation of EO laws.

• They can't even ask you if your expecting. As long as your able to do everything the job requires then you don't need to tell them right away.
    imageimage    
    imageimage
  • imagemonkiem:
    imageblondie42107:
    imagemonkiem:

Just my two cents...hth!

No...sorry, my brain has shut off for the week...my fault, I probably didn't word it properly.  Ok...try again: no, they're not allowed to ask if you're expecting during the interview.  And no, they're not allowed to NOT hire you based upon [any] disclosure you may or may not make pertaining to it.  However, I know that at one school here, a teacher was grieved for breach of contract for signing her yearly contract and then going on her maternity leave within a short period of time...I think their reasoning was that yes, she's entitled under FMLA; but since she had known that she would need this, she should have disclosed it prior to signing her contract.

I'm just saying this because people can be jerks...if they were to refuse her the job after disclosing this info, they are in violation of EO laws.

Ah!  Okay.  I don't agree with the breach in contract for not disclosing a pregnancy but that's my opinion and I'm not a teacher so it doesn't matter :)

Thanks for explaining further!

• Like the others said you are under no obligation to say anything, but IMO you should. I think it's kinda deceptive to "hide" it and it would start you off on the wrong foot with your employers.  Don't say anything unless you are asked back as a serious candidate.  And then be forthcoming and tell them that you will return and your previous experience and that you would have everything in place.  Approach them with a plan already thought out and I think that will impress them, as opposed to playing Gotcha! after you sign a contract.

image image

• imageMrsLeanna:

Like the others said you are under no obligation to say anything, but IMO you should. I think it's kinda deceptive to "hide" it and it would start you off on the wrong foot with your employers.  Don't say anything unless you are asked back as a serious candidate.  And then be forthcoming and tell them that you will return and your previous experience and that you would have everything in place.  Approach them with a plan already thought out and I think that will impress them, as opposed to playing Gotcha! after you sign a contract.

I like this one.  Smile  ::::crawls back under covers::::

• I would probably tell them either when I went to sign the contract or very shortly after, depending on the timeline. I don't want to be dishonest, but I also don't want to screw anyone over. I don't know if it has changed in the past three years, but when I had my daughter, FMLA stated that I was only guaranteed the safety of my job if I had been there a year... I was concerned because I was due a few weeks short of my one year anniversary. Luckily, my school was great.

• Your job isn't protected by FMLA if you haven't been actively employed for 12 months.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would not tell them until you are OFFERED the job. Once you accept, you should tell them. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No reason to tell them until they offer you the job - it shouldn't be a factor in the process.  A friend of mine was pregnant with twins and interviewing for teaching jobs. She told them at the offer, and the principal said they are hiring her for 20 years of good experiences, not just the 6-8 weeks she would be off, so they would work on getting the sub early so they could do the lesson plans together. She was off the first 8 weeks of school, and transitioned back in with no problems because she worked very closely with the sub, still came in to meet the parents and students, and stayed involved. Good luck!

• my stance on it is this, If I went for a job interview tomorrow being i'm only 8 weeks today is I would not say anything. A lot can happen between now and when I'd be due (You can look at my siggy should explain why i feel this way). Not saying something is going to happen with anyones pregnancy but this early on and you're due mid october I wouldn't, but that is just me.
  • I am having the same problem. I just finished culinary school and I am trying to find an externship. I am due October 12th, I am worried about telling a potential employer about my pregnancy and them not hiring me bacause they may see me as high risk, but at the same time, working in a commercial kitchen involves ALOT of very heavy lifting, which I cannot do. I don't want them to hire me and then think I am simply a slacker for not carrying heavy items. *sigh* I am really torn.
  • imagejastl32:
    I would not tell them until you are OFFERED the job. Once you accept, you should tell them. 
    This.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"