Orange County Babies

Hoag Hospital

Are there any ladies here that have delivered there? What was your experience? My best friend delivered there and loved it, she said they even gave them a steak and lobster dinner the night before they checked out. WHAT? She said it was a celebration package but I can't find anything about it on their website or through a web research.

Did you find the facility to be nice, the staff to be knowledgable and helpful?

Pro's Con's?

You get the picture =D

Re: Hoag Hospital

• I have nothing but good things to say about Hoag. I delivered there in August. The staff was knowledgeable. The accommodations were hotel-like. My DD had some issues and the hospital kept her in the NICU for 3 days to run tests and observation. DD was fine, but I am so glad they did because I heard about a hoag baby that showed similar symptoms and a potentially dangerous infection was caught because they decided to keep that baby longer and run the same tests on her. Indeed, you do get the celebratory dinner, and the steak was not bad. It isn't five star, but doesn't taste like what you'd think hospital food would taste like. Labor, Delivery and Recovery room is spacious. We had an ocean view  during in LDR and up at the room I stayed in afterwards as well. Their cafeteria is open nearly 24 hours. I note this because after fasting for over a day, I could not stop eating! They also have a fridge stocked with salads, sandwiches, applesauce, etc The nurses are SUPER friendly! I guess the only con I can think of is that my OBGYN was out of town when I went into labor. I ended up with the doctor on call, and he's kind of a cranky pants. However, I did have complications in my delivery and he did prove extremely competent. Despite the complications, I was fine and recovered quickly. Oooh and their spritzers are delish!
  • And comped valet! Seriously, I've been to hotels that are inferior.
  • Loading the player...
  • LOL at steak and lobster!  well there was no lobster, but there was a congratulations dinner that was filet mignon.  It was pretty good, though it was hospital style!  :)  They were awesome, the staff loves what they do and it shows.  The rooms are great, all private and some have ocean views.  I got hooked up because I have friends in high places that got me a corner ocean view, but even if you are on the Costa Mesa side, the rooms are still nice.  Other then that, I think the experience is comparable to other hospitals.  I think the best part was the nurses.  They were the heavy when I needed it (kicking people out of the room when I was done with visitors) and just a general sense that they enjoy caring for patients and they are there to help.  I cant say enough great things about the staff!  Plus I wanted to stay an extra day (they gave me the option to stay), but H wanted to leave and go home.  pooo!  PM if you have any other questions!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loved Hoag! My husband and I are considering moving out of state, and I told him that if we are planning on having another baby we are staying here, till baby #2 is born,  so I can deliever at Hoag.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's awesome =D

I was wondering about the dinner issue because she made it seem like it was an add on...like something you pay for and I couldn't figure out how to find it. But I have heard great things. My OBGYN only delivers there, but I still want to hear other peoples experiences and how they liked it.

• imageLadyAphrodite:
    I have nothing but good things to say about Hoag. I delivered there in August. The staff was knowledgeable. The accommodations were hotel-like. My DD had some issues and the hospital kept her in the NICU for 3 days to run tests and observation. DD was fine, but I am so glad they did because I heard about a hoag baby that showed similar symptoms and a potentially dangerous infection was caught because they decided to keep that baby longer and run the same tests on her. Indeed, you do get the celebratory dinner, and the steak was not bad. It isn't five star, but doesn't taste like what you'd think hospital food would taste like. Labor, Delivery and Recovery room is spacious. We had an ocean view  during in LDR and up at the room I stayed in afterwards as well. Their cafeteria is open nearly 24 hours. I note this because after fasting for over a day, I could not stop eating! They also have a fridge stocked with salads, sandwiches, applesauce, etc The nurses are SUPER friendly! I guess the only con I can think of is that my OBGYN was out of town when I went into labor. I ended up with the doctor on call, and he's kind of a cranky pants. However, I did have complications in my delivery and he did prove extremely competent. Despite the complications, I was fine and recovered quickly. Oooh and their spritzers are delish!

I think I might be misreading a part of this...did the baby get the infection because of the testing or she got an infection and they were able to catch it because of the testing...?

• I had a fair experience there- it was very busy so they overlooked my admission and i did not get dinner the night after delivery. We also did not get the celebration dinner (but that is ok since i bed resting in the hospital for 2 weeks and had all the entrees before) It also took 20 mins before a nurse would come to help with anything (again it was really just SO busy) The rooms are ok but nothing compared to the antepartum units.  My dd had to stay extra days as well for jaundice and they took really good care of her.

So over all i would say it was an 8 out of 10. 

• imageIfferMarie:

That's awesome =D

I was wondering about the dinner issue because she made it seem like it was an add on...like something you pay for and I couldn't figure out how to find it. But I have heard great things. My OBGYN only delivers there, but I still want to hear other peoples experiences and how they liked it.

I believe the celebrations package dinner does cost extra... I don't have the Hoag paperwork here, but I know at St. Joseph it was $300 for a similiar experience (but it included a private room at St. Joseph & all of Hoag is private).

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • It doesn't cost extra $.  It is basically dinner for the night for your and your husband/SO/mom (whoever is there for you).  You get to order it the first night you are there and I think the last night its your meal.  I had a C-section, so I was there for a while, so we had time to plan it out and time to pick what we wanted.  Every night (except that one) you as the patient get a meal, but on the celebration night, they feed one other person.  There was like 2-3 choices (I dont rememer now) and you get sparkling apple cider.  But there is no extra money involved. 

Oh here is a tip... since all your meals are covered (as the patient) what we did was order one item from each group.  That way my H had something to eat too.  So if you only want cereal and juice, then order that and eggs, sausage or whatever so he can eat as well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesimplicty:

I had a fair experience there- it was very busy so they overlooked my admission and i did not get dinner the night after delivery. We also did not get the celebration dinner (but that is ok since i bed resting in the hospital for 2 weeks and had all the entrees before) It also took 20 mins before a nurse would come to help with anything (again it was really just SO busy) The rooms are ok but nothing compared to the antepartum units.  My dd had to stay extra days as well for jaundice and they took really good care of her.

So over all i would say it was an 8 out of 10. 

That's really too bad. Even if they are busy you should get to have that special time with your husband!

There is a possibility I may be a high risk pregnancy and Hoag was recommended for that. Most importantly I want to have a competent staff and a healthy baby. But it would be nice to taken care of for a few days =D

• Okay, nobody told me about the fridge stocked with food.  That is not cool.

Delivering there is really great.  I did not want to leave either, wanted to stay that last day, but DH convinced me that we could handle things at home.  By that point, it was Thursday, and we had been there since my water broke on Sunday afternoon.  I had a c-section, and my post-surgery care was top-notch.  I also loved that you get to order your meals from a menu, rather than just having to eat whatever they give you.  All of the rooms are private, the baby sleeps in your room with you, and there is a couch that turns into a bed for DH to sleep on.  They have a lactation consultant that is available each morning, and all of the nurses are trained in lactation and can help you with most questions.  It's just a wonderful hospital.  You'll love it.

• imagemisslb02:

Oh here is a tip... since all your meals are covered (as the patient) what we did was order one item from each group.  That way my H had something to eat too.  So if you only want cereal and juice, then order that and eggs, sausage or whatever so he can eat as well. 

This is a great suggestion.  I did not do this so DH had to go get his own food from the cafeteria, which is not close, or leave the hospital to eat.

• AMAZING! No lobster but there is a steak dinner. I actually opted for the pasta option because after delivering a baby, steak just seemed a bit heavy! No cons, all pros. We experienced the NICU, too, and the nurses there made our sad and scary situation much much better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our baby didn't get an infection. She was "taking breaks from breathing" and turning blue. They kept her and tested her for infections. However, a month later, another mom delivered at Hoag and her baby had the same symptoms as ours. Hoag did the same thing with that baby and it turns out the baby had an infection.
  • People from out of state come to deliver at Hoag and make a vacation out of it so that should tell you something...

I didn't get lobster, I think it does depend on $$$. I have HMO so I only got the steak and while it's a nice gesture it wasn't made to order an I'm pretty picky with steaks...The staff is the greatest!!! Extremely knowledgeable, helpful and respectful. We were pretty cranky by the thrid night with hardly any sleep and DH can get pretty demanding but they were very understanding.

They have Wi-fi too so you can still be connected with those who didn't/or you didn't want to visit you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"